Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Is this game dead?  (Read 39859 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game dead?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 04:41:01 AM »

He is right that Alex is taking really long to make his game. I'm rather impressed that Alex haven't gotten bored of it yet.

fallonsky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 06:27:09 AM »

He is right that Alex is taking really long to make his game. I'm rather impressed that Alex haven't gotten bored of it yet.

to be fair I've had projects and still have projects that have taken me months to complete and one that I am still only half way done with after I think its a year now >.> making stuff takes time and I doubt that this is what he spends all of his time on. That and from what I can remember every update that has gone up changed the game pretty significantly from balance to new things added that it felt more like a new game then just an addition to what was there before.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 06:33:06 AM »

Hopefully the second batch of patchnotes will be released mid-Feb.
Another blogpost is good too.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2021, 05:53:02 PM »

Hopefully the second batch of patchnotes will be released mid-Feb.
Another blogpost is good too.

I hope so to. I dont like being wrong

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2021, 02:00:40 AM »

I've been in alphas like cube world and mess games like towns. We get interaction from the dev here and details on changes taking place. This game is a model of how this should work and anyone complaining about it taking too long is legit someone who doesn't understand the process or quality control going on.

And patience is relative to the subject, it is not "a couple of weeks" just because other stuff is. Games take years to make and I've seen zero dev posts suggesting or even hinting at a completion date. Alex set the bar of expectations low to avoid timeline hype messes.

If you say it's "about 1 year" till release and it takes 8 years. There is a problem.
If you say it's "an ongoing project". There is no problem.

Great Leader

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2021, 03:42:43 AM »

I've been in alphas like cube world and mess games like towns. We get interaction from the dev here and details on changes taking place. This game is a model of how this should work and anyone complaining about it taking too long is legit someone who doesn't understand the process or quality control going on.

And patience is relative to the subject, it is not "a couple of weeks" just because other stuff is. Games take years to make and I've seen zero dev posts suggesting or even hinting at a completion date. Alex set the bar of expectations low to avoid timeline hype messes.

If you say it's "about 1 year" till release and it takes 8 years. There is a problem.
If you say it's "an ongoing project". There is no problem.
I agree good things take time. The dev team is small and some people are treating this like those commercially produced games, where they have their own share of such people.

I get the impression that this is more like a hobby rather than a full time job. I make things as a hobby as well, so I understand. If I was at a job making something, I'd try to do it by standards, but when I get home and make something I want, I'd treat it as my own baby and put time into it.

Not to mention it isn't even listed on platforms like Steam or GOG for broader audience. Which reminds me, that's how Rimworld started out too, with backing from the community and modders. It wasn't until very few years ago that game launched on Steam.

PainProjection

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2021, 05:25:18 AM »

Does anyone know when 0.9.5 going live? Last blog posted at 16th October 2020. Almost 4 months passed, i cannot wait to play new version.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2021, 05:29:43 AM »

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2021, 05:58:16 AM »

Does anyone know when 0.9.5 going live? Last blog posted at 16th October 2020. Almost 4 months passed, i cannot wait to play new version.
April?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2021, 06:00:26 AM »

April?
You didn't specify the year...
Please don't take me too seriously.

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2021, 12:19:34 PM »

Dead? No. Last time I launched the exe the game worked just fine.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2021, 06:35:51 AM »

I agree good things take time. The dev team is small and some people are treating this like those commercially produced games, where they have their own share of such people.

I get the impression that this is more like a hobby rather than a full time job. I make things as a hobby as well, so I understand. If I was at a job making something, I'd try to do it by standards, but when I get home and make something I want, I'd treat it as my own baby and put time into it.

Not to mention it isn't even listed on platforms like Steam or GOG for broader audience. Which reminds me, that's how Rimworld started out too, with backing from the community and modders. It wasn't until very few years ago that game launched on Steam.

I was in Rimworld alpha too, man did that game change a lot during the process and it took years. Same as this game, good dev interaction/feedback and active mods in the community. I recall threads like this popping up from time to time.

If it was on the major platforms 100% the calculation on update timelines would need to change. I'm in a few giant messes of game on steam where the devs rush out untested garbage to speed up the patch process and all it nets us is 4 pages of bug fixes, also angry players. So I'd say slow and good is better.

Also you bring up a important point, the modding community. It's fully supported here like for Rimworld and influences the healthy growth of the game, speaks volumes about the dev involved when they are willing to include the best stuff into the core game. A lot of devs hubris prevents that, thankfully that's not the case around here.

In the end we aren't making the game but we are helping to shape it. Realistically that's the most we could hope for.

snooze

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »

Happy to see how well the game is developing even though I can understand how some people become impatient.

blazeroth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2021, 01:22:05 PM »

I want to offer a word of encouragement to the developer here. When projects drag on for months at work, my psychological well being tends to take a hit. I cannot fathom what a decade of work on one thing must feel like. Good on you for sticking with something you feel so deeply about for so long.

machinech

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2021, 05:39:32 AM »

Oof the lad asked a simple question and pointed out a fact and a ridiculous number of folks got triggered. Alex wasn't among them. A Fair few of us while admirably passionate about the game might need to log out and take a stroll or something. When you take a simple question as some kind of slight, you might need to get some perspective. Some folks are as entitled to be unhappy as any one of us is over the moon about the game's current state or otherwise. Take a queue from Alex and relax.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12