Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crewmates  (Read 994 times)

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Crewmates
« on: November 03, 2020, 07:15:49 AM »

As of now those are just another ressource like supply and fuel, you buy them, they have an upkeep, and you have some more than necessary in case of issues.
Is there a mod akin to Starship legends, but for crew? As in gaining positive/negative traits to your fleet depending on how you treat them.
From older threads, 10 credits/m is a very high salary, which implies that the crew for hire on the market is composed of skilled personnel that could easily qualify for anything else.

The question: How such people who studied and trained for years, would react to see themselves and others put in talons to distract an enforcer's flak, or getting assigned to a ship who blew up four times in the last five battles? All of that with a 100% casualty rate because why use recovery shuttles and blast doors when you can just buy new and just as efficient fodder at the nearest starport?

Be it crew xp, morale based on recent victories and/or % of crew that died that month, can such a system fit one day into the game as a whole, or is it overdone mechanics that gets in the way of combat?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Crewmates
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 07:23:10 AM »

Crew xp was a thing before, and let me tell you, you didn't miss much. It was just a hassle that introduced more problems for virtually no gain. You'd just be playing Tetris with crewmates so your best ships have the most experienced crew. I'm glad we got rid of that needless mechanic.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »

I wasn't around for the crew XP era; the general consensus seems to be that it was at best fiddly and at worst nightmarish.  I do have to admit having some kind of persistent crew morale/attitude/experience mechanic would add some interesting tuning levers though.  It was a key factor in games like Sid Meyer's Pirates, where doing things that boosted morale was key to keeping a big crew ready for adventure...and avoiding the dreaded mutiny.  Maybe SS just has too big a scale for that to be practical but who knows?  Maybe we just haven't stumbled upon an elegant system for it yet.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 07:47:34 AM »

I wasn't around for the crew XP era; the general consensus seems to be that it was at best fiddly and at worst nightmarish.  I do have to admit having some kind of persistent crew morale/attitude/experience mechanic would add some interesting tuning levers though.  It was a key factor in games like Sid Meyer's Pirates, where doing things that boosted morale was key to keeping a big crew ready for adventure...and avoiding the dreaded mutiny.  Maybe SS just has too big a scale for that to be practical but who knows?  Maybe we just haven't stumbled upon an elegant system for it yet.
Fair points, these do get brought up regularly. But my reasoning is that we already have tons of things to manage and keep track of. Having yet another resource in campaign would make for an even more punishing experience for new players. So far in all games I've played that had some sort of morale system, I never went "huh, this is an interesting mechanic", almost always it's just a second health bar.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »

I liked crew experience a lot and even if I understand the reasons for removing it, I still miss it.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »

I liked crew experience a lot and even if I understand the reasons for removing it, I still miss it.
Agreed. I'd much rather have crew XP back than the current "which officers boost max CR" dance. Alas, it is what it is.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 12:35:37 PM »

Each level of crew experience was it's own 'commodity', so you had 4 stacks of crew, each with a separate value. Both mechanically & monetary.
Not only did this take up a non-trival amount of inventory space for almost zero benefit, it mattered exactly what order your ships were in as the most experienced crew were assigned first.
It also induced such insanity as repeatedly hiring the greenest possible crew, training them, then selling them on to make a profit.

As much as I dislike micromanagement, it sometimes does serve a purpose.
The 'old' crew mechanic however, was not one of these things.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »

I do have to admit having some kind of persistent crew morale/attitude/experience mechanic would add some interesting tuning levers though.  It was a key factor in games like Sid Meyer's Pirates, where doing things that boosted morale was key to keeping a big crew ready for adventure...and avoiding the dreaded mutiny.  Maybe SS just has too big a scale for that to be practical but who knows?  Maybe we just haven't stumbled upon an elegant system for it yet.

In my imagination CR includes crew morale.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 01:28:00 PM »

In my imagination CR includes crew morale.

I always thought CR meant crew combat readiness, not ship combat readiness.