Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Infinity Universe  (Read 8554 times)

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
Infinity Universe
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

www.infinity-universe.com

I know it isn't Starfarer but what do you guys think? Personally i'd love, somewhere down the road, to have 2D seamless transitions into planets and landing. Perhaps even have ground battles with little soldiers and tanks on the ground (top-down view) while you assist with fire and soldier drop offs. Essentially the same fleet battles but with a planet surface as background and the enemies can be tanks and soldiers and buildings. Or perhaps a very smart super zoom system that would keep the game in true scale while allowing FTL speeds - you could zoom into your fleet  in a battle close up or zoom out and see your fleet traveling  across the star system with realistic scales betweeen planets and stuff. I know it'l never happen but, you know, something for v3.0? :D

EDIT: on their website check the tech demo videos.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Universe
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »

Just checked that game.

Went :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o OMFG

That just looks so cool, and i've only seen the pictures :D

Though i think it'd be very hard to replicate in starfarer, since you'd need ground textures aswell, and alot of coding to support that many things at once.
Though it'd be very cool, and that's my personal opinion.

BTW i will download that game once it comes out ;)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »

*nerdgasm*

AHHH!

Gimme gimme gimme!

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »

It's been in development for as long as I can remember, so don't get your hopes up for anything in the short term  :'(

That said, if it motivates Braben into getting off his arse to create Elite 3 then it's got my support!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:01:50 PM by TJJ »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »

It's been in development for as long as I can remember, so don't get your hopes up for anything in the short term  :'(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The TimCORP has arrived there too ;D ;D

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »

Just checked that game.

Went :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o OMFG
You should definetly check the videos, realy!
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »

Vaporware much? xD

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »

I'm a bit torn on this project. On the one hand, it looks awesome - really taps into that holy grail of having a huge universe to explore, with a truly majestic sense of scale. On the other hand, can it be actually made into a fun game?

A few quotes from John Carmack come to mind (about the Unlimited Detail tech, but I think it's still relevant here):
Quote from: John Carmack
Proceduralism is just a truly crappy form of data compression.
If you take uninspired content and go look at it at the molecular level, it’s still uninspired content.

That said, I really hope these guys can prove him wrong.

Matt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »

I.. Im so torn on this. I like the similarities to EVE, which is a great game, but I don't see how an infinite universe, however awesome, helps anything. In order to utilize that infinite universe you better have a million dedicated users. I just don't think it'll be able to take off. They want a massive and intricate community to just happen.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:17:40 AM »

I.. Im so torn on this. I like the similarities to EVE, which is a great game, but I don't see how an infinite universe, however awesome, helps anything. In order to utilize that infinite universe you better have a million dedicated users. I just don't think it'll be able to take off. They want a massive and intricate community to just happen.

Corporations are already forming there, and there are some major players (corps.) on the forums there ;)

Think it has alot of potenital, if it reaches alot of players.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »

It's been discussed to death in the infinity forums, the 400ish billion stars planned is for all purposes infinite, which makes a ton of people go "wait, how will I ever find and interact with other players in such a huge galaxy". The answer is that players, their crews, and colonies will be somewhat dependent on the pre-established cores. Cities will require immigrants and trade to prosper, and nobody is going to trade with you if you are too far, there's a certain point where it would just become uneconomical. There's a few other mechanics being tossed around like crew morale and different fuel types that would do even more towards the same end as well. So, the solution thats being used for this problem is basically making the players dependent on already colonized space and therefore concentrating the player-base in a small part of that practically infinite galaxy.

Anyway, the engine infinity is in on (i-novae) is going into beta this summer and they are hoping to license it for funding that they then plan to use to make the infinity MMO with, so things seem to be progressing nicely for now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:34:19 PM by Mattk50 »

Matt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »

~shortened~

I guess with that system, it makes sense. Effectively it is infinite so they can claim it is, but in reality to try and utilize infinite space is impractical and impossible. I might hang out in their forums for a bit... check out the playerbase. Thanks for sharing this, frag!

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »

...can it be actually made into a fun game?

Therein lies the problem, how do you use an infinitely large procedural space & planet engine?  Most recently, the Blockade Runner devs have been talking about using a procedural voxel planet system similar to Minecraft's world gen.  BlockadeRunner and Minecraft can get away with procedural world generation because of their art styles and gameplay, but it's still a ways out before its usable and perhaps even further away from being the best option for a more realistic space game like XCOM or Eve Online.