Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why nobody does not use Battleship Forever Ship Maker for ship sprites?  (Read 50787 times)

DarkMajor21

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Well no one is answering my question.  :-\

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

How did you get your ship to look like that?

You can download various ship parts and incorporate them into the editor. You can also edit the colours, he just darkened the shade of red that was being used on the parts and added more layers to it, i suspect that is the case here anyway
Hope this helps
Sprog
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

DarkMajor21

• Ensign
    • View Profile

How did you get your ship to look like that?

You can download various ship parts and incorporate them into the editor. You can also edit the colours, he just darkened the shade of red that was being used on the parts and added more layers to it, i suspect that is the case here anyway
Hope this helps
Sprog

Well see the way he did makes it look like it could belong in starfarer they way they are by default is just strange.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile

The ships just seem like they lack the infamous lights, piping, and cluttered look that the starfarer ships characteristically have.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

Awesome eh? :P
- Albert Einstein

Shiva

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I leaved in the end of guide link to a forum where BF modding community dwelled for last 4 years, and after its death there is many remnants of the past. Whole fleets from past.

Actually isn't dead... th15 actually came out of hiding to tell us that he's working on a new and improved BSF, rebuilding it from the ground up with his own engine.

Regardless, your ship looks good! Nice tutorial. Now off to make a few ships of my own...

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

I have already made 5 haha
- Albert Einstein

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

Can i please use your tutorial here and incorporate it into a main one i am making?
- Albert Einstein

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The ships just seem like they lack the infamous lights, piping, and cluttered look that the starfarer ships characteristically have.

Open them up in GIMP, or Photoshop or something, and spruce them up in there. Alternatively, wouldn't it work to make a 'drawing board' by using massive picture dimensions, copy-pasting all of these ship parts into the picture, then using them to build a ship, out of the editor, in whatever art program you like to use?

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
Re: Why nobody does not use Battleship Forever Ship Maker for ship sprites?
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »

I started off my first ships using this, I think it's a good way for less-experienced guys like me to get into full-on ship sprites. The only problems I have are with making it look good with the weapons in the game, since you can't have parts of the ship going over the turrets. :(
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

douglasg14b

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »

Is there a way to move parts on the grid with just the keyboard?

The mouse in the shipmaker is buggy at best. And often will jump as you move the mouse, or just not move at all. I'm finding it nearly impossible to place parts exactly where I want them.

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »

@douglasg14b. if i remember correctly you can do little moves by holding shift and using the arrow keys to do micro moves.

@vinya. there is a way but it involves placing a section, setting a weapon onto that section and then placing a duplicate section over the top to get the effect of a gun barrel poking from the side or something. you can also set pieces to move based on the movement of a weapon so you can build proper 3 barrel turrets and such if you have the sprites
Pages: 1 2 [3]