Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: There is a spooky secret planet hidden in the game.  (Read 5984 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
There is a spooky secret planet hidden in the game.
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »

There is a way to create a spooky looking planet in Starfarer.

Do you know how to make it appear?

The answer
Spoiler
Make a 1 by 1 pixel picture, preferably a black pixel, use it as a planet picture, the program does the rest. Enjoy!
[close]

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: There is a spooky secret planet hidden in the game.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »

lol space anon IN SPACE!

Godart32

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »

lol anunimus secrit club xD

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder if you can do a single transparent png and get just a "disembodied atmosphere" so to speak?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »

Oi...another one of your odd tips/hints. :D
It's looks a little weird, but that's what it's supposed to look like, right? ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder if you can do a single transparent png and get just a "disembodied atmosphere" so to speak?

The blackness is not due to the pixel color, this is why I called it a secret. It is the lack of size of the picture that causes the program to color in the rest on its own, probably some default setting or something. The reason for the black pixel is so it does not stand out because the planet defaults to black.

If you want to make the planet wholly transparent you need a full sized transparent picture. I don't know how this will affect clouds.

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »

I apologise for raising the dead so to speak and especially given the fate of the author of this thread but I was wondering if anyone had actually gotten this to work or if it happened to be a legendary trolling exercise?  If not though, could the colouration of the phantom atmosphere be a generated reflection of the surrounding nebula clouds?

If so, could creating one of these 1px^2 "ghost" shells within an orbital distance of an actually imaged planet be used as a hacky way to create the illusion of a cloud layer above a planet entity, especially if there is a way of dictating the source of the lighting/colour?