Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New User here. Have a few questions before purchasing game.  (Read 2144 times)

reb2002x

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New User here. Have a few questions before purchasing game.
« on: January 18, 2021, 09:17:46 AM »

Hello all, I hope this is the right forum section to post this topic.

Normally I buy all my games exclusively on GOG.com, but ever since someone mentioned Starsector on one of the forums there, it's been on my mind often. I've watch several YouTube videos and really like what I see so far. I spent a decent amount of time browsing the forum here to find some of these answers, but I felt I needed a bit more reassurance before purchasing. So here are my questions.

1. Is it called pre-order because the development of the game is still in progress?
2. If the answer to #1 is "Yes", is the game in a completed enough state to enjoy a full experience?
3. Is the game truly DRM free? (meaning no online activation or connection needed during installation or installs software such as Securom, Denuvo, etc.)
4. Once I purchase the game, is my understanding correct that I receive a digital code to activate the game during or after installation?
5. Do I need to receive a new code for each install or is that code good for all future installations?
6. I saw a page with 3 download links, for Windows, Mac and Linux (I use Windows 7-64bit Pro for most games). Is this the correct page and link for the latest game download? (Starsector 0.9.1a Release appears to be the title of the page)
7. Are the game file(s) I download, offline file(s) I can move or install to any system with a Windows 7 or 10 OS?

The forums have a lot of helpful people and Alex the developer seems to be very active here. However, these next questions were not easy to find on the forums regarding game functions.

8. Does the game have a save anywhere function or does it use checkpoints?
9. I understand from watching gameplay videos this is an action space (rpg?) game. So very important for me as I no longer have quick fingers. Is there a pause function?
10. Can the control keys for the game be remapped and are there any exceptions?
11. Last question, phew. Is there an in-game function or console command to reset/respec a character's stat/ability, etc.? (this in the event I screw up a selection in a major way after say 50+ hours of gameplay)

I appreciate anyone who can answer some or all of these questions. This seems to be a very friendly community with a very active developer and several active admins, so I look forward to my future activities here.

Thank you all and belated Happy New Year! Stay safe during Covid.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:27:04 AM by reb2002x »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New User here. Have a few questions before purchasing game.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:31:04 AM »

From 1 to 6, everything is a yes except 5, your code stays forever the same and you won't need to enter it after updates (unless you reinstall your Windows or something). And I'm pretty sure 7 is also a yes, I don't see how it would make any problems.
It uses old school rpg saves, meaning you can save whenever you want unless you're in the middle of combat. F5 is the quicksave key, very important as it saves lives and time.
9. I understand from watching gameplay videos this is an action space (rpg?) game. So very important for me as I no longer have quick fingers. Is there a pause function?
Yeah pretty much, it's a bit hard to exactly pinpoint the genre of the game but that's probably the best guess. And yes you can pause during combat whenever you want.
I honestly think 99% of them are rebindable, with the only excpetion I know of being resume course and stop following the current marker. There could be some more but I'm not sure.
11. Last question, phew. Is there an in-game function or console command to reset/respec a character's stat/ability, etc.? (this in the event I screw up a selection in a major way after say 50+ hours of gameplay)
There's a mod called Console commands, it allows you to do a variety of things. As for an in game feature, currently there's none but there's a skill system rework coming up in the next update where you can respec skills with Story points IIRC.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:47:07 AM »

2. If the answer to #1 is "Yes", is the game in a completed enough state to enjoy a full experience?

It plays like a fully completed game, but there is ongoing development to rebalance, redesign and introduce new stuff.

Jabroni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:47:33 AM »

1. Yes, it is in progress, there is dev dairy on main page.
2. In current state game is pretty much complete, in my opinion. It has a lot of features and very deep mechanics. There is no game timer, but I estimate I've spent about 40-60 hours so far and I'm still craving for more, also I haven't gone really far in terms of gameplay. There are few issues, though. Most of them are minor and let's be honest there are finished games that have bigger problems (ekhm...Cyberpunk 2077). I think the reason game is still considered as incomplete is because it doesn't suite devs' final vision. Which is great, because Starsector is really, really good right now and it's only getting better.

Biggest issue I've had so far was game not booting in 80% of time. The problem was with my graphics card. I've deactivated it in OS and play on Intel graphics, game is so light weight that you don't need graphics card to play it. However, I've had issues with drivers and my card before, so I think this problem is more on my side, that on devs'.
3. As my understanding goes: yes. I downloaded it for Linux. After booting it, all you need to do is just type your key and you can start playing. There's not activation via internet.
4. Once you purchased it you get the key, it's on the purchase screen and is sent to you via email. I don't know how it works on Windows, but on Linux there's no installation. You download game directory and launch the game.
5. I think you can use one code for all your installations, since it's drm-free and even share it with others. Of course I highly suggest being fair and buying one copy per person.
6. Yes, it's right page.
7. Yes, you download game directory with all the files.
8. You need to save manually, but there's quick save button (If I recall correctly)
9. There is active pause, so you can always pause evaluate your position and act accordingly, even in combat.
10. You can remap most keys, but not all if I'm correct. I am left handed and I'd rather have few keys on the right side of the keyboard. I tried, but couldn't. However, most important keys, for example in combat, can be remapped so no issue there. I'm not 100% sure on that point, since I got used to my hand migrating on the keyboard. ;)
11. I haven't tried, so I can't answer this one.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:51:18 AM by Jabroni »

reb2002x

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »

@Grievous69

Thanks for all the great answers, much appreciated.

