Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Unified Flux Theory  (Read 18371 times)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Re: Unified Flux Theory
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »

Don't make me go Steven Hawking on you  ;D

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »

Necro?
Anyways, I've always thought of flux as the heat weapons build up by firing.  Any other relatively simple solutions to this?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »

I saw flux as being like static buildup of energy/electricity.  Since you are in space, there is nowhere for the energy produced by weapons/systems/shields to go, so it just sits on your hull.  "Flux venting" is actually just the venting of conductive gasses from the ship, allowing all of that energy/electrical buildup to be released without harming the ship or its crew.  This would also explain why ships appear to be covered in electricity when they overload.  The ship's built in capacitors overload, so they are forced to release the energy over the surface of the hull, rather than allowing the capacitors to degrade from storing to much energy, which could possibly malfunction and release all of that electricity inside of the ship, frying systems and cooking the crew inside.

As far as the difference between combat speed and travel speed, I always just thought that a ship had two sets of engines.  One set of "maneuvering jets" for use in combat, allowing the ship to perform more agile movements, which are needed in combat.  The second set of engines, the "travel" or "hyperdrive" engines allow the ship to move at extreme speeds at the cost of very little maneuverability outside of a set path.  Thus, a Burn Drive, is just a very short pulse of the hyperdrive engines, allowing the ship to reach greater speeds at the cost of mobility.  This would explain why ships use supplies to travel, besides stuff for the crew, the ship has to be able to constantly vent its flux to maintain travel speed for a long period of time.  So supplies represent gas containers that would be used to vent flux

Just my 2 cents on it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

I've always though the speed different in battle and campaign map is just because you have that need to be more maneuverable in battle.  Going at high speeds, it's kinda difficult to turn around, like tank battle during the World Wars and modern times.  Slow down to aim!

Now, any more simple solutions to the mysteries of flux and co.? :D
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

Not a chance!  Why simplify it when you can overcomplicate the *expletive* out of it?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »

Sometimes I wish moderators could tone down on the *delete* stuff, but that's their job, what can I do?  I just want to enjoy a joke a little better. ;D

Anyways, go on and I'll provide an explanation for the rest of us non-sciencey people. ;)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »

Why did they delete this it is not spam it is discussion about the lore of the game >:(

I spent 3 days researching and writing each one of those posts! I can't find ANY way in which they violate the rules! So why were they deleted in the first place!!! (ya i'm a little  *deleted*  off!)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:01:41 PM by sdmike1 »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »

Arg, never mind.  It was a joke.

Dog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »

Actually, I did that myself.  I was trying to keep this thread civilized, and expletives are not conducive to that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]