Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Velocity: Vanguard, a space physics board game on Kickstarter  (Read 791 times)

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Velocity: Vanguard, a space physics board game on Kickstarter
« on: November 03, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »

No idea if there’s any interest in board games around here, but the subject matter aligns.

Velocity: Vanguard is a space combat board game with a focus on inertia-based movement and customization. Ships maintain a velocity vector from turn to turn, which they can only modify by accelerating with their rear engines. Ship weapons are often facing-dependent as well, which makes maneuvering into a trade off between getting to the right location or shooting all your guns.

Also, the game is super pretty.
Spoiler

[close]

Anyway, if anyone’s interested, check out their Kickstarter page or a longer review I wrote. They have several games recorded on Twitch, but for anyone who wants to try it out live, they should release a Tabletop Simulator module later this week. Let me know if you want a demo!
Kickstarter page
Longer review on BoardGameGeek

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Velocity: Vanguard, a space physics board game on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:49:40 PM »

That movement system looks super interesting! My impression is that the game might have turned out too complex, though. I can't imagine playing this with any of my non-nerd friends.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Velocity: Vanguard, a space physics board game on Kickstarter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 10:23:07 PM »

Yeah, that's true, it's probably intended for people who already like board games. I only got to play one demo, and it can be made fairly accessible by learning to fly with only one ship before adding in weapons, but it would get complex with more-advanced weapons and/or more ships.

If you want a lower-complexity space board game, Gravwell was pretty neat. It's a game where you're stuck in a gravity-less parallel dimension and you're trying to race towards the exit. However, when you move, you always fly towards (or past) the nearest opponent. You then try to simultaneously guess how many spaces everyone else is going to move and whether they'll go earlier or later in the turn order than you, predicting their movements to your advantage (or flying backwards by accident!)  That's completely unrelated to the original post, of course  :D