Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mod & Resources Website  (Read 29502 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Mod & Resources Website
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

Well, comprare each mods ships and weapons with eachother, ofcourse. Just for fun :D

craftomega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »

Hmmm Could we add a section for files?

IE .varient

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:00:18 AM by craftomega »

Aeolun

• Ensign
  • Dreamwalker
    • View Profile
    • Starfarer Hub
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »

Hmmm Could we add a section for files?

IE .varient

That would be a ship mod, or do you want an additional category for fittings?

Well, comprare each mods ships and weapons with eachother, ofcourse. Just for fun
That would be advanced features, since I'd have to parse all mod files to check what ships are in them :P if I could do this, then I could also combine mods into 1 big mod and you wouldn't have to choose ;) that might be interesting, but not at this point in time, might do that when the game is final.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:00:41 PM by Aeolun »
If you kick long and hard enough, eventually something is going to break down.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »

I have mixed feelings about the difference in proportions between the images on the frontpage and the images when you preview a mod.

Aeolun

• Ensign
  • Dreamwalker
    • View Profile
    • Starfarer Hub
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »

I have mixed feelings about the difference in proportions between the images on the frontpage and the images when you preview a mod.
So do I, do not worry, it will be changed, but I'm currently busy with other things for a bit (non-this website related).

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:16 PM »

So do I, do not worry, it will be changed, but I'm currently busy with other things for a bit (non-this website related).

Nice ;) Take your time we all love you deeply.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

That would be advanced features, since I'd have to parse all mod files to check what ships are in them :P if I could do this, then I could also combine mods into 1 big mod and you wouldn't have to choose ;) that might be interesting, but not at this point in time, might do that when the game is final.
[/quote]

Well, there was an attempt at it, but it ended up just being a troll.

Aeolun

• Ensign
  • Dreamwalker
    • View Profile
    • Starfarer Hub
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »

Well, there was an attempt at it, but it ended up just being a troll.
Yeah, since the format is so incredibly convenient, there are pretty much no technical problems at all. It just takes some time to do it :) but when the format/data changes, you have to keep fixing it, which is annoying. Hence me not doing it now.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »

This looks excellent so far.

I have some suggestions for improvements:

1: Show the username of the person who uploaded the mod/asset. This makes it possible for people to be properly credited (especially for those who upload art assets), and it also helps to avoid some potential confusion.

2: Create a comment system. Being able to have small, on-site conversations would prevent the need for running back to the forum each time a user wants to tell somebody something.

3: Original size front-page previews. It's hard to tell what I'm looking at when there's just a big pixelated mess popping up. This deals mostly with art assets.

4: On the art/mod submission page, you might want to change the background image of the field headers (Name, Description, Image, etc) to something a little more simplistic. At first glance, they don't look like headers, but rather text entry fields. A simple blue horizontal bar would go a long way towards making the page look cleaner.

5: Being able to include multiple images. Sometimes one image just doesn't tell a whole mod's story. You could have the user select the main image they want used for the thumbnail, and then allow them to upload two or three more, so people get a better idea as to what exactly it is they're downloading.

6: Use the mod's/asset's alternative text on the front page slideshow instead of the full description. Would make things a lot cleaner, and make more sense as well. You also might want to consider showing the name of the mod/asset that is being shown, because it isn't always obvious from the description.

7: Not necessary, but it would be cool to be able to embed youtube videos into the mod descriptions (If you use the above suggestion, that is). Just something to consider if it's not too much of a pain, because videos are a hundred times better than just a few screenshots.

Also, a bug: The "Forum" and "Blog" links on the front page don't appear as links--clicking on them takes you to the appropriate page, but the text isn't highlighted, nor does the cursor change when you move your mouse over them.

Overall though, this is an excellent start. I can't wait to see this in a completed state :) Keep up the great work.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »

Wow. That was easy.

Great start!  :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Aeolun

• Ensign
  • Dreamwalker
    • View Profile
    • Starfarer Hub
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »

1, 2 3, 5, 6, 7: Agreed

4: This is a matter of opinion, I agree that the current choice is not optimal, but I tried blue, and it was just plain ugly. I'll try to do something about it it though, the headers currently have the same image as the buttons, and that is indeed quite stupid.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »

Pretty nifty site.. Question though, is it slow for anyone else? Seems to take longer to load than it should for me.

craftomega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 05:01:51 PM »

Hey could you reset my password on the site.

Same Userid. send the new one in a pm please.

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »

That sir deserve a link on the front page! Great job!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5