Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Marines, Space Stations, Planets, and Money Making.  (Read 8035 times)

Shazar02

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Marines, Space Stations, Planets, and Money Making.
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »

I have recently bought Starfarer, and i'm already playing it nonstop. Here are some of my suggestions for the game ;

I find that there is no real point in buying a high number of marines, as the option to board ships is some-what uncommon. I think that once more of the features and mechanics of Starfarer come out, that the marines should have the ability to invade planets and space stations. It would also be cool if you could fly near trade fleets and have an option to board their ships without starting combat ( That is, fleet combat. The only combat would be from the marines. )

When you invade a planet and successfully gain control of the planet, it should have some sort of effect like producing supplies, certain weapons, fuel, or money every few in game days. Planets, and some larger space stations, could also shelter extra fleets the player has. Owning atleast one planet and three fleets could allow you to own and name your own faction, which you can use to wage war on the other factions.

Space Stations could have weapon slots on them which allow for defense of a planet, other stations, or possibly even an asteroid mining area. I think that different variations of Space Stations would be helpful too, like a station that could hold ships, a merchant station that would sell supplies, fuel, weapons, minerals gained from mining, and other items between star systems so that the player wouldn't have to travel long distances to sell items, and a mobile station that can be used to render most of a planet useless through the use of a powerful plasma weapon.

Making money in Starfarer can be easy, provided you don't get screwed over and get attacked by a fleet twenty times larger than you. So, to make making money a little easier, using your ship to mine asteroids would be nice. Each mineral mined from the asteroid would take up one cargo space. There would also be different types of minerals, such as Platinum, Cobalt, Iron, etc., and would each vary in how often they would appear, and price. Alternatively, you could own a factory, oil rig, banking company, etc., to generate items that you could sell/use, or even just generate money in general. Certain one-use equipment items could be used to board unaware Trade ships, allowing you to possibly take the ship, or sabotage the ship and steal some of the loot.

These are just a few of my suggestions and ideas for Starfarer.
GAWDAM, MISSILES EVERYWHERE

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Marines, Space Stations, Planets, and Money Making.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

Welcome to the starfarer community!

And a few of those are great ideas, although i'm unsure of how oil rigs would work in space :-\
But the idea of owning a faction has been suggested before, and i think it would be a nifty idea :)

Shazar02

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »

Sorry, probably forgot to mention that those were meant to be built on planets :P
GAWDAM, MISSILES EVERYWHERE

Zibywan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Space Stations, space monsters, and politics
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »

I love the idea of being able to commission the building of a space station. A place to leave extra ships, set up a sell/buy screen that will automatically trade ships/supplies with other factions that have a positive feeling towards you. It would also be interesting to see siege style ships geared towards bringing down space stations. Long range, poorly guided missiles, projectiles, and (forgive the cliche) Death star like lasers.

On another note, how about space beasts? Creatures that live in asteroids, or nebula dwellers that interfere with, or change the mechanics of battle would be interesting.
Later on it would also be interesting to see three, or even four way battles. I'm not sure how this would work on the map, but having three parties, with some political elements, could make for interesting strategic situations.

This game is incredible for only being in alpha. Thank you for the time you put into it.   
Play how you want, just don't try to force your playstyle on the other kids in the sandbox. Balance around the casual so the game can survive.

mineplanet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:49:13 AM »

wow i love these ideas i realy hope that they get something like these in the game :)

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »

These ideas are great.  So I think they would be like the Gun Runners Faction now.  Your fleet or expedition fleet would jump into a new sector.  Setup shop on an empty planet or asteroid.  Maybe you have to move the "current planet holders"   ;)  Then they produce credits, fuel, staff ( marines & crew ) & create hulls.  Wow!! This game is getting better and better almost daily now.