Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Incendiary weapons?  (Read 5472 times)

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Incendiary weapons?
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:16 AM »

Good idea? Bad idea? Something that would deal damage over time vs. instantly...

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Incendiary weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »

To sumarise the other topic: Armor Plates. Big thick steel Armor Plates. They do as they please.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »

Now acid on the other hand... :P

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »

Acid on the other hand what? I don't want to wait freaking years for acid to start scratching paint.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »

Could be very potent acid, or instead of acid it could be a swarm of nano-bots... but they would have to be very bad nano-bots because otherwise they would overrun whatever they hit.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »

Nanobots could work, but that seems way, way, too advanced for the state humanity is in. But acid? We've already discovered the most potent acid around. You can't go any lower on the pH scale. And you're not gonna be able to deliver and distribute enough of it to damage warship armor.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »

Oh come on didn't you see the tongue on the smiley face? I was totally kidding. Its super space acid of doomy doom! Infused with unobtanium juice :D

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »

Sounds like a very pricey meal to me :/

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »

Oh come on didn't you see the tongue on the smiley face? I was totally kidding. Its super space acid of doomy doom! Infused with unobtanium juice :D

Oh. Sorry. I'm a very humorless person.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »

Ahhh! Iscariot has 666 posts, everyone run for your lives!

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »

Hehehee! Just as you posted I made it my profile pic to commemorate the METOL. Now I need to put on some awesome doom metal.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »

I was actually thinking of making a trailing cloud type weapon. Not sure how to justify its existence (other than it fit in with the race I am going to build someday and they're aliens so who needs to understand!), but figured you could release a bunch of small HE particles and get this effect. Would need each particle to do relatively small damage. Also don't know if the engine would like this, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »

I was actually thinking of making a trailing cloud type weapon. Not sure how to justify its existence (other than it fit in with the race I am going to build someday and they're aliens so who needs to understand!), but figured you could release a bunch of small HE particles and get this effect. Would need each particle to do relatively small damage. Also don't know if the engine would like this, haha.

Modified bomb launchers?

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »

It does this with one of the mods, I think it's like Hellfire missile Launchers or something for the Scrappers. Launches 3 missiles and bursts into about 100 small, and very bright, HE projectiles. Similar to a MIRV.
Pages: [1] 2