Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Learning to Program  (Read 4829 times)

Cordacc

• Commander
    • View Profile
Learning to Program
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

So I got into this game a little while ago and tried modding, starting with trylobot's editor and moving on to learn how to sprite with Photoshop. I now am trying to learn to program so I can actually understand what all the test means and decipher all the errors without relying on others, I would love suggestions on the best way to get started, currently I was thinking of starting with code academy, but that is in java and I believe starfarer has a custom one. So you people that actually know how to code stuff how would you suggest i get started?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to Program
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:38:20 PM »

Well if you found a good java tutorial you have your answer. That is the best place to start. All Starfarer's code is java, even the mod scripting. Which is incredibly impressive by the way.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »

Well if you found a good java tutorial you have your answer. That is the best place to start. All Starfarer's code is java, even the mod scripting. Which is incredibly impressive by the way.

Just to be curious (since you work as a game dev) but exactly how hard is it to code in C#? And what are the differences of it and java?

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »

Just to be curious (since you work as a game dev) but exactly how hard is it to code in C#? And what are the differences of it and java?

I'm a fairly beginning coder, but C# is my favourite language. Syntax-wise, C# and Java are pretty close, but Java has better cross-platform support while C# is, I believe, a little more efficient and tied to Windows.

All coding is kind of hard - or at least, unlike anything else you're likely to have done outside of scripting - but I think C# is easier to start with than most, given the good dev tools available in MS Studio.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

I personally learned to program with Python and find the syntax of both C and Java to be needlessly complicated, especially for beginners. That said, most languages are the same at heart. Once you learn one language and know what the various data structures are, you have a good start on learning all of them.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »

I like c# a little more than java, but they are roughly equivalent.
EDIT: That's not very informative. C# has more focus on "properties"or whatever they call it. Which is honestly nice. But it's not really that different from java. Mono is a cross-platform version of c#, but it's not really up to date or complete, I believe. I kind of hate java, but it's mostly building it. Coding it is fine.

C/C++ is what most game devs use. Not sure if that is entirely necessary anymore? Maybe on consoles...

Python is awesome.  :D  It's my quick and dirty language, haha.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:53:53 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Mason151

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »

Python is the best learning language since you can get all of basics down pat in there so you don't have to worry about it later on. In the programming class at my high school we started with Java and C++ which was pretty good to start with as well. It's really down to preference, out of the 3 languages I'm learning (Objective-C being the third) Java is my favorite.