Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Campaign story mods question  (Read 2723 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Campaign story mods question
« on: February 01, 2021, 12:15:38 PM »

Hello all,

I am a relatively new player, about a year now, and really enjoy the modded campaign play. I use Nexerelin and the Vayra's Sector megamods as well as a good amount of Miscellaneous Mods. I have tried most of the faction mods and really enjoy the time and effort the community has put into all of this.

Now my question revolves around mods that add story elements to the campaign. I was only aware of this as a possibility after playthrough being commissioned (shout out to commissioned crews) by Tiandong Heavy Industries and coming across its faction story. The main page of the mod does list "One quest and several unique campaign layer mechanics and mysteries to discover" which is why I decided to play as them. It really added to the game and I went into a deep dive of the faction mods but I do not see any that specify list a similar story mechanic on their main page.

Are there any other mods that you could recommend that add a story or questing element that is similar?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign story mods question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 02:54:18 PM »

There aren't that many mods with campaign-layer mechanics due to how hard these are to code - you're playing as THI, they have Survey Fleets and Mercenary Fleets with custom fleet AI which is hard to make work right.

Legacy of Arkgneisis adds a quest that ends with you finding a ship that has to be restored for its full potential, that mod also adds a bunch of heavily d-modded ships as derelicts for you to find. They aren't extremely strong, mostly a novelty factor.

Hazard Mining Incorporated doesn't add any quests, but instead adds multiple handmade systems, each with their own little quirk or enemy for you to fight - both in inhabited systems and systems out there in outer parts of the sector.

Roider Union has ship refit mechanics similar to Tiandong's, but they refit civilian ships into combat ships instead.

Gates Awakened adds a short questline to obtain access to few Gates in the sector for fast travel.

Tahlan Shipworks adds a bunch of ships that are found only as derelicts when exploring, most are RNG if recoverable, but also tend to be quite powerful, so it more or less evens out.
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 03:21:07 PM »

Thank you so much for your well thought out reply. It is a shame that the difficulty is so high, wish I could code, the added layer really added something without taking away from the sandbox nature of the game. I love that there is no mandatory main campaign that directs you around but if there were more lore and story optional quests it would add to the exploration factor I like so much.

I liked the refit option of Tandon combined with the enjoyment I get when mining and coming across a cache along with my love of The Expanse, Roider Union seems like a nice pick for my next RP campaign as a rock hopper.

Mach56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »

Terraforming and Station Construction has 2 quests, one involving gate building, and the other the ability to seed lobsters on other water worlds. Neither involve much exploring, they only involve vanilla systems.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 03:55:01 PM »

The main reason there are relatively few is that the game currently doesn't have the mechanics in place for easy mission/quest creation (although the next update includes those). It doesn't make sense to commit to long, involved storylines until the game makes it easier.

There's also the possibility of the game breaking your lovingly-crafted plotting and mechanics with new updates. Beyond a point, it's just going to make more work later for less content overall.

That said, I have big story hooks built into everything I do, that's always been the plan, and as the game becomes a better framework for it, I'm looking forward to lots and lots of campaign-layer adventures.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 04:11:36 PM »

That makes sense, but it is good news that the future hold promise. DME is one of my favorite mods for the time you put into it and with all the lore you added I sort of expected a story hook with the Blade Breakers but now I understand why.

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 05:41:44 PM »

I've just released Persean Chronicles, which contains nothing but a few campaign stories. You may be interested.
Link: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19830.0
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).