Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 365812 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27
« Reply #615 on: February 26, 2014, 12:43:20 PM »

Well, they are old and haven't been truly worked on since 0.54 or whatever patch it was, things are bound to be outdated and cause issues.

still waiting for master keptin to come through with the eventual update. =D

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2014, 06:41:24 PM »

IFed is dated, it feels dated, and despite doing some work on it recently, I have no plans to maintain it, nor release a major update anytime soon.  Until Starsector gains some depth where I feel it's less space fleet simulator and more sandbox RPG, IFed is gonna sit on the bench.  I've lost interest in the game itself--there just isn't that much gameplay content; buy ships, buy weapons, find enemy, fight in arena, repeat.

I want deeper politics, meaningful trade, regions of space, a variety of mission types, exploration, faction campaigns w/ storylines, and more.  It could take years at the current rate of development.  In the mean time, it's ok to let IFed fade into obscurity--at the very least, please don't hold your breath.  You'll be dead long before an update comes.

If and when I release something, it's going to be a ground-up rebuild; an entirely new IFed.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 01, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »

hopefully the titan will stay in the new one....thats my favorite carrier.. but i know it seems dull now but at least you can work on it a little...the more work the better it turns out usually

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »

I want deeper politics, meaningful trade, regions of space, a variety of mission types, exploration, faction campaigns w/ storylines, and more. 

Some mods introduce similar mechanics, Vacuum, Ironclad, Bounty Hunt... But yeah, given the slow development of Starsector we won't get to see all those official features before a few months.

Even if you don't update Ifed for a while, i'll still be glad if you still try to keep it functioning as it is or at least let someone like kazi updating it when the new Starsector version come out. Still a lot of people love to play sandbox style with Ifed as a part of it.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 01, 2014, 12:37:23 PM »

IFed is dated, it feels dated, and despite doing some work on it recently, I have no plans to maintain it, nor release a major update anytime soon.  Until Starsector gains some depth where I feel it's less space fleet simulator and more sandbox RPG, IFed is gonna sit on the bench.  I've lost interest in the game itself--there just isn't that much gameplay content; buy ships, buy weapons, find enemy, fight in arena, repeat.

I want deeper politics, meaningful trade, regions of space, a variety of mission types, exploration, faction campaigns w/ storylines, and more.  It could take years at the current rate of development.  In the mean time, it's ok to let IFed fade into obscurity--at the very least, please don't hold your breath.  You'll be dead long before an update comes.

If and when I release something, it's going to be a ground-up rebuild; an entirely new IFed.

I couldn't agree more with this feeling. Although it's a high quality game, I find starsector to be very boring to play these days. There just isn't anything to do besides fight people. Fortunately, it appears I really enjoy modding, creating new music, art assets, etc., so it all works out. It's kinda funny, all the time I used to spend playing videogames is now spent making them.

I can do my best to maintain raw compatibility (if it's fine with keptin), but don't expect any new content or changes of that nature if I do.

bbarr97

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 02, 2014, 04:50:03 AM »

Sorry to see you depart.  As a last selfish request for iFed supporters could you release your updated artwork in a separate package?   They looked great and perhaps a motivated modder can take up the rein with your permission.

Regards

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 02, 2014, 05:07:56 AM »

The effort needed to keep a mod up to date is worth it in my opinion, despite also feeling like the game needs to mature more before other creative venues can be explored. I respect Keptin's decision though, I just think if I was in his shoes I'd rather spend some time keeping the mod up to date. However, if he feels like a complete rework is in order, there really is no sense in doing a baby steps approach. Working on a mod and keeping it polished is a lot of effort and it doesn't put food on your table.

reactorcore

« Reply #622 on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:14 AM »

Working on a mod and keeping it polished is a lot of effort and it doesn't put food on your table.

Would be cool if it did. Kind of how modders can submit creations to the Mann Co store in Team Fortress 2 and earn money from that. It would be like giving power to modders to make unnofficial DLC and have the ability to sell it, while giving Fractal Softworks royalties for using their platform (Starsector).

