Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about the csv files.  (Read 26296 times)

Apokus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Question about the csv files.
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »

Iam looking for some more (only a few words of course) infos about the csv files ;)

First: Weapon csv: plz correct me if iam wrong and fill the blank spots if possible :)

name    - the name of the weapon ingame
id - the name of the file
size - not in there but it would be nice to have it there as a comment (well, if someone want them just ask, ill post them in a new thread then :))
range - yeah how far the weapon can shot   
damage/second   - i would guess thats the dmg a beam weapon does per second while...
damage/shot - ... this is for projectile weapons per hit   
flux - is that the amount of flux a weapon produced while fired or is it the flux a weapon produced at the target if it hits?
impact -    
turn rate - guess the speed a turrent can turn around
OPs -
ammo - how much ammo a weapon has    
type   - Beam/Kinectic/Frag/HE
energy/shot -    
energy/second -    
chargeup - time until the weapon fired after pressing "fire"?
chargedown - time until the weapon is ready for another round?   
burst size - how much "projectiles" left the weapon with the same attack
burst delay - time between the "projectiles"
min spread -   
max spread -    
spread/shot -   
spread decay/sec -   
beam speed - how fast the beam moved across the map    
proj speed   - speed of the projectile after fired
launch speed -    
flight time   -
proj hitpoints - how much hitpoints until it got destroyed by any PD   
hints   - is it a pd ect.
number -

Ships csv:

name    - name of the ship ingame
id - name of the file
designation - the type of the ship, DD, FF, BC ect.   
fleet pts - how many points you have to spend at the mission to get this ship as reinforcment
hitpoints - how much dmg the ship can take until its gone   
armor rating - wee.. heres a question about the mathmatics to get the dmg done by a weapon ;)   
max energy -    
energy regen -    
ordnance points -    
max speed    - how fast the ship will move with default speed (without any bonus from the mission map)
acceleration - well.. self explain   
deceleration - self explain   
max turn rate - the max rate the ship can turn around while not moving i guess?   
turn acceleration - self explaining then   
mass    - where do we need this?
shield type    - Front means it starts in front of the ship and goes around it as far as the shield arc is defiened? (360° for example a bubble while 180° is only covering the front half) and Omni is "build a shield to the direction youre aiming that moment?
shield arc - 360° for example a bubble while 180° is only covering the front half
shield upkeep -    
shield efficiency   -
number -

id - file name @ hull/fighters   
variant - file name @ variants
fleet pts - how many points you need to spend to request the wing at the mission
formation - V , CLAW or BOX formation
num - how many Fighter/Bomber per Wing.. (max 6 right now if iam right, add more and the game will shut down as soon as the mission starts)
role - Fighter/Bomber/Interceptor ....   
refit - how long a refit at a carrier takes?                                          
number -

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the csv files.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »

First, a word of warning - these aren't quite ready for modding prime-time. I'd like to clean the format up a bit and update/rename some things first, as well as add a proper way for someone to install a mod.

So basically expect me to horribly break this at some point with nary an apology :)

Also, the values in the spreadsheet are the ones likely to change for balancing purposes. That's why something like the weapon's size isn't there - it's very unlikely to change.

With that out of the way, nice work figuring this out! More info below.
weapon_data.csv:
impact - Mostly not used anymore. At one point weapons would actually rattle the target around as they hit it, but it never felt just right. The only remnant of that is the graviton beam uses it, which makes it totally screw up any fighter it hits, and is not noticeable against anything else.

OPs - amount of ordnance points it costs to fit a ship with this weapon. Each ships has a fixed pool of OPs to use for equipping weapons and systems. Not used just now.

flux - amount applied to target ship.

Anywhere you see energy, mentally replace that with flux.

spread - accuracy of the weapon as it continues firing. Only applies to ballistic weapons, of course.

launch speed - for missiles, the speed with which it comes off the rack. proj speed is actually the max speed of the missile itself in this case.

flight time - how long the missile can go without fizzling out. In that case, range = flight time * proj speed, and is only used by the AI to decide when to fire.  Also useful for visual comparison purposes.

hints - tells the AI some things it needs to know to use it more capably. Of particular note, PD weapons will target missiles when on autofire.

number - just a column used for sorting

ship_data.csv:
Most of the blanks should be explained by the above.

designation - used in the UI. If a variant's name is Attack, and the hull's designation is Frigate, it'll show up as "Attack Frigate" in the tooltip etc.

mass - used for collision response (i.e., will the ship bounce off or be virtually immovable), and also for collision damage.

shield upkeep - flux/second it generates while up
shield efficiency - flux per point of damage absorbed. lower = better. Right now it's all 0.5 across the board :)

wing_data.csv
Good guesses on all counts.

Apokus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »

First, a word of warning - these aren't quite ready for modding prime-time. I'd like to clean the format up a bit and update/rename some things first, as well as add a proper way for someone to install a mod.

So basically expect me to horribly break this at some point with nary an apology :)

Also, the values in the spreadsheet are the ones likely to change for balancing purposes. That's why something like the weapon's size isn't there - it's very unlikely to change.

