Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: this is the greatest game ever made  (Read 7909 times)

HannibalMannibal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
this is the greatest game ever made
« on: January 31, 2021, 07:23:26 PM »

i bought this game on the Sseth video a while back and ive put so many hours into it, like probably several hundred. its pretty much better than stellaris, galciv 2, space empires V, masters of orion 2, x3- whatever space sim/4x you can name this one is the best, and its not even finished. Like what the hell. AAA gaming needs to set it up. ive got my friends hooked on this game too that have PCs.

idk just wanted to say that shoutout to Alex for making such an insane game 10/10

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: this is the greatest game ever made
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 07:58:10 PM »

Ahh, thank you so much! <3 Glad you're enjoying it, and thank you for helping spread the word, too :)

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »

Amazing what a game can do when it doesn't focus on pushing everyone's PC to the breaking point and draining everyone's wallets with cheats, ain't it?  Starsector is a breath of fresh air in a swamp of corporate muckery and I'm all for it.  It's a GAME in a sea of "LiVe SeRvIcEs" and Alex does more actual thinking than Bethesda's entire dev team. (SHOTSFIRED)

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 05:02:28 PM »

Amazing what a game can do when it doesn't focus on pushing everyone's PC to the breaking point and draining everyone's wallets with cheats, ain't it?  Starsector is a breath of fresh air in a swamp of corporate muckery and I'm all for it.  It's a GAME in a sea of "LiVe SeRvIcEs" and Alex does more actual thinking than Bethesda's entire dev team. (SHOTSFIRED)

Really helps me double down on the "stop worrying about graphics" thing ive been telling people for ages.

HannibalMannibal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 10:05:10 PM »

i think the graphics for Starsector are beautiful.

a lot of people to me get caught up in the Shenmue issue- they are willing to trade any semblance of a good game for "good graphics," but these graphics look hilarious in ten years.

However, video gaming is an art just like painting or composing a symphony, and committing to an aesthetic is more important than trying to be cutting edge. look at frigging Cyberpunk. i think i have 30-40 hours in it on Steam, i actually enjoy it, but like it is in no way a cutting edge game. now let's look at a REAL cyberpunk game, like Shadowrun: Dragonfall. the graphics are committed to an aesthetic and it absolutely grips you because once the devs had that aesthetic, they were able to focus on incredible story telling and gameplay and other things.

I think Alex has gone more the Shadowrun: Dragonfall route than the Cyberpunk 2077 route, as he is clearly a visionary more than you can get in a large company dedicated to profit margins and investors and it pays off. you get a timeless graphic aesthetic with ships that look cooler and more interesting than stellaris, which unfortunately has some of the most boring ship design in any 4x. if you're willing to spend 30 hours of your life *** around with basically making your own ship mods, GalCiv 2 has probably the most extensive ship creation system i've ever seen, but uhhh i like to actually play my game. starsector falls on a great spot in between the two extremes, where you have pretty extreme ship customization but not so much that you can't just hit "autofit" and start playing if you want. every ship is clearly identifiable. the top down graphics are something you dont see anymore and really play well to the game. pretty much every other space game looks the same to me except Starsector, which has its own aesthetic. kind of like how Breath of the Wild looked so much different from every rpg that now every rpg wants to be Breath of the Wild.

HannibalMannibal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 10:07:53 PM »

bethesda and obsidian have become the single most embarassing game companies ever anymore though

i mean dude how do go from making games like uhhh KOTOR 2 and NWN 2: mask of the betrayer to fallout 76

whats funny is i live in west virginia and our governor signed an executive order marking like fallout 76 day or something like that

press f to pay respects for us out here in the boonies

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:39:33 AM »

i think the graphics for Starsector are beautiful.

a lot of people to me get caught up in the Shenmue issue- they are willing to trade any semblance of a good game for "good graphics," but these graphics look hilarious in ten years.

However, video gaming is an art just like painting or composing a symphony, and committing to an aesthetic is more important than trying to be cutting edge. look at frigging Cyberpunk. i think i have 30-40 hours in it on Steam, i actually enjoy it, but like it is in no way a cutting edge game. now let's look at a REAL cyberpunk game, like Shadowrun: Dragonfall. the graphics are committed to an aesthetic and it absolutely grips you because once the devs had that aesthetic, they were able to focus on incredible story telling and gameplay and other things.

I think Alex has gone more the Shadowrun: Dragonfall route than the Cyberpunk 2077 route, as he is clearly a visionary more than you can get in a large company dedicated to profit margins and investors and it pays off. you get a timeless graphic aesthetic with ships that look cooler and more interesting than stellaris, which unfortunately has some of the most boring ship design in any 4x. if you're willing to spend 30 hours of your life *** around with basically making your own ship mods, GalCiv 2 has probably the most extensive ship creation system i've ever seen, but uhhh i like to actually play my game. starsector falls on a great spot in between the two extremes, where you have pretty extreme ship customization but not so much that you can't just hit "autofit" and start playing if you want. every ship is clearly identifiable. the top down graphics are something you dont see anymore and really play well to the game. pretty much every other space game looks the same to me except Starsector, which has its own aesthetic. kind of like how Breath of the Wild looked so much different from every rpg that now every rpg wants to be Breath of the Wild.

