Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Look what you can do with planets!  (Read 5763 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Look what you can do with planets!
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »

Gentleman, in a movement of absolute unsurpassed genius, I discovered this.

Transparency works on planets as well!

Sadly they don't seem to be true 3d objects, but still, think of the possibilities.
Or perhaps they are but their inside isn't shown/rendered or whatever you call it.

craftomega

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Look what you can do with planets!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »

you make the strangest posts...

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »

Does that mean, in theory, that one could make a planet with a massive chunk ripped out of it if they wanted? Or even a planet with a chunk ripped out and awesome constructionish stuff spanning said ripped-out-ness?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:16:32 PM »

Anyone notice the hint/tip box? ;D
It'd epic, especially when there's smilys inside... :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »

Does that mean, in theory, that one could make a planet with a massive chunk ripped out of it if they wanted? Or even a planet with a chunk ripped out and awesome constructionish stuff spanning said ripped-out-ness?
Yes and no. Yes you can do it but unless you are really, really good with mind tricks it will not going to look good.

If you look closely you can see that the 'other side' is not showing, you basically don't see the inside of a planet. Which means that the backside of the picture used is not shown.

I'm not sure how to explain it...

Perhaps like this, take a planet's picture, erase a left or right half of it completely. Look at it in the game as it spins, if the side facing you is not transparent then you see it as normal, but when the side that is transparent faces you, you see nothing at all, not even the other side which is not transparent that is now on the backside of the planet not facing you that you should be able to see because the side facing you is transparent. It's like that. Basically.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »

Anyone notice the hint/tip box? ;D
It'd epic, especially when there's smilys inside... :D
Ha, didn't even notice that. Life is sweet sometimes.

It's one of the weird things that belongs to the awesome mod that I'm still working on. I got a ton weird stuff in there.

you make the strangest posts...

Tis what I do, my mind is a weird place. It's what you get for living on the weird side of the Internet.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:16:04 AM »

Wait. What exactly have you done in the awesomeness mod? I'm al set with the trollgace ships and shopped da whoop, but sadly, that's all i had time to do. Since i am working on more stuff, you know ;)

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:19:31 AM »

Yes and no. Yes you can do it but unless you are really, really good with mind tricks it will not going to look good.

If you look closely you can see that the 'other side' is not showing, you basically don't see the inside of a planet. Which means that the backside of the picture used is not shown.

I'm not sure how to explain it...

Perhaps like this, take a planet's picture, erase a left or right half of it completely. Look at it in the game as it spins, if the side facing you is not transparent then you see it as normal, but when the side that is transparent faces you, you see nothing at all, not even the other side which is not transparent that is now on the backside of the planet not facing you that you should be able to see because the side facing you is transparent. It's like that. Basically.

When the planet was modeled and rendered out was done so without "2 sided faces" turned on. Either intentionally to save what bit of memory that would add or untentionally as to what ramifications not sting the inside of the sphere would be

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:56 AM »

Wait. What exactly have you done in the awesomeness mod? I'm al set with the trollgace ships and shopped da whoop, but sadly, that's all i had time to do. Since i am working on more stuff, you know ;)

Everything that comes into my mind and refuses to leave.

It's total conversion, every little bit that can be changed with a mod will be changed, I'm working on everything.  :P

Yes that includes even the explanation texts. You won't know what's where in the who how.