Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Community Mini-faction Mod  (Read 62618 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Community Mini-faction Mod
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »

Back when I was actively modding Starcraft 1, I remember a few people tried to set up a mini-race mod that was created through a community effort. Contributors would have made their own mini-race consisting of a few units and buildings. The end result would have been a mod with several small, but well-rounded races to play as.

I'm curious if people would be interested in doing something similar for Starfarer.

The premise would be pretty simple: each person wishing to contribute would make a small faction--maybe five or six ships, and new weapons if desired. Once completed, these new factions could be brought together in many different ways--maybe just throwing them into the game with the default factions present, or perhaps into a totally new star system with only the mini-factions present.

I figure a mini-faction mod would be better than a full-blown community TC or something, because this way people can do their own thing without worrying about others depending on them.

The only 'rule' I'd like to impose is that the factions created for this are unique--i.e., you shouldn't be scaling down the factions from another mod and then ask for it to be put in here.

So, would anyone be interested?

===========================================================

Now that there's enough interest, this project is underway.

For everyone contributing/going to contribute, here's a quick few guidelines to follow so the end result is the best it can be:

-If you decide to contribute, let me know either by a post in this thread/a PM. It would also be nice of you to supply a rough outline of the faction you plan on making.

-There aren't any deadlines, or anything like that. Work at your own pace. But if at any point you decide to stop working on your faction, let me know.

-Anywhere from 5-8 ships per faction. Ships should ideally be spread out class-wise, but this isn't 100% necessary--meaning if you want to make a faction that uses mostly fighters with a single carrier ship, that would be fine.

-Keep balance in mind. It wouldn't be fair to others if your faction is super overpowered, and dominates all the others in the star system. Post-completion balance tweaks will probably be made, so don't worry too much about it.

-Your faction doesn't have to be just ships--you can include new weapons, portraits, or anything else you'd like.

-Don't add your faction into the campaign, as campaign integration will be taken care of all at once in the final stages. When you're finished with everything, upload your faction somewhere and shoot me a link.

---

Current participants:

-Myself,
-TheSoldier,
-Sunfire + Upgradecap (team),
-arcibalde
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:04:55 PM by Psiyon »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mini-faction Mod?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »

Well, I'd be.  I never made enough material to make a full mod, but this sounds great for what I have.  +1 for you, Psiyon.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »

I'm in, i have a few ideas, but lack the skills

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »

Well, I have the skills to make something such as this, but not the ideas, snd I might lack time aswell.......

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »

I figure that about five people (including myself) would be the minimum needed to make this project work. Seeing that TheSoldier and I seem to be the only ones in for certain, we need 3 more. I also suppose there's no real reason why 2 people can't work on the same faction, so if you guys (Sunfire + Upgradecap) want to work together, than that'd be fine.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »

Yeah I can sign up for this now, got free time ;)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:57 AM »

I could take part, depending on what kind of spriting skill is required

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:55:15 AM »

The sprites can be kitbashes, so that should make things easier for everyone. I'll probably just be doing kitbashes too.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »

I might be able to spare the time for it then, if I get any ideas on what to actually do, that is :P

I wouldn't by any means call it a guaranteed sign-up though. Just if I get an idea of what to make

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »

I'm interested...  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »

if upgradecap wants to, i really suck at everything but ideas and descriptions, but i can do plenty of those

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »

if upgradecap wants to, i really suck at everything but ideas and descriptions, but i can do plenty of those

Yeah, sure. I'm great at doing the dirty coding work, but tend to fail at descriptions and spriting.
So yeah psiyon, i'm all yours ;D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »

Alright then. Seems we've got enough people to start making this a reality.

For everyone contributing/going to contribute, here's a quick few guidelines to follow so the end result is the best it can be:

-If you decide to contribute, let me know either by a post in this thread/a PM. It would also be nice of you to supply a rough outline of the faction you plan on making.

-There aren't any deadlines, or anything like that. Work at your own pace. But if at any point you decide to stop working on your faction, let me know.

-Anywhere from 5-8 ships per faction. Ships should ideally be spread out class-wise, but this isn't 100% necessary--meaning if you want to make a faction that uses mostly fighters with a single carrier ship, that would be fine.

-Keep balance in mind. It wouldn't be fair to others if your faction is super overpowered, and dominates all the others in the star system. Post-completion balance tweaks will probably be made, so don't worry too much about it.

-Your faction doesn't have to be just ships--you can include new weapons, portraits, or anything else you'd like.

There. With that out of the way, I pose a question relating to the end result of this project: Would you like your factions added to the Corvus system with the default factions in the game as well? Or would you like a totally new star system that is populated by only the factions created for this mod?

I personally like the second option more, as I feel Corvus is getting pretty old.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mini-faction Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:29 AM »

I'd like to see a completely new system for the mod, would give it a more community-like feel if it had its own special locale

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:57 AM »

...........I personally like the second option more, as I feel Corvus is getting pretty old...........

Already??
Well, then we're going to make a small sor of TC :D

I'm signing up, though i don't have any art to work with

But i had in thought maybe a small rouge band of advanced pirates? Seems like noone ever came up with that idea so i wanted to be first :D

They would be using custom ships, remade from midline and high tech ships. No low tech ships, as they ahte them very much.

They would also be using custom, high tech all-purpose weapons.

Awesome, huh?

EDIT: we'd also need somewhere to meet and discuss. Steam?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10