Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: game recommendations similar to starfarer?  (Read 12056 times)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: game recommendations similar to starfarer?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »

There's only one thing I dislike about Starfarer, and it's that it's set my bar for games really high. I haven't enjoyed a game of any genre since I found Starfarer. (apart from a certain arcade music game but that's not a particulary intellectual game.)

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »

I always fall back to Space Empires IV for my space 4x game. It's got some great mods out for it (considering it's quite old now) and is simple to mod yourself as well. It's got great depth and has room for a lot of custom ships, races, even planets and such. Space Empires V I wouldn't recommend as its memory issue never seemed to get fixed.

The X series of games are a good choice if you're interested in more cockpit flying... X2, X3: Terran Conflict (I don't recommend X3:Reunion and I've yet to play the third X3 expansion).

Vaster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 12:29:34 AM »

Yup. X3: Terran Conflict is excellent. I don't recommend X3: Reunion either though.

X3: Terran Conflict is a bit difficult to understand at first, but pretty awesome when you get the hang of it. Lots to do in it as well.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:21 AM »

Well, if we are talking about games SIMILAR to Starfarer than i`d like to mention Weird Worlds: Return for Infinite Space. And there was a free project based on StarCon universe some time ago. I believe it was called Time Warp.

Both games have a top view combats. TW has a direct control, but no fleet control, WW has the opposite. Both games have smal campaigns where you can buy/barter things and/or salvage new ones from defeated foes and explored planets (WW only).

There is another exploration game with order-watch like battles. But i can`t recall its name. People who played it may recognise it by very simple graphics with red/blue ship models of unusual looks and awesome bonus damage when hitting ships on its belly.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:47:21 AM by Okim »

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:58 AM »

Warpath!!

This game is probably more alike then any other the others already named. Look it up, but make sure to put "game" with it in your google search bar or you'll find other things.

Typhoon_555

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 02:25:38 PM »

Infinity Quest for Earth. Still under heavy development so isn't a game, YET!
Imagine Starfarer, but 3D and everything is to scale. An entire galaxy with millions of unique solar systems to explore. You can actually enter a planets atmosphere with no loading time. And Multiplayer! Trying to be as breif as possible. Been in development since I think 2004 and might be out within 2014, hopefully.  :D

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

No, Typhoon. Stop. It looks cool in its own way, but how is it similar to Starfarer?

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »

read the OP dude. hes looking for games that look good and are well done, obviously cant comment on infinity quest, since its not even done yet :P

@ upgradecap

when i said "change the title" i really meant change the title. =P not add to it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »

Nobody has suggested Transcendence yet.

Not played it in a while, so don't know how much it's changed.
However it was a good experience last time I played it.

JWNoctis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »

Can't believe no one has mentioned Battleship Forever, which was a major inspiration for Starfarer itself, and its predecessor Warning Forever, an Asian top-down shooter with lots, or rather, only boss fights against procedually generated battleships in space.

And, Flatspace I & II. Sort of Elite-esque with 2D gameplay in 3D graphic with view point similar with Sf.

Also...control-wise, NavyField can be configured like that with some in-game customization including fire control with mouse pointer, but that's a big-title MMO.

And lastly, you can't mention Transcendence without mentioning EV Nova, and there's also the turn-based Space Ranger I & II with simultaneous movement, mixed-in text adventures and delicious language localization, and another 2D turn-based spaceship fighting sim with similar movement style and no leading for its missiles whatsoever...Oh well.

All of the games mentioned, except that MMO and possibly Space Ranger, are indie.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »

Mount and Blade has the similar campaign idea
Including the freaking hard start

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »

There is another exploration game with order-watch like battles. But i can`t recall its name. People who played it may recognise it by very simple graphics with red/blue ship models of unusual looks and awesome bonus damage when hitting ships on its belly.

Flotilla?

Also, SPAZ aka Space Pirates And Zombies. A bit like the smaller / arcade-ish brother of Starfarer. I loved it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:54:23 AM by Dohon »
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »

Critical Mass is a little like Starfarer.

Came across it ages ago; not graphically impressive, but there's an interesting amount of strategy to the game mechanics.

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

Let's see, so you're looking for a space-set game with RTS and RPG elements? Easy--Star Wolves 3. You don't get the same variety of ships as Starfarer (you basically have one mothership, which you only change as part of plot missions, and then a fighter wing aboard with individual pilots), but it's a pretty fun little game! (I've got the first two games as well but haven't got round to playing them yet, so I can't say if they're as good or not).

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 08:08:34 AM »

Space Rangers is the hidden gem.

Open ended space RPG, multiple factions to *** off and trade with while dealing with an invading force, really difficult, but completely awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]