Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36

Author Topic: Fight For Universe: Sector Xplo (1.0.1.7/0.53.1a)  (Read 229372 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Fight For Universe: Sector Xplo (1.0.1.7)
« Reply #315 on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

Right, firstly. The missile works along the same lines as EMP - sort of. In many ways, what it basically is is a pure, huge wave of concentrated electrical energy via the use of aforementioned EMP. This then is brutally sent through the hull via the use of a concentrated breach charge (or through pure punch technique where the warhead survives the initial impact and penetrates armour) the waves of energy are then concentrated into bursts internally not unlike the Plasma wall, repeating fluctuations until they run out of power from their micro fusion drives. Which would be a while.

Electrical energy in the vacuum of space? Bwah?

Even if you could, it can simply be absorbed by powerful enough batteries. Also simple EMP shielding can stop EMP.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 03, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »

I'll try to explain.

You said you are going faster then time. Which is just absurd on it's face. Sci-fi doesn't enter into it. (Well, you didn't read the part about it being something a little bit

It's like saying you can go faster then speed. Do you see? You can't have a speed that is faster then speed. It's just not a sane thing to say. I'm not saying I'm going faster than speed... but that sounds cool!

Just as your missile that fires missiles. The numbers you pull out of your sleeve are absurd as well as their effects, again sci-fi doesn't enter into it, this is basic logistics. Um, Hurricane MIRV launcher.... MIRV's do exist, one example is the MIRV bomb America developed that would lay down multiple nuclear warheads to make it difficult to stop damage from being widespread. And basic logistics may or may not have been... misplaced.... when they began to build fleets. Really, think about it sort of with Dead Space planetcracking. You're stuck thinking that a single planet is all we have - we have BILLIONS available excluding TRILLIONS of asteroids etc. there is no worry for logistical reasons. Any planet incapable of supporting life without extreme terraforming is either handed to the military or crushingly megamined.

How do you store such things? How do you get such a payload into so small an area? How can you afford to throw such values of stuff away at any target? Um... these missiles are roughly 2M in size and are made to order. No payload is stored, it's all made when neccesary. Nothing is that way valuable - the galaxy is so big that the resources are no problem even for something that big.
Can't you see that such enormous numbers are meaningless on their face? ...no? I like titanic battles. Is there a problem with that? The galaxy is a freaking huge place, and 80 ships don't cut a 'big' battle for me... (I love starfarer though, don't take that from me)
Against what could you possibly use such a thing? Not against a single ship, not even against a fleet of a few thousand ships, it would be a waste.
Well, we're talking fleets of millions of drones and a fair few thousand bigger ships

OK, I take it you didn't read.
Battleship Theory details that there is no point in making smaller ships - ships must constantly get bigger to use larger and more apocalyptic weapons. It's like... a Paragon using plasma cannons on it's two large turrets against a Wolf. The wolf dies nigh instantaneously, right? That's EXACTLY the problem that Battleship Theory points out. So, ships get bigger, and bigger, and bigger... the cycle repeats forever...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:02:17 AM by X4R3H »
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 03, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »

Right, firstly. The missile works along the same lines as EMP - sort of. In many ways, what it basically is is a pure, huge wave of concentrated electrical energy via the use of aforementioned EMP. This then is brutally sent through the hull via the use of a concentrated breach charge (or through pure punch technique where the warhead survives the initial impact and penetrates armour) the waves of energy are then concentrated into bursts internally not unlike the Plasma wall, repeating fluctuations until they run out of power from their micro fusion drives. Which would be a while.

Electrical energy in the vacuum of space? Bwah?

Even if you could, it can simply be absorbed by powerful enough batteries. Also simple EMP shielding can stop EMP.

Nooo... my Mjolnir Cannons...
¬_¬
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 03, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »

Battleship Theory details that there is no point in making smaller ships - ships must constantly get bigger to use larger and more apocalyptic weapons. It's like... a Paragon using plasma cannons on it's two large turrets against a Wolf. The wolf dies nigh instantaneously, right? That's EXACTLY the problem that Battleship Theory points out. So, ships get bigger, and bigger, and bigger... the cycle repeats forever...
Battleship theory is outdated even in our time today, what makes you think it holds water in the future, or space.

Carriers are the thing today, actual have bin for a while. Still means nothing in space.

Actually Orbital Strike Platforms are being developed today, that's the new arms race going on right now in the world. But again, that means nothing in space. Funny enough.

