Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reputation Buffers  (Read 833 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Reputation Buffers
« on: January 02, 2021, 12:39:04 PM »

It is weird how reputation levels can flip flop. You can sat bomb a planet then give everyone 1 gamma core each to earn forgiveness. Or work your rep up to cooperative then instantly lose whatever coop gives you due to a smuggling scan.

The game Rimworld always gives a buffer when you change reputation levels so flip-flopping doesn't happen. Starsector can't copy the exact way Rimworld does it because Starsector assumes rep X always equals rep level Y. To get around that, I suggest adding rep shields and locks.

Shields and locks would stop you from losing or gaining reputation, respectively. How much they'd prevent would depend on the last rep level you gained or lost. For example, rising or falling to favorable might give you a 5 point shield, and rising or falling to hostile might give you a 15 point lock. This would put a buffer on the 0-side of each rep level (excluding neutral, which already has buffers) so there would no longer be strangely quick reputation changes.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Reputation Buffers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 12:49:19 PM »

I'm fairly certain that Contacts and Story Points are going to revise all our preconceived notions about reputation. Maybe return to your suggestion after patch release.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 06:02:28 AM »

Contacts and story points have nothing to do with this.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 06:14:37 PM »

I see what you mean, but doesn't really see any benefit.
You have to explicitly and actively screw with the reputation system to make the flipping frequency high enough to become concerning, and at that point it's really you actively wanting that so you can't complain.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.