1-4 & 6, good to know.
5. Glad to hear that. I'll have to make sure I save that key or email and copies of it to my backup devices.
8. That's certainly the kind of saves I like. Although I'll try my best to go through the game without reloading if I get blown up, to see how far I can get.
9. Thank goodness for that. It's tough for me to play RTS games of any type with the pause function.
10. If I can rebind even 90% of the keys I'll be happy. Default settings rarely ever fit me 100% of the time.
11. It's good to know there's a mod out there. I look forward to that update. As much as I appreciate the hard work people put into mods, some things I prefer built in-game by the developers.

@Jabroni

Thank you for reaffirming the answers provided by Grievous69, much appreciated.

1, 3-6, 8-10. Between both replies, I think I've got solid info now.
2. Agreed, no game is 100% bug free on all systems. Just too many variations. I use a EVGA 1080, hopefully I won't have that issue. Will cross my fingers.
7. From your reply it sounds like one game folder with all files inside, so there is nothing to extract, right? Just download directory and run the .exe or .bat file?
8. Manually as in typing in a save game name in the field once I select the save function or am I actually creating a sub-directory for the save files?
11. I think Grievous69 answered that one, but thank you for trying.

@Tempest

2. Thanks for reaffirming the other two replies. Every bit helps. :)

I want to thank you all again for the replies and the answers within. Now if only I knew how to reply to each of you separately. Guess I still have much to learn. :)

The info I got from everyone was enough to reassure me, so I'll probably buy the game in the next couple of days.

Online purchasing always makes me a bit nervous and with GOG.com I only had to give up my name and card info and nothing else. So, it'll take me a couple of days to make the leap lol. I know it sounds silly, but it's just who I am. :)

P.S. I am curious why other online sites don't have that simple payment method, including this one. It would clear a huge barrier when it comes to online buying for reluctant people such as myself. It must be one heck of a complicated process.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:49:37 PM by reb2002x »

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 03:04:20 PM »

The other questions were answered well, but I wanted to go more into detail on this one. It is possible to pause mid-combat and giving orders while paused is encouraged for batch orders due to the command points system mechanics. But if the combat pace is still a bit too fast normally and you don't mind modifying an organized text file, its possible to change the combat speed as well to slow it down to some preferred speed or speed it up to a max of 2x base speed.

Or if you would prefer it to be a toggle you can grab the SpeedUp mod, unzip it, and plop it into the StarSector mod folder. Then you can open the text file in the SpeedUp's mod folder and change the speed to the preferred less than 1 value as a toggle in case you prefer to slow things down on command from time to time.

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 04:20:18 PM »

1. Is it called pre-order because the development of the game is still in progress?
The game is still in development. This means that new or existing features are being added or changed. Version 1.0 will be the full release, and all subsequent releases will be either patches or (free or paid) expansions.

The game is complete enough to enjoy quite a bit. There are some missing (planned, but not implemented) features, but these are few and far between. If you enjoy colony building, exploring, fighting, and smuggling, you'll love the game. There are plenty of ways to play the game, and the game files are modifiable to do different things. You will likely get hundreds of hours out of this game.

3. Is the game truly DRM free? (meaning no online activation or connection needed during installation or installs software such as Securom, Denuvo, etc.)
No online connection required. It is CD-Key DRM, and you can find such a CD-Key online in some game reviews.  Please pre-order the game if you decide you like it.

4. Once I purchase the game, is my understanding correct that I receive a digital code to activate the game during or after installation?
You will receive a CD-Key. The game requests it on initial launch and not thereafter.

5. Do I need to receive a new code for each install or is that code good for all future installations?
It is a CD-Key and the game has no way of telling if a key has been used. Therefore, you can play the game on infinite numbers of computers with a single key. You can pass it to all of your friends. Whatever you do, realize that nearly or over a decade of work has gone into the game so far by the devs. Please buy the game and encourage anyone you share a key with to do the same.

6. I saw a page with 3 download links, for Windows, Mac and Linux (I use Windows 7-64bit Pro for most games). Is this the correct page and link for the latest game download? (Starsector 0.9.1a Release appears to be the title of the page)
0.9.1a is the current release as of writing.

7. Are the game file(s) I download, offline file(s) I can move or install to any system with a Windows 7 or 10 OS?
They are offline files.

You must manually save.

Yes. In space combat, you can command your ships to do things. The AI will do their best.

I think they can all be remapped. TBH, you will find that the majority of the keys you use in combat are WASD, 12345, and space.

There are mods that do this, I think.

reb2002x

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 06:49:41 PM »

@SapphireSage and @FenMuir

Thank you both for the additional info. I'll look into the SpeedUp mod and it's good to know the default keys are WASD and the number keys. I use them a lot for Endless Sky and EV: Nova, so that should make it easier to start.

With all the replies from everyone one this thread, I decided not to wait the two days and decided to purchase the game.

I'll be off to play the game for the next few days and look forward to making use of all the info and tips. Have fun and hope to see you all next time.

Thanks again everyone! Stay safe during Covid.