Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Deploying and losing logistical ships for tactical bonuses and maluses  (Read 804 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This idea
1: allows players to risk logistical ships for tactical advantage
2: forces players to choose arm their logistical ships or mounting more hullmods on them (even better if permanent logistical hullmods don't count towards the two logistical hullmod limit!)
3: makes AI use more logistical ships while reducing the number of combat ships in AI fleets
4: makes players keep smaller logistical ships instead of getting rid of them once they have enough Atlases and Phaetons.
5: allows players to attack enemy logistical ships outside of retreats for more loot
6: makes frigates more important

Deploying logistical ships in combat increases a side's DP. Logistical ships which have retreated or are destroyed stop providing DP.
Larger logistical ships grant more DP. Combat and Phase logistical ships like Mule or Phantom grant less DP than pure logistical ships like Atlas or Starliner.
If a side ends up having less DP than the total DP of it's currently deployed ships, it's command point regen rate is reduced. That or faster CR decay.

Next, please add cruiser and capital size combat freighters/tankers/transports.
And please add [REDACTED] logistical ships.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:05:05 PM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Deploying and losing logistical ships for tactical bonuses and maluses
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 02:15:20 AM »

Interesting idea. It could be fun. Well, depending on what the "tactical advantage" would be. Flat x% changes similar to those of hullmods, skills, map control points would not quite cut it for me, it would be too little to waste the CR/deployment slot (even though I usually increase fleet sizes for my games).

However if you think more of a Freespace style support ship, being able to rearm and repair (in FS: Blue Planet, and only minor field repairs), or maybe even moderately recharging PPT of Frigates it docks with then I'm all for it. That would make it a necessary utility and would incentivize the player to cover it while it's doing its work. Also, it could breathe some extra life into Frigates in longer engagements. This is a role you could give to the Combat Freighters.

I'd have some ideas, but before being carried away I'd like to know what's the general opinion on something like this, and what your original thought actually was? As in: what would the deployed logistical ship do? Passive stat buff, greater sight of battle map, etc.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:34:30 AM »

Interesting idea. It could be fun. Well, depending on what the "tactical advantage" would be. Flat x% changes similar to those of hullmods, skills, map control points would not quite cut it for me, it would be too little to waste the CR/deployment slot (even though I usually increase fleet sizes for my games).

However if you think more of a Freespace style support ship, being able to rearm and repair (in FS: Blue Planet, and only minor field repairs), or maybe even moderately recharging PPT of Frigates it docks with then I'm all for it. That would make it a necessary utility and would incentivize the player to cover it while it's doing its work. Also, it could breathe some extra life into Frigates in longer engagements. This is a role you could give to the Combat Freighters.

I'd have some ideas, but before being carried away I'd like to know what's the general opinion on something like this, and what your original thought actually was? As in: what would the deployed logistical ship do? Passive stat buff, greater sight of battle map, etc.

I think it's an interesting idea. I question the AIs ability to use it mind you, but the concept is interesting. Of course, making use of it requires a level of timing and finese I'm not sure -any- AI shy of warframe is really capable of.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »

It's not quite the same as the OP's suggestion, but one of the mods I run with (DME, to be precise) includes logistical ships with built-in beefed-up nav relay hullmods. And, while I don't always put one or two of those on the field, it is something that does get some use.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

GenericGoose

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 05:49:05 AM »

I had an idea for a sort of radiation beam weapon that can shoot through debris and hulls, killing crew, lowering a ship's CR (I think brigador had a similar weapon). My friend added to that an idea of deploying civilian ships, to replenish the crew and bring CR back up. Not sure if it really works out in the setting, probably not.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »

I had an idea for a sort of radiation beam weapon that can shoot through debris and hulls, killing crew, lowering a ship's CR (I think brigador had a similar weapon). My friend added to that an idea of deploying civilian ships, to replenish the crew and bring CR back up. Not sure if it really works out in the setting, probably not.

I'd be willing to see that. Let's add into it. The longert they are in the larger the bonus CR, which starts to drain as a separate variable if they retreat. And to boost, they give an increase to operational time if they're out, meaning fielding them the whole battle gives a huge bonus. This would apply to cargo ships of course, not sure about others.