Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 365804 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27
« Reply #630 on: November 12, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »

Seems unlikely, the amount of effort required to update a mod for .65.1a is massive compared to all previous updates of Starsector.

I'll be frank here for any fans of the Interstellar Federation. In my opinion you should just let this mod rest, it is very old, obsolete, in need of an art overhaul, balancing, total code do-over, and in general the entire mod needs to be remade from scratch. Keptin said this himself, one day he will return and will make it happen.

Until then? It is what it is, time to move on and enjoy other mods... Keptin recommended that you do not hold your breath.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:24:30 PM by MesoTroniK »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »

Meso pretty much summed it up. I've received several PMs asking if I'm going to update IFed now that the big Starsector patch is out, so I figure I'd address that here for everyone.  I'm happy to find there's still a following after all this time.  Unfortunately I don't have that kind of spare time to put into modding at the moment.

I'd love to come back to this mod and at the very least peck away at some of the art assets, but I've collected a series of portfolio projects that will probably come first.  It could be months, years, or never; please don't hold your breath.  Regardless, Starsector will continue to improve and grow in content--after all, I originally set off to add content to the game.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 13, 2014, 04:10:00 AM »

That's a shame, but I get it. Good luck with your other project, IF will stay in my mind as one of the first quality comprehensive faction mods.

uzsibox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »

Meso pretty much summed it up. I've received several PMs asking if I'm going to update IFed now that the big Starsector patch is out, so I figure I'd address that here for everyone.  I'm happy to find there's still a following after all this time.  Unfortunately I don't have that kind of spare time to put into modding at the moment.

I'd love to come back to this mod and at the very least peck away at some of the art assets, but I've collected a series of portfolio projects that will probably come first.  It could be months, years, or never; please don't hold your breath.  Regardless, Starsector will continue to improve and grow in content--after all, I originally set off to add content to the game.

Thank you! Regardless I'm gona be really sad without my railguns :\

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 18, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »

Since I've had a few requests, I'm officially releasing the IFed sprite assets for open use under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.  This only includes assets in the current release, not the new concept sprites I've posted in the thread.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Basically:
-credit me,
-don't sell it
and you're solid.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:56:38 PM by keptin »

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »

Wow! That's super exciting man, can't wait to get behind the controls of some of your ships again. Thank you so much for all the work you've put in.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 19, 2014, 05:42:01 AM »

Aw, damn. I'm really going to miss trolling 200+ OP fleets with a pair of Aurias.

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

Garmine

• Lieutenant
  • We're The Borg. Every resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 20, 2016, 02:46:46 AM »

Hi!

First of all sorry for the necro, but this question certainly belongs here :)

I'm thinking on necromancing IFed, but I have a few concerns.

Since I've had a few requests, I'm officially releasing the IFed sprite assets for open use under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.  This only includes assets in the current release, not the new concept sprites I've posted in the thread.

As I understand it based on Keptin's posts:
 - in the OP Keptin only permits meta-mods to be released in this thread
 - his CC license (quoted) only applies to the ship sprites in the last release, no other content (data files, code, lore, ...)

I'd like to start a new thread for the necromanced IFed using the old sprites, lore and such. I cannot do this according to the above, can I?

Shall I just PM Keptin about this?

P.s.: and am I allowed to modify the old sprites myself according to the CC license? And would modifying them in the style of the new sprites posted by Keptin be evil/unethical or even against the license?

I suck at these law-y things :(

P.p.s.: can I even use the name "Interstellar Federation" in the necro? :D Please help ^^
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:08:55 AM by Garmine »
I went outside one day, the graphics were amazing, but the gameplay sucked...
Prepare yourselves for miscapitalization errors! *evil laugh*

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2016, 03:26:46 AM »

Technically the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license allows you to take, modify and release the sprites in any form or shape as long as credits and links to the original work are provided, it's for non commercial purpose and you use the same licence. If on top of that you add the Starsector's licence about modding, you can only use them in another Starsector mod and not some random different game.

As you noticed, given Keptin wording it does not concern his mod as a whole. Still, you can either PM him to get the autorization to update his mod, or make a whole new one using the same sprite but with a different name, lore and code. Note that while Keptin did mentioned wanting to update his mod once the game is more fleshed out it was a long time ago. If he moved on maybe he'll let you take over IFed.

Garmine

• Lieutenant
  • We're The Borg. Every resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »

As you noticed, given Keptin wording it does not concern his mod as a whole. Still, you can either PM him to get the autorization to update his mod, or make a whole new one using the same sprite but with a different name, lore and code.

Thank you! Well, using only the sprites and nothing else wouldn't be a true necro nor an IFed reboot. I'll PM Keptin and hope he'll answer :)

Note that while Keptin did mentioned wanting to update his mod once the game is more fleshed out it was a long time ago. If he moved on maybe he'll let you take over IFed.

Of course I don't want to take over IFed in case Keptin still plans on returning. I'd rather just maintain it until that time. (Or help him, IIRC he mentioned somewhere he prefers the art part rather than the coding part. It's the exact opposite in case of me.)

(For IFed fans: please do not consider this as a promise of a new IFed even if Keptin approves. University is evil and time consuming.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:55:01 AM by Garmine »
I went outside one day, the graphics were amazing, but the gameplay sucked...
Prepare yourselves for miscapitalization errors! *evil laugh*

Alendor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 24, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »

Technically, his post releasing the material means you no longer need his permission to use the assets, and that is specifically his intent of the release, so that he doesn't have to field PMs again in the future regarding a project that he has lost interest in.

It was a great mod, i hope people stop worry about hurting people's feelings, and bring back these ships.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 24, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »

I'd love it too, but since you're essentially starting from sprites its an absolutely monumental amount of work.

All the .hulls have to be recreated, all the stats for all weapons and ships redone, all the campaign integration, scripting ... to whever takes this up, start slow or you'll burn out :)
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

FelixG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 24, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »

The sprites are absolutely gorgeous, I would love to see this rebooted so I could play with it in game!

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 11, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »

So I uhh... might have started working on a reboot for this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 11, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »

As long as you have permission I would love to see this mod revived with updated art.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45