Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Acchevements  (Read 13600 times)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Acchevements
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

Alex just made a blog post :o
You can read it here http://fractalsoftworks.com/blog/

In it he perposed accevements and asked us to descuss adding them to starfarer i am starting this thread to fialasate this.

Personaly i think that it would be a great idea but "grinding accevements" would be a bad thing though
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:49:35 PM by sdmike1 »

Facade

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Acchevements
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »

I don't generally care for achievements, though that's mostly because I feel that most games handle them poorly.
I'd be fine with them if they actually felt like ACHIEVEMENTS, i.e a feat that takes a lot of skill and/or luck.
Like, say, blowing up a ship 3 size categories larger than yours solo, or winning a battle when horribly outmatched. Make them bragging rights rather than check-lists of things to do in the game.

Even then, I'd rather not have them in the game.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

I don't generally care for achievements, though that's mostly because I feel that most games handle them poorly.
I'd be fine with them if they actually felt like ACHIEVEMENTS, i.e a feat that takes a lot of skill and/or luck.
Like, say, blowing up a ship 3 size categories larger than yours solo, or winning a battle when horribly outmatched. Make them bragging rights rather than check-lists of things to do in the game.

Even then, I'd rather not have them in the game.

Maybe instead of achievements there could be a sort of "title" system.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »

I am strongly in the no achievements camp; I feel that a sense of achievement should come naturally from the progression of the game. That said, some saved stats would be nice so we could see what we have done.

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:18:40 PM »

I am strongly in the no achievements camp; I feel that a sense of achievement should come naturally from the progression of the game. That said, some saved stats would be nice so we could see what we have done.

+1  I would also like to see individual ship stats, but that's another topic.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »

+1  I would also like to see individual ship stats, but that's another topic.

+2 I guess.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »

+3

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »

+4. Numerical stats to pat ourselves on the back with please.
That said. If you want something similar to achievements which don't break immersion, how about having that little news feed display fitting news about your fleet? Kill lots of Hegemony fleets, hear some sort of alert from them, perhaps with attendant increase in the fleets chasing you.
I'd still prefer he get campaign done first above all.

DougieK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »

Long term (former) WoW player here.

If you're going to do this, please make them actually mean something.   An achievement should require a certain amount of skill, and be something that you have to actively go after. Achievements like "fall 65 feet without dying"  that you get accidently when you aren't watching where you're walking are garbage.

Things like defeat a 4 stack hegemony fleet using only frigates,  now that would be really seriously good fun.

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »

Long term (former) WoW player here.

If you're going to do this, please make them actually mean something.   An achievement should require a certain amount of skill, and be something that you have to actively go after. Achievements like "fall 65 feet without dying"  that you get accidently when you aren't watching where you're walking are garbage.

Things like defeat a 4 stack hegemony fleet using only frigates,  now that would be really seriously good fun.

Mass tempests.  Hope that helps.

7007King0770

• Ensign
  • Boom, there goes the enemy's ship.
    • View Profile
    • My Minecraft Server, Please join if you enjoy playing Minecraft, in addition to Starfarer.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »

I think that full blown achievements should be put in the game, but that they should have a On/Off switch in the game's options. Starting the game default with the achievements Off. This is my take on the adding of achievements, what do you think of my opinion on the situation? It doesn't matter any more then yours guys, but it's nice to share them.

7sides

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:16 AM »

I would be very happy if there are ship stats about: Ship kills (final blow), total damage dealt and received, most used weapon etc.
 If someone does not like them, thats what the "off" option might be for.
 Also for later periods when there are officers, different types of medals would be great as well. And I think that the titles and stats would further the game immersion, at least for all who like the roleplaying element.
It is just awesome to lose a ship with 100 victories to a ship with one fought battle....

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:05 AM »

Sorry for asking but what does ship stats actually achieve? I can understand that some people may like to know something like that but what use does it have? How does it enhance the game?

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »

Sorry for asking but what does ship stats actually achieve? I can understand that some people may like to know something like that but what use does it have? How does it enhance the game?

IMO it's just a nifty thing that would be nice.  As to practicality you could probably use it to see what weapon/ship combinations are best against an opponent.  You could see what weapons were doing most of a ship's damage or on the flip side what weapons weren't being utilized/used at all so that you could change the combinations to best work for your fleet.  Also, I suppose that having accumulative stats just helps grow the attachment that you can have with your ships.  I know that when I lose certain ships that I've named and fought with for hours of play I get a bit sad...

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

In that case I have to disagree. It would be a bad decision to include something 'just because', it would just add to the interface clutter which is something nobody needs.

You can find out what works best against opponent by actually fighting those opponents and seeing the effects of your build in real time. Statistics after the battle aren't going to necessarily help you with this. You would first need to determine what statistics would actually be useful to have, and don't just say damage done because that is a useless stat, it really tells you nothing of how that damage was done, was it effective damage? You don't know just from that stat.

Statistic are a hard thing to use correctly.
Pages: [1] 2 3