Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Adding custom ships  (Read 229451 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Adding in custom ships
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »

Yay, everything is working except for the tactical icon

That goes under graphics/ships/icons and *must* be named icon_<hull id>.png.

Btw.. this would be a good question to alex.. is there a way we can tell the game to get the online saved file? ;)
So... its a bit inefficient to edit them online, save them on the pc, put it in the right folder, edit it again online and so on.. would be easier to edit the file online as long as we have to work on it :)

That's how I've been doing it, though I admit I'll just use a text editor on a local copy when I need to test a quick change.

Instead of fetching it from online, I think it'll be easier to make it play nice w/ an OpenOffice saved copy - I'll add that to the list.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »

Just doublechecked, and its in there with the right name. Are there any requirements as to the filetype? (is, specific setting or something?)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »

Well, it has to be a png - need the transparency. But I don't think a jpg would break it, just look funny.

Edit: you don't have the whole wing in the icon, do you? It actually builds that wing icon dynamically from the single fighter icon. Not that that would make it crash - again, just look funny...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:03:04 PM by Alex »

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »

nope, just a single ship image in the png

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »

Does the hull id have spaces in it? Just checked - those need to be replaced with underscores in the icon name.

If this isn't the problem, what actually happens when you run it? Crash, default icon shows up, something else?

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »

The icon simply doesn't appear; I'm given a blank space where it should be. I can still left click and interact with it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:01 PM »

How odd! I'd try copying one of the existing icons with the new name to see if it shows up. Might be a problem with the png itself. It seems like it actually does load it, otherwise... actually, otherwise it would just hang on the loading screen :) And that's not exactly good. Could also check the logs for confirmation that the icon was loaded (search for the filename).

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »

Yep, just checked; it does in fact load it, but it does not display it. What is even odder, is that I just made a second ship... and it likes the icon for that ship (Saved the icons with the same program, same settings)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

Decided I might as well show off the couple ships I made so far for a faction idea I'm cooking up X3 as well as the bug I'm getting with the icon - It's a far cry from david's ships, but hey, these are my first pixel-art ships (as in, not sprites rendered from 3D models, which is how I make my ships for Transcendence)

(yes, the neutrino has a dark border... going to lighten that up a bit later.)

EDIT - Also I'm going to move the engine effects down a bit on the Positron, as they are too high, and the glare washes out the ship.

Here you can see the neutrino is missing its icon, while the positron has its icon:

some screens showcasing the ships:

Both have 360 shielding, though the neutrino has paper-thin armor: if its shield goes down, its toast. The Positron is significantly tougher, and can deal out more damage, but a wing costs more fleet points than any other wing (10), making them more expensive than the equivalent firepower in terms of PD frigates (and are only just as fast, to boot), but come with the benefit of being able to be repaired at a carrier, and have a bit better of a turning rate than the average frigate, and double as Transcendence-esq gunships (they can deal a good number of frigates, and even the lighter end of the destroyer spectrum).
Neutrinos come in wings of 3, at 3 fleet points a wing, and Positrons come in wings of 2 at 10 fleet points a wing.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:21:30 PM by Avan »

Apokus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »

:o Amazing

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »

;D Thanks!

Got a new picture with the Positron's adjusted engines:

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »

Wow! Very nice.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »

^^ Thanks!

I don't plan on releasing them until there is a simpler way of adding custom ships into the game, because of the fact that the end-user is going to have to change the .csv files to add them in.

I plan on having a wing of bombers, and then making some frigates this weekend.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »

Yeah, good call - the game is not quite ready for sharing this kind of content. But if this isn't incentive for me to work on that I don't know what is ;)

Apokus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »

^^ Thanks!

I don't plan on releasing them until there is a simpler way of adding custom ships into the game, because of the fact that the end-user is going to have to change the .csv files to add them in.

I plan on having a wing of bombers, and then making some frigates this weekend.

Well, did you change the old Weapons and Ships or did you insert new Weapons and Ships to the csv file for your custom ships?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26