Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: insulated engine assembly and auto repair unit  (Read 3253 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
insulated engine assembly and auto repair unit
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:43:10 AM »

my thoughts on the above:

for IES:

it just feels wrong that doing whatever to the engine assembly lets the front of my ship take 10 more pilums to the face. maybe instead it should give a 10% speed bonus? it seems alot more appropriate.

for ARU:

haven't really ran into a situation where this didn't unscrew me from the predicament i was in. =P all its useful for really is if a muck up with my capital and limp off with like 10% HP and don't want to wait the 20 or so days for complete repairs.

my ideas:

- have it repair armor and hull during combat. something like 5 HP/s for frigates and destroyers. 10 for cruisers and 15 for capital ships.

- let it cut down the amount of FP a ship takes up. this can be argued that the unit keeps the ship maintained 24/7 (im sure the human crews do too, but im really, - really- doubtful that you will find ~ 1000 crew as dedicated to their job as engineers donnelly and daniels.) and is slightly better and faster at maintaining the ship.

- i like the idea in one of the other threads where the more times a weapon / engine goes offline, it should take progressively longer to repair. this would make it a very serious contender for OP.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: insulated engine assembly and auto repair unit
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »

Yeah... the only use I'd see for ARU's would be for getting the engines up faster, but between flux conduits and insulated engine assembly they very rarely go down.

For IES it would make sense if it reduced speed or turning, but I don't want that :P ! I like the 10% hull boost, but I could live with it being gone if the point cost got reduced.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

How about:

- auto repair unit boosts repair rate of docked fighters?
Only of use to carriers... but it certainly makes sense.

or

- auto repair unit grants a number of repair drones. (frig=1/dest=2/cru=3/bs=4)
These drones would be represented as low HP fighters that try to keep within the bounds of your ship's shield.
They slowly repair your ship's armour damage only.
As they're outside your ship they'd be vulnerable to enemy fire, so wouldn't be quite as abusable as a fully automatic auto-repair that had the same effect.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »

How about:

Aren't fighters manufactured at carriers? If so it would not make sense to gain increased repair rate.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »

I guess this would be assisting crew mount new armor plates and re-arm fighters and bombers...

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »

How about:

or

- auto repair unit grants a number of repair drones. (frig=1/dest=2/cru=3/bs=4)
These drones would be represented as low HP fighters that try to keep within the bounds of your ship's shield.
They slowly repair your ship's armour damage only.
As they're outside your ship they'd be vulnerable to enemy fire, so wouldn't be quite as abusable as a fully automatic auto-repair that had the same effect.

I like the idea of a repair drone, bt It would be nice to have like 2 or 3 at the ready incase one gets shot down. but the radio control center thingy can only handle 1 at a time.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »

my thoughts on the above:

for IES:

it just feels wrong that doing whatever to the engine assembly lets the front of my ship take 10 more pilums to the face. maybe instead it should give a 10% speed bonus? it seems alot more appropriate.

for ARU:

haven't really ran into a situation where this didn't unscrew me from the predicament i was in. =P all its useful for really is if a muck up with my capital and limp off with like 10% HP and don't want to wait the 20 or so days for complete repairs.

my ideas:

- have it repair armor and hull during combat. something like 5 HP/s for frigates and destroyers. 10 for cruisers and 15 for capital ships.

- let it cut down the amount of FP a ship takes up. this can be argued that the unit keeps the ship maintained 24/7 (im sure the human crews do too, but im really, - really- doubtful that you will find ~ 1000 crew as dedicated to their job as engineers donnelly and daniels.) and is slightly better and faster at maintaining the ship.

- i like the idea in one of the other threads where the more times a weapon / engine goes offline, it should take progressively longer to repair. this would make it a very serious contender for OP.
I'm not sure if IES would make sense with a speed increase. If anything it would decrease speed... I think it should stay as it is personally.

You ideas for the ARU is good though. I think a 1FP decrease would make sense, as yes the ships will be much more easily maintained. I the drone idea from TJJ is better than just a straight up repair. That way they can be destroyed and it just makes most sense I think.