Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: gravity assist/slingshot maneuvers.  (Read 968 times)

Snapshot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
gravity assist/slingshot maneuvers.
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:05:28 AM »

Does anyone use gravitational slingshot maneuvers to navigate the star systems faster? I kinda think it should be a thing. I know there are hyperspace storms you can use to speed up your travel through hyperspace, but not really the same thing.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: gravity assist/slingshot maneuvers.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »

Does anyone use gravitational slingshot maneuvers to navigate the star systems faster? I kinda think it should be a thing. I know there are hyperspace storms you can use to speed up your travel through hyperspace, but not really the same thing.

Gravitational slingshot requires relative speed to the targeting celestial body. Also, it can work one way or another: it slows you down if you enter the gravity well in certain directions. To simplify the equation, you gain approximately double the velocity of the celestial body's.

It's not that it'll be difficult to implement but it's rather that being impossible to implement it in a visually intuitive way.
Also, the celestial bodies' speed ain't that impressive comparing to scale of things in this game, to a degree that it's safe to be ignored.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Snapshot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:16 PM »

Perhaps you're right. Maybe the real gravity assist were the friends we made along the way.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »

you fly a antimatter burning fleet that traverses a hole solar system within a few days, at this levels of speed only neutron stars and black holes are dense enough to change your speed vector significantly.
(Given you don't collide with the object)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:32:41 PM by ubuntufreakdragon »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:56 PM »

We actually use to have gravity wells and such in the game but they were removed for the current burn level system
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 01:53:21 PM »

We travel through star system faster than light. The speed of gravity is the speed of light aka speed of causality.

I'm no theoretical physicist but I don't think things moving faster then light can't be affected by gravity hell even space/time in the same way as before.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:55:28 PM by Linnis »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 03:59:09 PM »

Travel within a star system is nowhere near light speed! It is relativistic though no doubt.