Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: What's your favorite ship?  (Read 55332 times)

Psigun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite ship?
« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »

Apogee! It's the sweet spot for an exploration cruiser ship. Love the asymmetrical aesthetic and large missile and beam hardpoints with surveying equipment. Lets it be the core of both the combat and surveying roles in one balanced cool-looking package through mid-game into late game.. I fancy the High-intensity Laser and Locust SRM Launcher with LR PDs on the aft and mid-ships medium and small energy slots, and tactical lasers on the fore slots. A single Salamander missile on the last spot is the cherry on top.

Wish there was a capital ship size upgraded version for late game to ease into. The Odyssey is very close, but lacks the built-in utility, large missile hardpoints, and is a broadside combatant rather than frontal standoff like the Apogee.

Ragebrew

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »

Apogee! It's the sweet spot for an exploration cruiser ship. Love the asymmetrical aesthetic and large missile and beam hardpoints with surveying equipment. Lets it be the core of both the combat and surveying roles in one balanced cool-looking package through mid-game into late game.. I fancy the High-intensity Laser and Locust SRM Launcher with LR PDs on the aft and mid-ships medium and small energy slots, and tactical lasers on the fore slots. A single Salamander missile on the last spot is the cherry on top.

Wish there was a capital ship size upgraded version for late game to ease into. The Odyssey is very close, but lacks the built-in utility, large missile hardpoints, and is a broadside combatant rather than frontal standoff like the Apogee.

I second this notion. The Apogee is the flagship of my exploration fleet, and I wish there was a Capital variant.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2019, 11:19:47 PM »

Mora.

Sure you can just treat it as X fighter wings for Y dp, but god to I love throwing cheaper fighters in it and decking it out to brawl.  Bonus points because the AI is godly with a damper field so I don't mind jumping out of it to tool around in a gremlin/wolf if i'm getting bored of the slower playstyles

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2019, 02:04:31 AM »

The Odyssey does have a large missile (synergy, but almost noone uses it for energy).  Unlike the Apogee, it can actually do something in combat besides waste time, so it's a great ship.  I hate flying broadside ships myself though.  The AI does fine with them so I still love the Odyssey in my fleet, but I never fly it manually except maybe for cleanup.

Paragon is the workhorse of my fleet and easily the strongest ship in the game, but personal favorite?  I'm going to say Tempest.  Absolutely useless to fly around in after early game, I've still had a lot of good times with that ship early and in older patches.  It's also the only vanilla frigate worth using in a late-game fleet, even if flying it myself is out of the question.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2019, 02:10:00 AM »

So you want a capital with surveying equipment/salvage gauntry/recoinassance package etc?

I think in mods only ship clsoe to this is a Mining Platform Starlifter.

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »

Apogee is my overall favorite. It has great utility functions and low maintenance/fuel costs. Armed with Plasma Cannon, two Ion Cannons, Sabot Pod and couple pd lasers it works great against most opponents. It has decent armour even if the shields get shot.

For pure combat ship I like the Aurora best. I equip it with Phase lance, 2 Pulse Lasers, 3 IR Pulse lasers and two Ion cannons, Sabot Pod and one burst PD laser. Lasers and Sabots deal with enemy shields, Phase lance peels off armour and ion cannons quickly turn any enemy into sitting duck. With max vents and flux distributor the ship is almost flux neutral with all weapons firing and hull-modded 360 degree front shields on. I have no plans to move into Capital ship myself. I leave that to more combat skilled AI officers and use the Aurora's great mobility to support them where necessary instead.

My favorite overpowered ship is Drover with Thunder class fighters. With 'Reserve Deployment' Drover can put out roughly the same number of fighters as much more expensive Heron. Drover has convenient missile heavy weapon load-out that lets it dish out major burst damage despite the very weak flux stats, not that it's usually required as the long range Thunders can reach most of the map with Drover staying safely in the rear. Thunders themselves are insanely good deal for 8 ordnance points and will easily cripple even capitals with their ion cannons, not to mention anything smaller.

My favorite frigate is Centurion. It was one of the first ships I added to my fleet and they are still part of my end-game fleet, now being pretty much the only frigate I deploy in major battles. 'Damper Field' makes this already sturdy frigate hilariously tough. They can single-handedly hold several frigates and destroyers at bay when defending tactical points. I don't think I have ever seen anything smaller than a capital deal hull damage to my Centurions. Two light assault guns, two light autocannons and two vulcans with unstable injectors, stabilized shields and armored weapons mounts make these incredible little support ships that still have a place in capital battles where any other frigate would perish in seconds.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]