Well said, SS is the perfect blend between Han Solo game play and interplanetary management sim.

I for one don't like how the graphics craze has affected the final quality of many franchises in addition to creating an artificial power/performance need in the market.

Gameplay is too often sacrificed in favor of graphics, game development is impeded because muh graphics and expansions/dlc are slower to make/more shallow than they could be because of it.

The smart dev knows that stylized graphics age much better than realistic ones and I can't understand why the market/people chase graphix in intense, tunnel vision games like fps and racing when players ignore the background details and just focus on what's right in front of them. Photo realistic graphics are better suited for the likes of adventure and isometric games where you can slow down and admire the view.

HannibalMannibal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 01:30:16 AM »

yeah its legitimately hilarious how graphically intensive like... call of duty is for instance when its players are not known for absorbing the details. the crazy thing is though, call of duty is probably objectively speaking the highest quality BS triple A gaming franchise there is: the games are usually polished and even if the plots are boring or cliche, they make more sense and have better acting than like Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Zero Dawn or any of the more generic releases that have come out. they are consistent. but these guys spend so much time on the graphics only to release the same exact game ever year. but they make so much money! why would they not? it's a sad cycle.

it certainly creates a large niche market for games like starsector, though

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 02:15:53 AM »

The Sseth video was my first contact with SS as well, but it took me some time afterwards to actually get the game, as I don't usually pay attention to early access titles due to how some of them tend to turn out. Then one day, out of slight interest, I checked some videos, checked the site, seen the Onslaught... love at first sight. I quite liked the description of the system requirements of the game, which are proof that a game doesn't have to be severely demanding to have good gameplay and also a nice and distinct look. Even the game's folder is only about 1GB of size (and admittedly about 2/3 of that are mods).

So all in all, distinct feel, nice graphics, great gameplay and doesn't murderize my PC (well not unless I have my way with mods, but that's on me).

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 12:36:44 PM »

It's probably the best space sandbox and arcady space combat game yes.

Not sure why you listed a bunch of 4X games and what they have to do with Starsector. Master of Orion is in an entirely different genre with no basis for a comparison to be made whatsoever.

A more interesting question would be: which is the better sandbox game, Starsector or Mount & Blade: Warband? Dunno.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 09:42:04 PM »

Honestly, this is the ONLY game that I actually tried my best to convince people to not pirate and instead buy to support the developers. I just love it!

BlackWater821

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 12:58:52 PM »

Despite having 6k+ games sitting in steam library and played some space 4X, ARPG, SIM, RTS or TBS titles such as..
Space rangers 2 reboot (228 hrs), Stellaris (233 hrs), Sins of a Solar EmpireĀ®: Rebellion (329 hrs), SPAZ (166 hrs), SPAZ 2 (124 hrs), FTL: Faster Than Light (466 hrs), Galactic CivilizationsĀ® II: Ultimate Edition (192 hrs), Stars in Shadow (173 hrs), EVERSPACEā„¢ (154 hrs), Battlevoid: Harbinger (86 hrs), VoidExpanse (63 hrs), Elite Dangerous (7 hrs), StarDrive (3 hrs), Starpoint Gemini Warlords (22 hrs), Distant Worlds: Universe (2 hrs) etc. And many still sitting in dust never been played.

However, 2 months ago some random recommendations video show up in youtube, out of curious after watch it and decided to research it a little bit.. i felt like wtf how did i miss such a gem? End up instant bought at https://fractalsoftworks.com/preorder/, and in fact this is one of a very few games i bought outside of steam due to some personal preference.

Can't say much about the pro and con here, but as of now i has around 418 hrs played time already (track via GOG Galaxy). Starsector certainly is my new fav now, thanks alex for creating this amazing gem ))
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 02:26:20 PM by BlackWater821 »

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 04:10:51 AM »

Seeing the name GC2 again brings back memories. Man I have no idea how I enjoyed that game given what a broken mess it was. fun memories though. Though your stellaris hours are amateur numbers

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 04:36:31 AM »

I loved Gal Civ 2 from broken mess to polished as it could of gotten. Was such a blast building ships and executing grand invasions. The AI could at times be very fun to play against. I can't remember the same feeling from Gal Civ 3.

Currently the next SS patch is all i can think of though. 4 years later it's still by far my favorite game, and if there ever is another as good as this, I hope people understand how lucky they are to have two gems like this around. I guess the MB: Warband was right there with it, but space is so much more fun.

Thecrippler

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 06:38:48 AM »

Hello all first i will like to say this is the D best game i ever play and still playing 2 months in a row and i can't stop playing it you guys are the BEST kip it up :)
Pages: [1] 2 3