Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suicide ships  (Read 5772 times)

bluey101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Suicide ships
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »

Idea here being small ships that have very few crew or are AI controlled that atuomatically fly towards enemy fleets and explode to cause massive splash damage. These would basically function like very powerful missiles that can take quite a few hits but obviously cost alot more
would this be a good idea?
Ut lumen obscurant stelle potentiam tuam et vias tuas.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide ships
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

That would literaliy be kamikaze ships............ Well, i'm not sure really.....

Maybe.....

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »

Hm.  That sounds an awful lot like either torpedo bombers, or just some sort of specialized large missile launcher.

For what you actually suggested, though, I'd point out: the game's built for the notion that munitions are replenishable.  Something that wasn't would need to be very powerful to be worth using... and if it is that powerful, it's probably not balanced - or at least, not for AI use.  After all, the average AI controlled fleet fights the player once - so giving them high powered one-shot emergency weapons, just means that the player always has to deal with those.  Which, at least for me, wouldn't be that much fun.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

bluey101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »

I just though of something to add to my last post.
instead of being seperate ships it could be a hull mod that required the use of all of a ships ordanence points. this way any ship can be used and no new ships have to be added. of course, the bigger the ship you use the bigger the explosion

this copuld also make it much rarer in the case of AI as i'm sure the AI would much rather use it's ships with weapons rather than just blowing it up.
also if the ships are AI controlled (including in the players fleet) the ships would detonate on proximity and so could be delt with easily and cheaply (still with a cost though) by sending a single, cheap, fighter wing to intercept it before it can reach your ships

bluey101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »

also, this would only do high explosive damage and wouldn't be very effective again't shields.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »

This doesn't sound fun at all. Why not just use the Dagger bombers if you really wanted a high-damage one-shot explosive? They function close enough.

bluey101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »

my idea really was that since it was a ship that was exploding that it would do lots of damage to multiple ships at once rather than just massive damage to one target

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »

That sounds awful.

I like the idea of some ships fighting suicideally, like the Cult of Lud or something, but straight up kamikaze ships? Ships aren't cheap in Starfarer.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

bluey101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »

That sounds awful.

I like the idea of some ships fighting suicideally, like the Cult of Lud or something, but straight up kamikaze ships? Ships aren't cheap in Starfarer.
kind of the idea. the ability to do massive damage to the enemy fleet for alot of money

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »

I already implemented it in the Scourge.

In Starfarer you can easily simulate this by editing missile and their values (make a missile that look like a fighter, have many hp, fly as fast as a fighter, give it AOE damage... All doable modding weapons).

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »

That sounds awful.

kind of the idea. the ability to do massive damage to the enemy fleet for alot of money

I don't know what you're talking about with 'the idea'. All I was talking about was AI for ships crewed by fanatics, which would fly too close and stay close too long for comfort. You're talking about turning ships into crewed missiles which is asinine.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

bluey101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »

not necessarily crewed. they can be controled by AI
wasp drones for example

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »

Sooooooo not a suicide ship at all, since it's uncrewed and designed to explode on target.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »

I'll stick to my Reapers thanks, they're easier to replace, more likely to arrive and can do equivalent damage for a lower cost (lost torpedo bombers).

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »

Idea here being small ships that have very few crew or are AI controlled that atuomatically fly towards enemy fleets and explode to cause massive splash damage. These would basically function like very powerful missiles that can take quite a few hits but obviously cost alot more
would this be a good idea?

How about a modified order on larger ships to ram and explode. Especially if you are going to loose that ship anyway. I would rather throw it into a carrier than watch the white flash and no more ship.  8)
Pages: [1] 2