Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Does starsector like multicores? Or is something really wrong with my mods?  (Read 1922 times)

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile

I've got a really good PC, ryzen 2700x, 1660 TI, 16 GB of RAM, and the game lags *badly* when it really shouldnt. And I mean BADLY. If I use the HMI mod, and engage a large mess swarm with 400 battlesize, graphicslib off, at cactorum (the station in the mess system) with a fairly small defense, holy GOD the game lags. I reached framerates of 3 just because of the goddamn fighter spam. I could elaborate more but only really if you're legitimately interested in knowing what else I had enabled at the time, which I wont be able to answer perfectly.

This isn't even to mention vanilla, which, yes, does in fact lag quite a lot before even reaching a fight that maxes out the battlesize of 400. Theres numerous other scenarios, too, where my game lags when it really shouldn't.

I understand it's more important to cater to the lower end of the spectrum when the higher end usually is doing pretty good, but this is just really disappointing.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

That doesn't sound right, no. With your setup I wouldn't expect vanilla to lag much if at all. I mean, it might dip below 60 in some larger battles, but I wouldn't expect anything major.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers recently? This almost sounds like what might happen if you have very old drivers.

Also, if you have something like MSI Afterburner running, try turning that off. If you haven't rebooted recently: definitely do that, too! And just in general whatever other software you have running, I'd try turning off as much as possible to see if anything is interfering.

This is for vanilla, though; I can't really speak to performance with mods.

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'm going to do some testing with a conveniently placed testing mission in one of the library mods (which shouldnt impact performance whatsoever) on pure vanilla to see if it's something to do with my mods, and get back when I'm done.

And thanks for responding, and sorry for putting this in the wrong forum.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

(No worries!)

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile

i accidentally hit enter and dont know how to delete posts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:07:44 PM by NikoTheGuyDude »

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile

Alright, well, the benchmark gave me a recommended battle size of 826 so I'm not going to believe that.

Using the GraphicsLib benchmarking mission, I found that I consistently dip down to 50 FPS with shaderlib disabled, sometimes even LOWER, down all the way to 42, in particularly intense sections of 400 battle size battles.

For context,
 had about 39-42 fps at the screenshot, with the tac map being

This, doesn't account for the lag I get with adjusted sector and nex and factions and such on the campaign layer (which, I'll admit, is due to adjusted sector but it does lag a lot more then I feel it should.

I also just updated my drivers, I dont have afterburner active, I have most of my other programs disabled (however discord and spotify and chrome and notepad++ are all still open).

This is also with ONLY lazylib and graphicslib enabled (shaderlib is disabled)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:01:22 PM by NikoTheGuyDude »

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Alright, so - there are a few things you should know when modding, that are not common knowledge yet.

How to properly install mods:

Get all the mods you would like
Get Wisps’ VRAM usage estimator: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19122.0
Trim your mod list until you have at least 300 mb free VRAM. Not doing this will result in stutter, regardless of “how strong” your system is.
Second, you need to increase the allocated RAM: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0
Never allocate more than 8gb of RAM – 6gb is the safe bet, and enough for most mod lists.

”Fixing” Vayras’ Sector
VS (currently, as of 14.01.2021, VS version 3.1.5) has problems. It spams fleets that never despawn, causing lag, and, at worst, the inability to save.
For new saves, do this before starting:

Go to Vayra's Sector\data\config\vayraRaiders
Open warhawk_republic.json
find the line:
"spawnNonEventFleets":true, # OPTIONAL Boolean, default false
    # Causes small, NON-EVENT-RELATED fleets to spawn from ALL markets owned by the faction (i.e. not just bases created by this framework)

and set it to false
do the same for hegemony.json

For ongoing saves, get ClearCommands: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19210.0
Run the console command cSmartClear once the campaign starts to stutter.

Adjusted Sector

The base Adjusted Sector settings are ludicrous and will lag out even very strong PCs. You MUST reduce the default size if you want to ever not lag out. even 10% increase in vanilla sector size corresponds to a ~20% increase in system performance requirements.

Seriously, don't run more than a 10% increase on vanilla.

Follow all that, and your modded experience will markedly improve.
Oh, and regarding combat lag - 42FPS sounds okay? Not seeing an issue there.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:48:12 AM by SirHartley »

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile

Oh don't worry, I already know most (or all) of that, I'm pretty invested into starsector modding. I just felt like my framerate was far, far worse then what it should've been, as I really don't have a good baseline to compare my FPS to.

But thanks for specifying how incredibly laggy adjusted sector is, because *christ* thats laggy.