Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.35a (Preview Released) - Patch Notes  (Read 81367 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.35a Preview - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »

There might be a preview depending on how the war room revamp goes. I wouldn't hold out for a balance preview, though - that is scheduled about dead last in the plan, due to various dependencies - so by the time it's done, it'll be actual release time.

PD burst laser weapons will be perfect for the Earthling Cruiser and Autonomous Fighters.

Oh yeah, they do sound good for it. I'm biased (duh) but they're extremely fun to use. So much so that it's tempting to make them overpowered.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 02:56:27 AM »

• Interceptors are more wary of PD weapons

Does this mean they will stay away from PD ships in general?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 06:58:40 AM »

I think that it means that they will avoid ships with lots of PD weapons.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »

Wow, you've been busy on the AI. Huzzah!

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »

AI update sounds imposing  ;D Glad to see you guys focused on improving the AI when so many other developers are satisfied with mediocre AI in their games.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »

And this is just on the tactical level - you're setting yourself a high bar for the strategic level!

(I'm sure you can pull it off by the way)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »

Nothing quite so drastic, though that might not be a bad idea in general. For now they're just less likely to maintain close contact.

The whole time I was working on this (which was almost a solid week), I thought that I ought to be working on new features instead, but this felt like it just had to be done - so thanks for your support, guys, makes me feel better about it :) The AI is in a much better place now, both in how it behaves already, and in being prepared to handle new gameplay features, obey orders, etc.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »

Good features are without exception always good to have, but single player games are worthless without competent AI. Something that a lot of companies just don't seem to care about.

I realize you need to lay down the low-level infrastructure for the AI in order to continue on in development in such an AI dependent game, but there's also the risk of wasted efforts and time by investing in AI work that will need to end up being removed / re-written due to unforeseen issues later in development.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:16:24 PM by Blips »

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »

There may be lots of things that could be added to this game but as it is it is very fun to play.  If each step you take leaves you with a well-polished product you can ensure that it always makes a good impression on people.  Missing features seems less detrimental than having shoddy functionality.  (not that anything is shoddy about it now...  ;D)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »

Nothing quite so drastic, though that might not be a bad idea in general. For now they're just less likely to maintain close contact.

I was just worried about the prospect of chasing a single wing of interceptors around the map with what's left of my capitals and frigates, thanks for allaying my fears :P.

I can't wait to see how the ships react.

Nice update on the features page by the way.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »

Good features are without exception always good to have, but single player games are worthless without competent AI. Something that a lot of companies just don't seem to care about.

I realize you need to lay down the low-level infrastructure for the AI in order to continue on in development in such an AI dependent game, but there's also the risk of wasted efforts and time by investing in AI work that will need to end up being removed / re-written due to unforeseen issues later in development.

I don't think it's a risk. It's a certainty :) Still, I feel like this latest revision is going to hold up for a while. A lot of the combat gameplay is in place, and the AI design should be able to accommodate the things that are coming up quite nicely.

Overdesigning early and wasting effort is one thing, taking a look at your existing and near-future needs and writing something that fits is quite another.

And I completely agree about the AI being critically important, of course.

There may be lots of things that could be added to this game but as it is it is very fun to play.  If each step you take leaves you with a well-polished product you can ensure that it always makes a good impression on people.  Missing features seems less detrimental than having shoddy functionality.  (not that anything is shoddy about it now...  ;D)

Thanks for the compliment :) The tricky part is not spending too much time polishing things that subsequently get changed. That's part of the price of having early playable releases, and imo the tradeoff of getting the game out there and having real feedback is more than worth it.

Even trickier is being able to trash things you've spent a lot of time on when that's the right decision... but I digress.

I was just worried about the prospect of chasing a single wing of interceptors around the map with what's left of my capitals and frigates, thanks for allaying my fears :P.

I can't wait to see how the ships react.

Nice update on the features page by the way.

Ahh, yeah, shouldn't have to worry - they would retreat from combat anyway. Glad you like the new features page!

By the way, I wrote up a new blog post talking about the AI, and the collision avoidance algorithm in particular, if you guys are interested in checking it out. There's also a video with some in-game overlays that demonstrate how the AI sees things, featuring a Tempest avoiding a whole lot of LRM-delivered pain.

Dibuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 02:43:37 AM »

You have never played cortex command, eh?

Although it's nice to see that Alex aspire to make a good AI, but saying it would be worthless is a bit to steep.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 02:53:22 AM »

If you want no conflict or challenge, then sure, the lack of anything resembling AI would not be a problem for you I suppose.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 03:01:36 AM »

There are certain factors that alleviate the problems caused by bad AI, one of them is simplicity as in the case of Cortex command. Other like a restraining environment, limit the actions the AI and the person can make making it seem like the AI is competent when it might just have three possible moves to consider. There are game play factors as well, the AI being incredibly stupid might have a quantitative or qualitative superiority over the player. On the flip side, good AI can be said to be compensating for some of those same factors as well.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »

I thought it was kind of obvious, but I wasn't talking about simplistic games but rather single player strategy and tactic related games where AI opponents must be competent in order to make the game enjoyable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6