Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: screen resolution options  (Read 7534 times)

freedomworks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
screen resolution options
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »

Hello,

using the Linux version of game, looking for a config file to adjust the screen resolution.

I have dual screens, game wants to play on both screens & only allows 1 screen resolution setting.

I want game to display on only 1 screen.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: screen resolution options
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »

If you look in data/config/settings.json, there's a "resolutionOverride" setting. If you uncomment it and set to the desired value, it should do what you want. Let me know if that helps!

freedomworks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »

Hello ,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

adjusted that file, and my custom setting appeared as the screen option on startup.  Checked full screen, and it now appears to work on 1 screen.   

Off to try it out!

Thanks!

freedomworks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »

Hello:

When I uncomment this setting with new .35a version, am now getting the initial screen dialog with the specified screen resolution, but then an error message :

Fatal: Format specifier 'd'
Check starfarer.log for more info.

what appears to be the relevant log

Code
11118 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - ID     Calls   Duration    Percent
11121 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - --------------------------------
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Starting Starfarer 0.35a Preview launcher
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - OS: Linux 2.6.38-11-generic
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Java version: 1.6.0_25
395  [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Found display mode: 3840x1080, 50Hz, 24bpp
5293 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Running vanilla game with no mods.
5293 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.settings.StarfarerSettings  - Loading settings
5353 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.graphics.O00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOO  - java.lang.Exception: Failed to set display mode.
5356 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.OO0O.o0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO  - java.util.MissingFormatArgumentException: Format specifier 'd'
java.util.MissingFormatArgumentException: Format specifier 'd'
at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.String.format(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.graphics.O00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(
Unknown Source)
at com.fs.graphics.O00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.รด00000
(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.OO0O.o0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

thank you for reading.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »

Ironically, that error message is caused by the logging of an error in setting the display mode. The logging code was changed since the previous version - so apparently, the error was still happening then, but isn't fatal (it finds *some* display mode reasonably close to what's requested - as it would now, except for the secondary logging error).

What're you setting the resolution override to? If it's not the native resolution of your main display (or some other resolution it supports), I'd try that - it may avoid this error altogether.

freedomworks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »

Thanks for reply.

Just tried this setting in settings.json:

"resolutionOverride":"1920x1080",

with same result. 

If useful, recently got an nvidia update on my ubuntu box so that now am running NVIDIA Driver version 270.41.06

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:27 AM »

Hmm. Unfortunately, sounds like it's not going to work in dual screen mode until the next version is out - unless there's something you can tweak in your graphics settings.

The trouble the game is having is that 3840x1080 is the only resolution it's seeing as available. My guess is that's somehow related to the way the graphics driver handles dual screens, but it's not something I can really test due to not having that setup.

My apologies!

freedomworks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »

Turned off 1 monitor in my NVIDIA X Server Settings

X Server Display Configuration >   Display Resolution > 'Off'  , then 'Apply'   (even though 'TwinView' is my Configuration)

Left this setting in settings.json:

"resolutionOverride":"1920x1080",

and just completed the Tutorial!     

I was skiddish about changing these settings, since in the past NVIDIA's settings applet required write out to the Xorg.conf file, restart, sudo access, and a sacrifice to the gods to get configured correctly.  Like all things, it has gotten better with time!   

Thanks for your help & replies!   off to play!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »

Excellent, happy you got it working :)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »

hey...on that same screen...why is there no exit button...like if you wanna change your mind...instead you have to go to the game after it loads then quit...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »

Yeah, I'll have to add a close button at some point. For now, you can press "Escape" and it'll exit the launcher.