Thx for the quick answer!
And no need for an apology :)
I dont want to produce a 100% working mod right now.. my primary target is to learn whats doing what ;)
If thers a working mod at the end its good but not the goal :)
And i guess the more ill learn now, the less i have to learn in the future :D (well.. at least about the stuff thats in right now ;))

But i got another question now ;) The "energy"  flux... is that applied to the target or to the shooting ship?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »

energy/shot, energy/second - these guys? These are applied to the firing ship, that's the flux cost of firing the weapon.

Apokus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »

Great! Thx again :)
But yet another Question  ;D (sry^^)
The Damage/Shot... does that mean the damage of a burst size 5 is Damage*5? Or is it enough if one Projectile hits while 4 misses to get the damage?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »

But yet another Question  ;D (sry^^)
The Damage/Shot... does that mean the damage of a burst size 5 is Damage*5? Or is it enough if one Projectile hits while 4 misses to get the damage?

No worries, my pleasure :)

damage/shot is for each individual shot, whether it's in a burst or otherwise.

Btw, there's another mechanic that's not in the manual yet... armor reduces damage, with more reduction for smaller damage amounts. So higher single-shot damage is better against armor than the same damage spread out over multiple shots.

Apokus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »

Ha..well.. thx again! :)
And yeah.. that sounds logical.. a large projectile has a better chance to penetrate a armor then several small one that will hit different areas... :)
Ha! Good news :) Thats a problemsolver right before i could get to the problem while stucked to some earlier todos :D

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »

How exactly does the armor rating affect the damage reduction and the max HP of the armor?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »

It's a little involved. Don't have the code in front of me, but each armor "cell" has roughly 1/8th of the armor rating worth of hitpoints. Damage reduction is based on a contribution from nearby cells - not just adjacent, a bit farther than that, though the farther off cells contibute less. What armor rating means is how much damage to armor you need to do (after reducton), shooting at a single point, before any damage at all gets through to the hull.

The actual formula is:
actual damage = base damage * base damage / (armor value + base damage)

The actual damage is then applied to armor cells contributing to the armor value, so subsequent hits to the same spot do more damage.

So a hit for 200 points of damage vs armor 200 will be reduced by 50%, and apply 100 points of damage to the armor. The next 200 point hit to the same cell will be reduced by 33% - 200 * 200 / (200 + 100).

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

Ok, thanks. That helps explain a lot of stuff X3

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

hmmm, so now that I think of it, if I say, had 100 beams doing 1 kinetic damage/second, they would be just as good vs shields as a single beam doing 100 kinetic/second, but worse vs. the armor by a good degree, right?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »

Yeah. What they would be really, really awesome against is the frame rate, though.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »

:D
Well, I did exaggerate that a bit... But anyways, I was planning on having a beam weapon that was exceptional vs. shields, but exceptionally poor vs. armor. Thanks for the info

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »

I'm going to bump this for usefulness as well as provide a more distilled version of the csv files with what I know and what the responses in this thread reveal. I know it's going to be redundant pretty soon what with the new version around the corner, but I hope it will be useful in the next compilation of what these value do.

Most of it will be cannibalized from Apokus' original stuff.

weapons_data

starfarer-core => data => weapons=> weapons_data

name - In-game display name. This isn't the name that the codes use for weapons.
id - This is the name that is recognized by the code in the background. IE. If you want to switch out a weapon for another in ship variants, this is the one you use.
tier - This used to be size. According to Ivaylo:

It's something for the next tier of gameplay. Basically, a lower tear means the weapon is one of the following:

worse quality
blueprint for it is generally easier to obtain
from an earlier Domain epoch

It's not in use yet, you can ignore it.

range - "yeah how far the weapon can shot."~ Apokus NOTE, the display radius is in the weapons folder, I don't think merely extending the range would extend the grid display that accompanies the range.

damage/second - Used mainly for beam weapons.

damage/shot - Used for mainly for things that do not continuously damage or the damage takes place when some individual round or warhead impacts. this is for projectile weapons per hit.

flux - "Amount applied to target ship." ~Alex
impact - "Mostly not used anymore. At one point weapons would actually rattle the target around as they hit it, but it never felt just right. The only remnant of that is the graviton beam uses it, which makes it totally screw up any fighter it hits, and is not noticeable against anything else." ~Alex

turn rate - "guess the speed a turrent can turn around" ~Apokus
OPs - Ordnance points. This will presumably be used in the campaign. As far as I know, each ship will have a maximum amount of ordnance points of which each weapon will take up a predetermined amount.
ammo - "how much ammo a weapon has" ~Apokus
type - "Beam/Kinectic/Frag/HE" ~Apokus
energy/shot - Flux generated when fired per shot.
energy/second - Flux generated when weapon is continuous. Measured by the second.

chargeup - A number in this column would make the weapon have to charge up before it shoots. IE. You have to hold the fire button down while a little bar right next to the weapon name on the bottom infor screen charges up before the weapon fires anything.

