Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: IRC Channel  (Read 19145 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
IRC Channel
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »

We now have an officially unofficial IRC channel that theShadow was kind enough to set up (and is the operator of):

http://webchat.freenode.net/
Channel: #starfarer

Do drop in and say hi!

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
Re: IRC Channel
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »

You can also connect by downloading an irc application, such as mirc, xchat, colloquy, etc. Just search for irc clients, and find the one that suits you.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »

Just a note:
single # channels that are not officially registered are being phased out afaik. Also because of the proprietary nature of starfarer, I think a ## channel would be required for any modding discussion (considered 'off-topic') and thus would be constrained to topical (##) channels.

I'm not entirely sure, you may want to contact freenode staff for clairification.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »

The channel is intended as an official channel. Alex just hasn't registered everything yet. When he gets back on, I will deal with it.
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »

official on freenode? I heard that takes a while (*is an op on #transcendence - official-ization seems to be taking a while, even though one of the other ops is getting things expedited via connections*)

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

I don't know about that, i guess. But the channel is now registered with chanserv, so at least it won't disappear when I log out.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »

It's either officially unofficial, or unofficially official, but whichever way you slice it, it's not quite official.

Just a note:
single # channels that are not officially registered are being phased out afaik. Also because of the proprietary nature of starfarer, I think a ## channel would be required for any modding discussion (considered 'off-topic') and thus would be constrained to topical (##) channels.

I'm not entirely sure, you may want to contact freenode staff for clairification.

I'm not sure I understand. It's hard to imagine someone would actually be policing the channel... I suppose it would get to be an issue if there were a lot of people on and different topics would create too much noise, but it's definitely not at that point yet. Am I missing something here?

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:30:55 AM »

really, as far as I am concerned, the fact that you are aware of and endorse the channel makes it official, at least technically enough to warrant the #. Freenode mainly want to discern between a completely fan run channel and the official channel for the same thing. As we only have one channel at present, it doesn't really matter. When modding becomes a bigger community, we can make other channels specifically for it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:29:33 AM »

really, as far as I am concerned, the fact that you are aware of and endorse the channel makes it official, at least technically enough to warrant the #. Freenode mainly want to discern between a completely fan run channel and the official channel for the same thing. As we only have one channel at present, it doesn't really matter. When modding becomes a bigger community, we can make other channels specifically for it.

I see. Sounds good to me.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »

Alek, could you perhaps add links to the IRC channel and the wiki at the bottom of the features page, under the "sounds neat what now" section?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »

Not a bad idea. Btw, is there a way to put the channel into the URL somehow?

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »

http://oreilly.com/pub/h/2018

that should do what you want. You could also maybe provide a link to the freenode webchat.

I would still state the server and channel name, though. just in case.

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:57 AM »

I can't seem to connect using my standard IRC client. :/

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »

what client is it? and how are you trying to connect? (using the HTML link, or typing in the network and channel name manually)