Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suicide by Flash Bomber/Piranha  (Read 1104 times)

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
Suicide by Flash Bomber/Piranha
« on: December 16, 2020, 07:46:07 AM »

I enjoy larger fleet battles with extensive front-lines and all kinds of cruisers and capitals skirmishing back and forth in the center, while destroyers and frigates are skirmishing at the flanks. Meanwhile I usually keep my carriers behind the center line, so that they can assist in pushing the center line. As such, I usually employ bombers, with the occasional interceptor/fighter mixed in if I'm lacking for anything else.

Now, although Daggers and Khopesh are quite fine choices, I pretty much like the area denial effect of the Piranha and the Flash Bombers. My only issue is the way they release their bombs. As the bombs have quite a long lifespan, they begin releasing them from quite far away. While they have some consideration for friendly ships, they don't seem to mind the player's ship's position that much. I prefer to use sluggish ships in larger engagements, like the Dominator or the Onslaught, which can tank quite some damage, however with my engines being bombed to smithereens, floating into the middle of enemy lines is not all that useful for life expectancy.

Normally I can sort of work around this, with making a gap in the front between my lines and that of the enemy, but it's not always feasible.

In conclusion, my suggestion would be to restrict when Piranha and Flash Bombers can release their bombs, so that they don't propel the player's flagship into the enemy.

I could not find topics with the same issue, so qurious if anyone else has had this experience?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide by Flash Bomber/Piranha
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »

Hi! The good news is that I'm fairly sure there are some improvements related to this, for the next release. It's not in the patch notes, but there are a number of items that kind of fell through the cracks as far as being written down.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »

Worst ones are piranhas because their bombs are hard to see and my flagship (and others) took heavy damage from junk that blended too well with the background.

I dump piranhas and avoid using flash because friendly fire with bombs happens too often (read: more often than rare once-in-a-blue-moon freak accident).

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 04:13:41 AM »

So, it's going to be changed. Awesome then!

Also good to read, that others also experienced this. Eliminates the uncertainty, that I did something wrong with their deployment.

Looking forward to the next release, whenever it will arrive. :)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 03:13:40 PM »

One soft-fix for this is also to add a blinking glow to the Piranha's bombs and make them a little more visible.