Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Is this game dead?  (Read 39545 times)

Andrius227

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Is this game dead?
« on: January 24, 2021, 01:51:25 AM »

It's been like two years since 0.9.1 came out. I have waited patiently, i regularily checked for updates, but there is nothing.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game dead?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 02:40:04 AM »

Excuse me? Did you miss like 10 blog posts in between? Also if you follow Alex here or on Twitter you can clearly tell he's anything but dead, frequent updates and QoL fixes plus some teases here and there.

There's also a part of patch notes for the next version available to read.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 03:14:22 AM »

Did you miss like 10 blog posts in between?

Blog posts and such aren't game updates. I can't blame him to think that the project is dead since the game is stuck in alpha/beta state (no endgame, just base combat and generic missions) after a decade and development has slown down even more with no patch since May 2019.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:01:05 AM »

Dead game means abandoned game, nobody working on it anymore and so. Which was clearly OP's question (look at the title), so your response is beside the point.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 07:06:59 AM »

Blog posts and such aren't game updates. I can't blame him to think that the project is dead since the game is stuck in alpha/beta state (no endgame, just base combat and generic missions) after a decade and development has slown down even more with no patch since May 2019.

You joined the forum THIS month my dude. Calm down and learn some patience. Go play some other game if you've gotten burned out.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:23:59 AM »

You joined the forum THIS month my dude. Calm down and learn some patience. Go play some other game if you've gotten burned out.
Wooow, that makes the response even funnier.

To those who think rushing games (products in general) is gonna accomplish something, please take a look at the previous year. I think there's plenty of examples when people got so pissy they start insulting and threatening devs, devs release a game in a poor state with billions of bugs, engage "boo hoo the game sucks, can't believe it got out like this". Truly enlightened gamers.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »

Considering the development time, and that you do have to pay for it right now to official access.

I wouldn't wait around for the game to be updated, you'll burn your life over it. Judge it on how it currently is, and possibly be happily surprised if it does update while your interest is still on it.

If it's not for you, then it's not for you. No harsh feelings from me as life it too short to be waiting on a video game update.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 08:18:13 AM »

I wouldn't wait around for the game to be updated, you'll burn your life over it. Judge it on how it currently is, and possibly be happily surprised if it does update while your interest is still on it.

If it's not for you, then it's not for you. No harsh feelings from me as life it too short to be waiting on a video game update.

I would only partially agree with you, for things who will be somewhere implemented in the future, like tuned down pirates, refined endgame and more endgame content.

On the other hand, there are specific changes which have been teased by Alex for the next update, either via Twitter or the "In Development Patch Notes". And especially the QoL-changes and bug-fixes are such a big thing for me, that I prefer to wait for this update before buying and playing the game. Knowing that these things are missing in the current version would otherwise negativly affect my view of the game. And why burden your experinece of a game made with such dedication, if just waiting some weeks or months solves the issue?

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »

What does a forum joining date have anything to do with the game's current state after 10 years of development?
I was playing the game years back when it was just fighting pirates and called Starfarer. I made a forum account now after returning and trying out mods like Nex. But attacking a forum joining date and ordering other people was all you could do.

As far as I am concerned SS is currently still a paid demo that becomes a game only by piling mods made by passionate, unpaid heroes who add crucial elements missing from the game like faction dynamics. It's why I respect the modding community like the people behind (N)exerelin more than the dev. I wouldn't have this opinion if no money was involved yet and SS was truly just a passion project, like PR (a big standalone game/mod developed for 15 years by amateurs in exchange for 0$ and with more content and gameplay than most AAA games).

Anyways, the OP got answers and this is a discussion that warrants its own clean thread, so I'll see myself out.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 08:47:41 AM »

Yeah it's easy to mistake a "quiet" game for a "dead" one; SS is in active development right now and we all eagerly anticipate the release of the next version and the big changes coming to it.  Alex just isn't being pressured by higher ups or shareholders into releasing SOMETHING RIGHT NOW no matter how unfinished it is coughcyberpunkcoughcough and he's got a community that knows how to check in on him and provide encouragement without being, shall we say, obnoxious about it.

Be patient.  Starsector's about to blow up pretty big, I'd say.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 08:54:52 AM »

Alex just isn't being pressured by higher ups or shareholders into releasing SOMETHING RIGHT NOW no matter how unfinished it is coughcyberpunkcoughcough

Oof. I like the game too but in some places it just falls so short.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 09:07:51 AM »

@Helldiver

Don't know what kind of games you play but calling Starsector a "paid demo" is hilarious to me. Sure it has issues and holes to fill, but it's straight up more polished than most big budget games I played in the last couple of years. Also what's the logic behind it being free lmao? So what it takes a long time, there's plenty of similar games like it and the devs surely aren't just gonna give their hard work away. If you don't like waiting then play live service games with monthly updates that break more things than they fix.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 09:26:57 AM »

I'll say, while I appreciate people jumping in to (correctly!) point out that development is very much active, I'd also really appreciate if that didn't come with a side of putting down people that are dissatisfied with some aspect of development. It's entirely possible to have different opinions here, and a conversation about it without attacks on one's person (or, indeed, one's forum account creation date).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 09:40:14 AM »

My answer's pretty simple: No, the game development is not dead - but if you have to ask that question, then you should consider acting as if it was. The purchase page is pretty clear: you pay for where the game is now.

As others have said, even with the flaws in the current version, I find it to be a more polished and complete game than some officially-released-and-done games I've played. Will the next patch be better? Yes. Should you be holding your breath waiting for it? No.

Look, this bit may get a bit morbid, but it boils down to: there's one primary developer. This isn't even a small studio working on a game, here; there's a single point of failure and an -expletive- pandemic going on. There is exactly zero guarantee that the next patch will ever even happen. It's good odds that it will, and Alex is actively working on it, but if you feel you need that next patch to justify your purchase... then don't purchase yet. (Or if you already have, then judge the game based on how much fun/playtime you've already gotten out of it.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 09:54:02 AM »

Wyvern said it pretty nicely so I'll add just one final thing.

If you're gonna wait until something is completely done and polished so you don't experience "flawed" things, you're going to miss out a lot in life. Even with super clear goals and promises, you don't know how exactly will the final product look like, or if it'll even see the light of day. If something seems interesting, try it, you can always come back to it if it ever improves. What you can't do is bring back time. With some multiplayer games I seriously had more fun in their alpha/beta phases, even though that game is now much more complete and has more content.

I know this went way off from the original topic but it might get to someone at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12