Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: ESC button on the choose-ships-to-participate-in-the-battle screen minimizes it  (Read 708 times)

Apocalypse_O

• Ensign
    • View Profile

-and shows an empty battlefield. to me it appeared it just closed the window.
my suggestion is to remove this "feature". I pressed esc on this screen too many times on my playthrough, due to the nature of how it works on most of the other menus and trying to quickly navigate. I only just learned the reinforcements screen allows me to start the battle properly, but I didn't know about this before and had to load a save, sometimes minutes behind where I was.
Is it even useful for anything?

Kriby

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I had this issue too starting out, though it was in simulation and I was lucky enough to have it "click" what was going on.

One solution would be to add a semi-transparent banner that flashes on top of the battlefield UI when no allied ships are fielded that reads something like 'Press '<reinforcement button> to deploy ships'. Could be obnoxious if implemented poorly but I have faith based on what's already in there.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'm surprised the full retreat prompt that happens when you withdraw your last ship doesn't pop up here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi - thank you for bringing this up! This is very much something that's a complete blind spot for me; I'd never consider this but as you say it can be a real problem. I don't want to remove the ability to close the dialog entirely, though; occasionally there are legitimate reasons you may want to wait a bit. So: I've added a message that tells you how to re-open the dialog, if it's close without deploying any ships. Thank you again, I appreciate you taking the time to make the suggestion.

Apocalypse_O

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks alex.