Nooo... my Mjolnir Cannons...
¬_¬

You do realize you need something to lead an electrical charge throe right? Space. Vacuum of space. Give it a moment of thought.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:15:18 PM by Vandala »

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 03, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »

Battleship theory is outdated even in our time today, what makes you think it holds water in the future, or space.

Carriers are the thing today, actual have bin for a while. Still means nothing in space.

Actually Orbital Strike Platforms are being developed today, that's the new arms race going on right now in the world. But again, that means nothing in space. Funny enough.
In Spaaaaaace

Still, I'm going to make a decent reference of why carriers suck.
Astral.
It DOES have water in space... that's like saying MAI WOLF WILL OWN DAT ONSLAUGHT
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:16:08 PM by X4R3H »
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »

In Spaaaaaace

Still, I'm going to make a decent reference of why carriers suck.
Astral.
It DOES have water in space... that's like saying MAI WOLF WILL OWN DAT ONSLAUGHT
If your gonna be like this I'm not gonna try and help you anymore.

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 03, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »

Battleship Theory details that there is no point in making smaller ships - ships must constantly get bigger
Useless theory... Making ships stronger just by making them bigger will never bring you victory.

to use larger and more apocalyptic weapons. It's like... a Paragon using plasma cannons on it's two large turrets against a Wolf. The wolf dies nigh instantaneously, right?
Don't make me laugh about "more apocalyptic weapons", if Muliphased Temporal Shield blocks 1200mm Nucear Shell, it will be able to block even 120000mm Nucear Shell with same efficiency, because... It's same Nuclear Shell...

That's EXACTLY the problem that Battleship Theory points out. So, ships get bigger, and bigger, and bigger... the cycle repeats forever...
Bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to compress in to singularity point and then annihilate...

Anyway, you're speaking too much without knowing too much... It's frustrating...

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

Battleship Theory details that there is no point in making smaller ships - ships must constantly get bigger
Useless theory... Making ships stronger just by making them bigger will never bring you victory. So, the Onslaught is useless? Nope. Naval dreadnoughts swept away smaller ships just the way I said they would due to that theory. If you're a tiny fly next to me, then I swat you like one. Of course, size =/= victory, but it leads to it. Strap on guns, armour and tech!

to use larger and more apocalyptic weapons. It's like... a Paragon using plasma cannons on it's two large turrets against a Wolf. The wolf dies nigh instantaneously, right?
Don't make me laugh about "more apocalyptic weapons", if Muliphased Temporal Shield blocks 1200mm Nucear Shell, it will be able to block even 120000mm Nucear Shell with same efficiency, because... It's same Nuclear Shell...
Do you not understand what that 1200 means? It's the American measure of how big a barrel is, whereas the British use pounder, a measure of how heavy the shell is. It is NOT the same thusly.

That's EXACTLY the problem that Battleship Theory points out. So, ships get bigger, and bigger, and bigger... the cycle repeats forever...
Bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to hit... bigger... easier to compress in to singularity point and then annihilate... By he time they get that big, they're easily replaceable and don't think that engines and thrusters aren't scaled - most ships have a decent maneuverability, and while YES, I agree that they are easier to hit, don't you realize that singularities you fire are as likely to kill you as me? In fact, singularities would crush your ship before even leaving the weapon. Who's even saying you can fire a singularity without being screened?

Anyway, you're speaking too much without knowing too much... It's frustrating...
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »

First, depending on how advanced your charts are, then yes, you can predict everything that will happend in a galaxy.
Second: there are no thousand missile EMP MIRVS that disable anything in their path.
If there where, then I would call........

Energy demons on them.

Nuff said.

WHAT?!!

*phones Zaal inter-dimentional helpline, on a super awesome tardis phone*

"the timcorp are using energy demons!"

*Long pause*

Zaal helpline: "what?"

"The timcorp, are using, ENERGY DEMONS!!"

Zaal helpline:

"We're opening a universal rapture now, expect Bezaltor last week."

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »

Frickin laser beams and sea bass
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »

Why all my comments only quoted, but not being answered? Strange, isn't it?

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 04, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »

Why all my comments only quoted, but not being answered? Strange, isn't it?
Read your quoted comments carefully to find what I wrote
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 04, 2012, 07:43:16 AM »

Any faction needing more than a cannon that fires massive metal slugs is overcompensating.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 04, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »

Any faction needing more than a cannon that fires massive metal slugs is overcompensating.

Cheap faction trick:

Use one ship with an overly large cannon on it. Use extremly heavy engines on it. Deploy in masses. Your enemy won't survive :)

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »

Or likes massive metal slugs... It's like saying that the Tachyon Lance's range is overcompensating
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36