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 02, 2014, 05:48:47 AM »

We'll see. The Steam Workshop functions well because the games it serves are f2p and generate an enormous amount of traffic. If anything I could see myself monetizing my mod by selling freemium things such as physical copies of soundtracks or something, down the road. But this is a derail.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2014, 09:52:13 PM »

Sorry if I got some of your hopes up by posting recent sprite work--had some time on my hands and it was fun, and I may continue to do so, but the code backend is what needs work and is something I have no interest in doing at the moment.  I've been pretty vocal about official development being put on hold for a while now, but Kazi's recent update patch has revived IFed a bit, so I understand that it may have been misleading.

Kazi has my permission to continue to maintain it, keeping true to the original vision of the mod as closely as possible.  I'm definitely still around; I check the forums almost daily and keep an eye on the game's development.  IFed is still important to me, but I want to limit my time on it until it has more of a game to grow into.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm giving Starsector a hard time for its development pace/cycle. I love what Alex & team has made, it's fantastic and has so much potential.  I admire their persistence and dedication to their creation and understand the pace of indie development all too well.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:05:23 PM by keptin »

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 17, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »

You may want to Put Kazi on the main page as a new Maintanier or Kazi can make a Updated thread that is simply to keep the faction alive. I've to agree that star-sector isn't too great (yet) but it's a good time killer once in a while, and great factions like Ifed. Even if a little dated, give the game a breath of life every so often. Right now i'm trying to make my own faction based around tools that miner's would use.. a sort of Indepentant Mining Faction :P

Cameo to that...

Anyway, Thanks for what you've posted here Kip, I can't wait to see what you build up again from the experineces you've had. :)
Even if it's just afew spirtes to keep from getting rusty or somethin'. :P

Peter1x9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 18, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »

Ifed is still one of my favorites, despite the halt in development.  I really love being able to bring heavily-armed carriers and fighter swarms to every battle. 

I can understand your reasoning for halting development.  I'd really like for there to be more ways to make money in the game, besides just blowing everything up.  I'd also like it if planets were actually useful.  As far as this mod goes, I'd be happy if you guys just keep it updated to the point where it gets along properly with every new patch.  Imo, the sprites are all fine the way they currently are.  Even the Industrial ships are far better looking than their equivalents in the default game.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #627 on: April 18, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »

The changes to CR plus the Trade development that Alex is working on really feels like the metagame is getting more developed imo, so I have high hopes for a more engaging overall experience in the relatively near future. (And hopefully the return of IF with it :D  )

Dranume

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 17, 2014, 07:53:12 AM »

First of all, kudos on the cool ships!

Just a few things that I noticed while playing with these ships.

1. The Hypertug: Most of the tugs that I have used in the game come with the hull mod "grapple line" hull mod.  The one for these ships did not have one, and it did not seem to improve the burn rate for my little fleet while flying.

2. Early game, these ships feel like a water balloons that are slow and very little flux capacity.  Also, the weapon choices from the faction station are short ranged and lack any sort of punching power.

3. speed, most of the ships are slower than their other faction counterparts(<-- could be wrong), and with me being unable to get the tugs to work, its is rather difficult to catch anyone in or outside of solar system.

4. It seems the AI in this game does not like flying the ships to their strengths.. i.e. with one of the cruisers, the computer will never use the neutron blaster, with the missile destroyer, the AI does not like to use the missiles..lol

Overall, I enjoy the little challenge of figuring out how to use this navy in the game and I enjoy the esthetic of the ships, and I know a appreciate the time and effort that was put in for this mod.

** Just did some more reading and saw that you are discontinuing the work on the mod.  I understand how you feel, it is an extreme rinse and repeat game and gets boring fast.. but it is kinda fun to spend alittle time and put a fleet together to go pound other poor fleets.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:10:56 AM by Dranume »

uzsibox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 12, 2014, 07:09:54 PM »

sorry for necro, but anyone planning to update to 65.1.a ?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45