Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Render options for ships' engines  (Read 813 times)

Astarat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Render options for ships' engines
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:11:37 AM »

While making a mod of mine, I've encountered some "difficulties" regarding the interaction of engine flares with ships' and deco weapons' sprites. The biggest one - the lack of an option to force the engine flare to be rendered "under" the ship's sprite, making the use of deco weapons mandatory in the case when I want the engine to be partially covered by other parts of the ship (wings, armour plates etc.).

A rather "simple" (as I do not know how exactly difficult it'd be to implement into the game engine) option to decide whether the flare should be rendered on top of the sprite or under it would be a really nice addition and a saving grace for more "complex" ship designs for the modding community.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Render options for ships' engines
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »

Hi - since this is super easy to do, added a "RENDER_ENGINES_BELOW_HULL" ship_data.csv hint.

Astarat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »

Oh wow, certainly didn't expect such a quick responce! And thanks a hell of a lot!

Astarat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 10:22:04 AM »

Oh, and one more thing. If it's going to be a hint in the ship_data.csv, it means that all engines are going to be rendered under the ship, right? Is there a possibility to make it so that one can specify which engines go "on top" as usual and which ones go "under" on the same ship?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:24:02 AM by Astarat »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »

Yeah, it's for all engines. Making it per-engine gets a lot more complicated!