Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Necessary 4X mechanics  (Read 1565 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Necessary 4X mechanics
« on: November 21, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »

• Being able to make peace with factions... after beating them to a pulp (exhaustion system)
  • Permanently reducing a faction's warmaking ability through contacts, story points and precision attacks or just straight up satbombing them. Ways to stop factions from sending fleets without completely destroying them
  • More, new uses for reputation, now that contacts are a thing
What also do we need?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Necessary 4X mechanics
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 06:41:50 PM »

Build an ever expanding empire until all worlds are colonized (and maybe winning the game in the process)!  We can do this today through alpha core farming from unlimited Ordos (with Radiants), but Alex hinted that he may fix that abuse eventually somehow.

Maybe:  Take over core worlds aside from sat-bombing and building a new one over the ashes.

Pesky NPCs colonizing some fringe systems, maybe.

Way to permanently deal with zombie factions (pirates and maybe pathers).

Way to activate the gates.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:23:23 AM »

What also do we need?
4X is a strategy. In strategy you need some sort of resource limit (either hard limit or at least limit by balancing how fast resources are rrplaced and consumed).

There is no limit on resources in SS right now. The only thing they affect is stability. Ok, the second is how much money do you get every month.

But the problem is: you dont have, for example, real choice of what resource to max out. I mean: you can colonise every planet with volatiles and destroy all other fuel producers. Will it change something? No, it will not.

Another thing: ship production. Factions spawn ships like crazy. Literally out of nowhere. You can destroy them (and salvage stuff) - they will make more. And more. And again... Seriously, pirates can fill all empty space by metal, until sector turns into giant black hole. Where do they get all this stuff? I dont know. But if we want 4X, we need more "material" resources.

It can make the game boring. But i want such gameplay anyway.
Spoiler
[close]

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 01:32:21 AM »

Did you guys completely forgot all the numerous times Alex said he won't go into 4x territory? Sure we might get a thing or two but don't get your hopes up for nothing. Also there's Nexerelin for those who want such mechanics and gameplay.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 01:44:22 AM »

Did you guys completely forgot all the numerous times Alex said he won't go into 4x territory? Sure we might get a thing or two but don't get your hopes up for nothing. Also there's Nexerelin for those who want such mechanics and gameplay.
Hey now, let them dream. It's not going to harm anyone.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 01:48:25 AM »

Did you guys completely forgot all the numerous times Alex said he won't go into 4x territory?
No, i dont. I m just mentioning the most important part and trying to explain why Nex right now is not 4X.
Spoiler
[close]

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 04:19:03 AM »

Not complete 4X, just parts of it.
Not much more 4X than building a structure to defend a planet you just colonized.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 04:26:27 AM »

Yeah the current game has 'colonies' as a nice way of generating extra money and building ships for your fleet.

Going beyond three or so colonies effectively requires AI cores which have the penalty of hegemony inspections and possible future remnant activity.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »

Going beyond three or so colonies effectively requires AI cores which have the penalty of hegemony inspections and possible future remnant activity.
For me, the worst part is Pather cells that cannot be dissolved (because cores become sticky soon enough), which will be fixed (no more ignoring terrorist attacks), although they only appear at size 4 or bigger worlds, which means keep those worlds at size 3 to prevent cell formation.  On the other hand, size 3 might make them vulnerable to the zombie pirates... unless player befriends them.

Although bribing Hegemony will require story points, so... sat bomb them all away to eliminate that nuisance.

Yes, I would not want full 4x.  They are annoying to play.

It is like calling Starsector a full-blown RPG.  It has gold (credits), XP, levels, and encouragement of murderhobo behavior, but none of the tedious turn-based and menu navigation just to kill some slimes or "What do you do" off-the-rails hijinks.  At least Starsector lets player develop from murderhobo to space lord like early TSR-era D&D fighters.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:29:11 AM by Megas »

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 07:24:13 AM »

I used to think I would like stuff like 4X mechanics in the game, more realistic and just makes sense and all that.

Does it make it fun however? Not a damn bit. Just tedious, I have enough of that at my day job.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »

Personally, I really don't want to see the game go in the 'conquer everything' direction. I've never played a game where doing that didn't become a thoroughly unfun slog long before it was done. Even games like civ that are centered around conquering are way more fun when the empire is small and the decisions you make are less numerous and more impactful. By the time you're clearly capable of conquering the world, the game is over because none of the other factions present any threat and you're randomly clicking stuff because you have 8000 decisions to make and none of them matter anymore.

I do really like the idea of factions having more of a dependance on resources that the player can interact with. If you can weaken a faction by interacting with their supply chains, that's very interesting, and I feel like that fits into the game pretty well.

I've made several threads about faction relations before, but I think the system needs a rework, and that the current system is way too fundamentally grindy to make for enjoyable gameplay, but that's just me.

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:34 PM »

For me, the worst part is Pather cells that cannot be dissolved (because cores become sticky soon enough), which will be fixed (no more ignoring terrorist attacks), although they only appear at size 4 or bigger worlds, which means keep those worlds at size 3 to prevent cell formation.  On the other hand, size 3 might make them vulnerable to the zombie pirates... unless player befriends them.

Although bribing Hegemony will require story points, so... sat bomb them all away to eliminate that nuisance.

Yes, I would not want full 4x.  They are annoying to play.

It is like calling Starsector a full-blown RPG.  It has gold (credits), XP, levels, and encouragement of murderhobo behavior, but none of the tedious turn-based and menu navigation just to kill some slimes or "What do you do" off-the-rails hijinks.  At least Starsector lets player develop from murderhobo to space lord like early TSR-era D&D fighters.

I would consider Starsector a RPG.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 03:15:10 PM »

Starsector is an RPG (among other things); it's literally in the first sentence on the official site.
Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”) is an in-development open-world single-player space-combat, roleplaying, exploration, and economic game. You take the role of a space captain seeking fortune and glory however you choose.
Turn-based gameplay is not a necessary component of the RPG genre.