Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Any Chance of a Surprise Christmas update Alex?  (Read 2448 times)

Gus979

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Any Chance of a Surprise Christmas update Alex?
« on: December 24, 2020, 05:50:59 AM »

You don't have to say but

---Blink twice for yes---

Any time now....

but seriously, I don't want to miss it if there is lol. It seems like I always check in a month AFTER he's dropped a massive update

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chance of a Surprise Christmas update Alex?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 07:46:59 AM »

No chance, I think. The trick to seeing the update immediately is to check the forum multiple times a day! And Alex's twitter account!

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »

Alex has been quiet as of late, which tells me that he's hard at work. 'Tis better to let the busy stay busy, me thinks. :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 08:31:55 AM »

All I want for christmas is the second batch of patch notes
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 11:11:32 AM »

No chance, I think. The trick to seeing the update immediately is to check the forum multiple times a day! And Alex's twitter account!
Alternatively i have the discord channel mostly muted except for announcements so i know when something big drops.

But yeah devs are humans too. I very much doubt we'll be seeing the patch before the new year. It could happen, but this time of year everything takes more time because people often have real life commitments.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 12:04:18 AM »

Personally I have a dedicated gamma core hooked up to my adrenal gland that is constantly monitoring all forms of communication from Alex.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »

He actively avoids making any sort of even suggestion/hint/crystal ball of when it might be updated.

Nafensoriel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 06:36:28 AM »

Any sane developer never promises. If you promise murphy will show up and plant a full-on kick to your projects gonads while also lighting the building on fire just to spite your optimism.

It comes when it comes. It's better to have rabid customers than disappointed customers.

Lucky Mushroom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »

Maybe Alex is prepering something even bigger. And boom advertisement on steam check out this game.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »

That seems unlikely.

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »

Any sane developer never promises. If you promise murphy will show up and plant a full-on kick to your projects gonads while also lighting the building on fire just to spite your optimism.

It comes when it comes. It's better to have rabid customers than disappointed customers.

I think a distinction needs to be made here. A developer should never make promises to the players/buyers. A developer should always made promises to themselves. Planning out a general goal and completing it is the basis of any work. Set deadlines and goals to yourself to make realistic completion, and then edit as necessary for the completion of the goal. you can edit *** after it's done. Starsector is doing right now with the new skill system and missions, like stellaris did with federations and borders.

Nafensoriel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »

I think a distinction needs to be made here. A developer should never make promises to the players/buyers. A developer should always made promises to themselves. Planning out a general goal and completing it is the basis of any work. Set deadlines and goals to yourself to make realistic completion, and then edit as necessary for the completion of the goal. you can edit *** after it's done. Starsector is doing right now with the new skill system and missions, like stellaris did with federations and borders.
Hah to true. Though a developer who can't make promises to themselves is called Chris Roberts.:D
Seriously though scope creep is one of the things that bite new programmers in the butt more often than not. Fortunately, it's not something I think Alex has a problem with. Development may be slow but it always has a direction(from our POV anyway).