chargedown - "time until the weapon is ready for another round?" ~Apokus
burst size - The number of projectiles that are fired every time you press the fire button.
burst delay - "time between the "projectiles"" ~Apokus

Note: All spread deals with ballistic weapons.

min spread - Determines how accurate the weapon is. This deals with how accurate the projectiles are allowed to be. A value of 0 would mean you allow rounds to be dead on target.

max spread - Determines how accurate the weapon is. How wild the rounds are allow to be, a high value here corresponds to rounds going everywhere, while a low value corresponds to rounds mostly going to where you aimed it. A value of 0 would mean all your rounds will go where you point the weapon, unlike just allowing for min spread.

spread/shot - ? I'm going to guess this is for weapons that shoot projectiles, if the weapon continuously fires, this is the amount of spread that's going to be added to a total amount of spread making the weapon fire more inaccurately as you hold down the fire button.

spread decay/sec - ? I'm going to guess this is for beams and the like, although it kinda contradicts Alex' statement that all spread deals with ballistics.
beam speed - "how fast the beam moved across the map" ~Apokus
proj speed - "speed of the projectile after fired" ~Apokus
launch speed - Deals with missiles. This is the value that governs how fast the missiles leave the tube before their engines ignite and propel them. I'm going to assume the speed they achieve is going to be their proj speed.
flight time - This value deals with how much fuel the missiles can have their engines up. I've noticed that while missiles can run out of fuel, their warheads do not necessarily become inert. They can still hit things even though their "flight time" is all over.
proj hitpoints - Deals with missiles. "how much hitpoints until it got destroyed by any PD" ~Apokus
number - ?

ships_data

starfarer-core => data => hulls => ships_data

name - "name of the ship ingame" ~Apokus  It's colloquial name.
id - "name of the file" ~Apokus. What the codes abide by.
designation - "the type of the ship, DD, FF, BC ect." ~Apokus
fleet pts - "how many points you have to spend at the mission to get this ship as reinforcment" ~Apokus
hitpoints - "how much dmg the ship can take until its gone" ~Apokus
armor rating - "It's a little involved. Don't have the code in front of me, but each armor "cell" has roughly 1/8th of the armor rating worth of hitpoints. Damage reduction is based on a contribution from nearby cells - not just adjacent, a bit farther than that, though the farther off cells contibute less. What armor rating means is how much damage to armor you need to do (after reducton), shooting at a single point, before any damage at all gets through to the hull.

The actual formula is:
actual damage = base damage * base damage / (armor value + base damage)

The actual damage is then applied to armor cells contributing to the armor value, so subsequent hits to the same spot do more damage.

So a hit for 200 points of damage vs armor 200 will be reduced by 50%, and apply 100 points of damage to the armor. The next 200 point hit to the same cell will be reduced by 33% - 200 * 200 / (200 + 100)." ~Alex

max f ux - The maximum amount of flux that the ship can take before it overloads.    
energy regen - This value deals with how fast the ship can dissipate flux, both without venting flux by pressing v so just sitting there without shields on slowly losing flux, and also governs how fast you vent flux if you do press v.

ordnance points - Total number of ordnance points the ship can take. If the weapons a ship has fills its ordnance points, it may not install any more weapons into slots even if they are empty.

max speed - "how fast the ship will move with default speed (without any bonus from the mission map)" ~Apokus
acceleration - "well.. self explain" Brilliantly ~Apokus
deceleration - "self explain" ~Apokus
max turn rate - "the max rate the ship can turn around while not moving i guess?" ~Apokus Should be the same.
turn acceleration - "self explaining then" ~Apokus How fast the ship accelerates into the turn.
mass - "used for collision response (i.e., will the ship bounce off or be virtually immovable), and also for collision damage." ~Alex
shield type - Front means it starts in front of the ship and goes around it as far as the shield arc is defiened? (360° for example a bubble while

180° is only covering the front half) and Omni is "build a shield to the direction youre aiming that moment?
shield arc - 360° for example a bubble while 180° is only covering the front half
shield upkeep - "shield upkeep - flux/second it generates while up" ~Alex
shield efficiency - flux per point of damage absorbed. lower = better. Right now it's all 0.5 across the board
number - ?

wing_data

starfarer-core => data => hulls => wing_data

id - file name @ hull/fighters
variant - file name @ variants
fleet pts - how many points you need to spend to request the wing at the mission
formation - V , CLAW or BOX formation
num - how many Fighter/Bomber per Wing.. (max 6 right now if iam right, add more and the game will shut down as soon as the mission starts)
role - Fighter/Bomber/Interceptor ....  
refit - how long a refit at a carrier takes.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »

I'm going to bump this for usefulness as well as provide a more distilled version of the csv files with what I know and what the responses in this thread reveal. I know it's going to be redundant pretty soon what with the new version around the corner, but I hope it will be useful in the next compilation of what these value do.

Most of it will be cannibalized from Apokus' original stuff.

Bump for excellent content. Thank you for assembling this data into one post. This is precisely the sort of fundamental modding data that belongs in a permanently stickied Modding Guide at the top of page 1 on this subforum!
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....
Pages: [1] 2