Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dragging disabled ships with you?  (Read 4867 times)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Dragging disabled ships with you?
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »

It'd be nice if we could tow a disabled ship along with our fleet, causing a massive speed penalty and taking a really long time and plenty of supplies to even get moving again. After all, ships are meant to be hard to get later on, and the 'destroyed' effect is already in place, no need for 'disabled' to do that. Perhaps if you have a certain capacity for disabled ships, and perhaps only enemy ships which are boardable can be subject to this- I just don't want to lose my ships too easily.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dragging disabled ships with you?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »

I'm not sure I like this idea, to be honest. The part that attracted me to the Starfarer campaign was the fact that each ship was a significant investment that it was in your best interests to keep running, and if one did go down in battle, the Repaired text was a cause for celebration. Having every ship repairable would just make me think "Ah well, I'll just wait a while and the fleet will be good as new"

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:27:36 AM »

True.
Well then, a significant increase in the chance of 'salvageable', along with a damage threshold past which ships cannot be deployed and will slow your fleet down. Sound good?

Vaster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »

Ehhhhh. I agree with K. I think it's fine the way it is.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

Okay then  :'( But I cry whenever my poor lashers blow up.
Any idea if the salvage rate is moddable, btw?

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »

if a ship is "disabled" it's blown to pieces...
in 80% of them the reactor blew up and left a giant hole (probably a highly radioactive one)

believe me... you don't want that ship

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »

Isn't that "destroyed". I thought disabled was just so horrifically damaged that it is a hell of a lot cheaper to just buy a new ship than to repair what's left.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

Exactly. I want to be able to drag rare ships along and repair them at great expense from whatever damage they take, while still discarding disabled ships which are more cheaply, quickly and easily obtained by buying them or capturing them.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »

I always figured that disabled ships gave you more credits and scraped weapons at the combat summary screen, while destroyed ships only give you a small amount of credits, which is why I always try my best not to blow up disabled ships in combat.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »

Exactly. I want to be able to drag rare ships along and repair them at great expense from whatever damage they take, while still discarding disabled ships which are more cheaply, quickly and easily obtained by buying them or capturing them.

If the ship is really that rare, then the resources required to get it repaired probably wouldn't be nearly as plentiful either

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »

Exactly. But if you could scrap a disabled ship for supplies instead of waiting months for your disabled frigate to be operational, that'd be great. But if the only Hyperion for four systems around gets wrecked I'm going to drag its goddamn carcass around until it can damn well fly again.

Supplies are generic. What I mean is for all ships, rare or not to need huge amounts of supplies to go from disabled to 1% health, after which they can be repaired as normal.

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:19 AM »

When I picture a ship being "disabled," I imagine it has been blown full of holes by an assault chaingun, melted by a plasma blast, or had its entire onboard computer and crew compartment obliterated by some sabot missiles that punched through a weak spot in its armor.  In other words, an observer could tell that the hulk drifting through space was once a ship, but the structural damage is so catastrophic that it cannot possibly be repaired.  The Starfarer universe is absolutely filled with nasty weapons capable of inflicting this kind of harm, so it wouldn't surprise me if most ships ended their lives this way.  After a battle, the victorious commander can do little besides recover CPU cores full of credits and strip the hulks of any useful supplies before abandoning them to the infinite gulf of space.

When a burned-out wreck takes so much punishment that it breaks into thousands of tiny pieces or dies in a fiery explosion, it is "destroyed" -- the once-proud ship has been reduced to a cloud of shattered armor plates and vaporized circuitry.  This outcome is quite common for fighters, but anything larger than a frigate has to suffer a ludicrous amount of damage to be completely destroyed.

In very rare cases, the ship is rendered unfit for combat during the course of a battle but remains mostly intact.  Perhaps the life support system was ruined, causing the deaths of 95% of the crew with little harm to the ship's hull.  These are the special cases that get the "board or salvage" option after the battle.  If the marines can clear the ship successfully, surplus crew from the player's fleet can make repair it and make it combat-ready within the week.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 05:06:19 AM »

I hate to say it but it looks like the current dev teams attitude is to make it even harder to aquire vessels through salvage  8). The current In-Dev patch notes show several notes on making free vessel much more unlikely. I dont think they like the mechanic of people getting easy access to free ships so they are increasing the sabotage rates of surrendered vessels by alot. This includes sabotaging to destroy occuring at roughly 70% of the time.

I think they are trying to make a succesful boarding a rare and epic event instead of a valid path to fleet aquisition.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »

I hate to say it but it looks like the current dev teams attitude is to make it even harder to aquire vessels through salvage  8). The current In-Dev patch notes show several notes on making free vessel much more unlikely. I dont think they like the mechanic of people getting easy access to free ships so they are increasing the sabotage rates of surrendered vessels by alot. This includes sabotaging to destroy occuring at roughly 70% of the time.

I think they are trying to make a succesful boarding a rare and epic event instead of a valid path to fleet aquisition.

How about weapons made specifically to kill a ship's crew ?

Lets say you'd need to land the last hit with that one weapon to secure the ship and increase the recovery rate of that ship ?

Like viral weapons, hacking beams....You know that sort of stuff...

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »

Its certainly a cool idea to have a tactical weapon, say a fire flash missiles that burns out the crew compartments of a vessel when shot through armor gaps before the ship is diabled. I don`t know if it would work as a game mechanic or on a practicle sci-fi sense scale but I like the idea. If it was a hard to do timing event kind of thing. Makes me wish I did more programming study to try and do something like that myself. Doubt it would be modable though.
Pages: [1] 2