Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: use story points to hullmod ships to upgrade their mounts  (Read 1566 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
use story points to hullmod ships to upgrade their mounts
« on: November 03, 2020, 08:27:25 AM »

if I were given the option to use story points on my flagship to upgrade its single-type mounts to become hybrid-type slots and then upgrade its hybrid-type slots to universal-type mounts, one mount at a time, the entirety of my mid-game goal would be to get my flagship to universal mounts -- even if I didn't use any different weapons on it than I did at default because I was using that ship as my flagship because I liked its default loadout options, I'd still be compelled to do this every time and it would feel so good once its done
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:12:35 AM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: use story points to hullmod ships to upgrade their mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 08:34:06 AM »

It sounds neat for a mount or two but it would completely break the game if you could put entirely missiles on a low tech capital. There's a reason why ships have limited missile mounts, otherwise you'd deal insane amounts of dmg for 0 flux and just put Missile racks on everything. Just imagine an Onslaught with all mounts filled with missiles, tell me that wouldn't be completely busted.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »

It sounds neat for a mount or two but it would completely break the game if you could put entirely missiles on a low tech capital. There's a reason why ships have limited missile mounts, otherwise you'd deal insane amounts of dmg for 0 flux and just put Missile racks on everything. Just imagine an Onslaught with all mounts filled with missiles, tell me that wouldn't be completely busted.

yyyeah but it costs an extremely rare non-replenishable resource & you can lose ships & the unreasonable-ness of a ship getting this scales 1:2 with how many story points it takes to get a universal capital ship. It could be really easily balanced out by having each stack of this hullmod decrease your ability to recover the ship if it gets blown up in combat, so ships that need a little bit of tweaking are fine (replacing the missile slots on an Eagle that you dont want missiles on...) but a ship that's been 100% universal's is a crown jewel that really shows off the fact that you've never lost thus far with it
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 09:15:55 AM »

Story points are infinite btw, your character stop getting skills points at lvl 15 but you're still gonna get story points.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »

right but how many mounts does an onslaught have? Multiply it by 2, thats how many levels you'd have to grind out just to get 1 all-missile onlaught? If a player grinds 36 levels just to get 1 missile battleship, I'm p sure thats infinitely less OP than anything else they could have gotten in those 36 levels

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 09:27:05 AM »

One or two medium kinetics on an aurora, or lots of kinetics on a paragon... It would be absurdly OP. Ships are carefully balanced around the mounts they have available, and all of that would be thrown out the window.

Also that sound super grindy which sucks IMO. I don't think balancing OP ships with a huge amount of grinding is fun in any way.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »

I'd rather have Aurora get its small synergy mounts be changed into universals, then I can rock a quadruple needler/railgun Aurora and completely wreck everything in my path. Or get an Odyssey and make its missile mounts into universals or large energies into hybrids, or do so with Paragon. High-tech becomes best tech once you start slapping ballistic-capable mounts everywhere, just check out Underworld's Cabal ships.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 12:22:12 PM »

Leaving aside that I think this is an extremely bad idea, it's hard to see how it would work with the architecture of the game. Like, it's one thing to have a bad idea; I've had them, some of them are still up on the forum for people to giggle at, but it's unclear how this would work under the hood, too.

Personally, I like the game a lot more with synergy and composite slots taking over for some of the universals. Mounting limitations make for more interesting ships overall. Being able to remove that would remove a lot of the reason to use and outfit different ships; if you can do it all to one ship, then you can do it slightly to a bunch of ships. And ships are defined by their mounts as much as anything; there are interesting games where you can mount any weapon in any slot, but they aren't much like Starsector as we know it anymore.

SomethingOrOther

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »

For my 2 cents, that sounds like a really fun end-game to try out all kinds of crazy builds.