Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.35a (Preview Released) - Patch Notes  (Read 81316 times)

JWNoctis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.35a Preview - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »

By the way, the missiles do lead their targets - they'd be much worse if they just tracked the current position - but if you're trying to chase down something that's faster and/or more maneuverable, there's only so much you can do.

Must have something to do with me spending too much time around HSS Bis'mar...And proportional guidance would indeed be nice! Though simple tail-chasers would still make up for something cheap that can be fired in great numbers.

The next thing down the line would probably be shielded missiles that drop their shields right before impact...That would probably be too much...Or is it already there?

Or there could be swarm missiles that would first bracket their target wolfpack-style from a safe range, then goes into attack mode from multiple direction at once to maximize their effectiveness against AoE PDs like flak cannon, and non-omnidirectional shields.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »

The next thing down the line would probably be shielded missiles that drop their shields right before impact...That would probably be too much...Or is it already there?

I think the more dangerous option would be the missile not dropping its shields upon impact. If there are enough then it can potentially push a ship out of alignment.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »

Shielded missiles sounds awesome, but such things should be really late in the tech tree.

RooksBailey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »

I have been toying with the idea of implementing the actual Sidewinder target tracking algorithm, though. What's in the game now basically does the same thing, but the way the real algorithm does it is just so elegant.

I had no idea that such things were in the public domain!

JWNoctis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 05:43:17 AM »

I have been toying with the idea of implementing the actual Sidewinder target tracking algorithm, though. What's in the game now basically does the same thing, but the way the real algorithm does it is just so elegant.

I had no idea that such things were in the public domain!
Those things are really no secret now...It's the mechanical implementation that actually matters. There are actually missile simulators that outright simulate older surface-to-air missile systems to individual switch and knob, with accurate flight profile produced by their once-top-secret physical parameter and targeting algorithm similar to this one out there, available to public...That thing's hardcore.

Speaking of shield-ramming missiles...Wouldn't it be better to mount engines on heavier things, like asteroids, and let them go full newtonian on bigger ships?  Would probably be fun!

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 06:16:06 AM »

That could basically be another class of ship.

JWNoctis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

Probably, but not so much if we make it into a sort of CAPTOR mine in space that's otherwise indistinguishable(Depending on sensors) from other rocks floating around, and physically rams, or launch missiles, preferably torpedoes, against anything that aren't themselves or other asteroids at short to point-blank range...Not exactly realistic. Not before strategical level gameplay gets into place.

On the other hand, pre-Collapse minefields with these sorts of things, if any of them are still functional after all these y....er, cycles, could make up for some good place for adventure, and -probably- offer some good salvage...I'm sure something like this is already on the way.

Darkreaver1980

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »

I also would like to see shielded missiles / torpedos. That would be realy nasty high tech weapons

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 02:52:38 AM »

They would also probably be huge.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »

The functional parts of the new fleet control interface are just about done! I have to say that I'm very happy with how it came out, hope you guys like it when you get your hands on it.

Now it needs some visual polish - and after that will be ready for prime-time. I think you'll be surprised by how much less stuff there is on the map screen.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »

I'm liking the changes to the controls/view you mentioned. R, Z, the like. Good changes, all around. Can't wait!

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:35 AM »

I like the z and r changes as well, though about the pause/unpause behavior of the war-room, what happens if you have the game paused and then enter?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »

Hopefully the intermediate release won't be too far in the future :)

I like the z and r changes as well, though about the pause/unpause behavior of the war-room, what happens if you have the game paused and then enter?

It stays paused. When you exit, it'll still stay paused unless you unpaused before exiting.

TescoBag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2011, 12:05:07 PM »

Quick question.

Are you going to be adding weapon outfitting into this release? I.E. being able to customize our ships weapon loadouts etc?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »

Not into this intermediate release, no. But it's not too far in the future - it's quite literally next up on the todo list.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6