Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: pathing for retreating  (Read 463 times)

yeahbutbttv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
pathing for retreating
« on: January 27, 2021, 02:48:33 AM »

i play using hit and run tactics to whittle down enemy ships, retreat and fight them again in their weakened state from a better position, but when i retreat i always have to go down to the bottom of the screen to do it. this is very irritating because if i want to use my hit and run playstyle successfully, i always have to keep my fleet between the enemy fleet and the bottom of the screen in order to retreat with the lowest risk of ships being destroyed. is there a balance reason why if a fleet wants to retreat, they have to retreat where they came in?

Mach56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: pathing for retreating
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:18:47 AM »

Well, retreating to where enemies come from doesn't seem like a good idea, and retreating to the sides doesn't make much sense. Up/down aren't options, due to Starsector being a 2D game, leaving the only option being where you came in from (assuming not a retreat battle).

yeahbutbttv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:53:22 AM »

how does retreating to the sides not make sense?

Mach56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 04:05:44 AM »

Your fleet is at the bottom, and the enemy fleet is at the top. Retreating to the sides doesn't get you any closer to your side, nor further away from the enemy. It's also a balance thing, retreating to the sides massively expands the retreat area, and could cause issues with the AI in where it heads when given a retreat order.

Kriby

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 04:10:20 AM »

I think the main reason it works this way is because sometimes a game has to be a game, more than realistic or complicated.

yeahbutbttv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 04:10:41 AM »

isn't the stage 2d? so where the enemy fleet came from, where you came from and where you leave shouldn't make a difference, as long as you leave from one of the sides? maybe i misunderstood what you said though.