Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Adding custom ships  (Read 229435 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Adding in custom ships
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »

And here is the end result!

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »

Awesome. I'm tempted to make a custom capital ship, but it looks like it would be quite time consuming to do: having to cross reference all the weapon types and slot sizes etc.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »

Whoa, that's one heavily armed frigate! Very nice, and I really like how these are shaping up into their own faction with a distinct feel.

Awesome. I'm tempted to make a custom capital ship, but it looks like it would be quite time consuming to do: having to cross reference all the weapon types and slot sizes etc.

Yeah, I don't even want to think about how much work that was for a frigate :) Well, it'll get a lot easier when we release some tools.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 02:57:37 PM »

^^ hehe - this ship did take quite some time to make

Gameplay wise, the Proton frigate is something like a slightly more versatile Hyperion strike frigate, in that it still has passable offensive capabilities even after its main armament has been exhausted. It does not pack as massive a punch as the hyperion does though (only a single pulse laser vs. 2 Antimatter blasters), nor does it have as high of an acceleration and speed.

This frigate took a lot longer than it should have though, because I ended up over-detailing it early on in the design process, and had already compressed my layers, meaning I had to go back and manually remove a lot of the detailing.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »

Ok, going to start on a destroyer or second frigate after I eat dinner: probably wont finish it till tomorrow though, given I have other things I also have to do then >.<.

calmforce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 10:56:39 PM »

Avan, this is beautiful work!

I have been sitting in the shower, dreaming about all the modding possibilities of this game. It´s grand to have so many options.

Anyway, back to histology for me :-)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »

:D thanks ^^

Sometime I'd like to put up a more-or-less step-by-step thing on how I have been making ships (which at the moment would have to be updated with the frequency I change my tactics & approach)

I also just noticed that I have two types of small slots as opposed to 2 smalls and 1 medium total (I'm using one style of small as the medium in there >.>)

Oh well... a bit late to change that. I'm doing it correctly on this next ship which is either going to be a large destroyer or small cruiser. Given the size of this ship, I am nolonger placing down pixels with my mouse, but have resorted to using my tablet to lay down the base color, using my mouse for fine work

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:06 PM »

Avan, how does the coord system work for weapon placement and angles. Also, 0,0 doesn't seem to be the center specified in the ship file.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 11:31:47 PM »

as Alex explained it to me, all coordinates are based off of the center coordinates. Its X,Y coords when the ship is facing the right of the screen (0 degrees), but for symmetrical ships, you can simply use the inverse, and go with Y,X coordinates without having any perceptible difference. So if the center coords are set to 50,50, then you have coords of something else listed at X,Y in the file, the actual coordinates on the bitmap are 50+X,50+Y

Center coords are taken from the bottom left of the sprite's image file

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 11:36:33 PM »

as Alex explained it to me, all coordinates are based off of the center coordinates. Its X,Y coords when the ship is facing the right of the screen (0 degrees), but for symmetrical ships, you can simply use the inverse, and go with Y,X coordinates without having any perceptible difference. So if the center coords are set to 50,50, then you have coords of something else listed at X,Y in the file, the actual coordinates on the bitmap are 50+X,50+Y

Center coords are taken from the bottom left of the sprite's image file

Thanks for clearing that up. I had a feeling that the ship was being rotated but had no idea that the center coords were offsets rather than an absolute position.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 06:43:05 AM »

Avan, they are really cool.

And thanks to your pioneering work, I can introduce to you:

THE SICKLE

(I'm no David Baumgart, but it looks okay in the game!)

Standard loadout is a couple of PD lasers, front mounting Vulcan, and a broadside antimatter cannon for strafing runs past bigger ships and opportunistic shots on smaller ones. Handles like a dog, but should be fast enough.

And in the game!

Thanks for all this Alex, this is really cool and a lot of fun to play with!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 07:22:42 AM »

:D
That looks great in-game! Keep up the good work, its great to see I'm not the only one adding ships now!  ;D

In other news, I hope to get my current ship finished today. This one's pretty big, in the cruiser range, wider than an apogee and just as long, about, though it has a pronged design, so its overall about the same size, maybe a bit bigger.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »

Thanks! It doesn't look too bad really, does it!  ;D

Good luck with your ship, sounds like hard work, but I am very excited to see it!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2011, 07:48:37 AM »

I think they increase in difficulty (amount of work you have to put in) at (n^n) as area increases quadratically (n^2). XD

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »

Holy crap, great work! I love it - it does look very nice in-game.

I was certain that nobody would be willing to wade through the ... odd ... coordinate system etc to do this, but you've proved me so, so very wrong.

Well, now I'll just have to set up some nice way to bundle ships and missions together, so you guys can easily share your creations :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26