Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI firing at empty space  (Read 5512 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
AI firing at empty space
« on: October 31, 2020, 07:12:09 AM »

So ugh, while making build variants for the tournament, I came across this weird thing.

I've never encountered this before, especially the Dual flaks hitting blank space at less than half range of my ship. And it couldn't have been a ghost missile or something because my ship has no missile weapons. Xyphos were chilling waaaay back in the meantime too.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI firing at empty space
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 10:32:39 AM »

Hmm - at a guess, maybe the Pulser is in a group with some other guns it was trying to fire? That'd explain it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »

The Conquest from the simulator is the Elite variant, I've loaded it up now and the Pulser has its own weapon group, Flaks are grouped together. It was obviously firing only those 2 guns at the ship, while being vastly out of range. I've fought this exact Conquest in the sim at least a hundred times, so this is either some super rare ultra specific freaky bug, or I broke the game somehow.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »

Alright - I'll keep an eye on it and see if I spot this happening in vanilla! Not seeing this happen at all (tried an Onslaught vs a Conquest), though perhaps that's as-expected, given what you've said about how rarely it happens.

The fight wasn't long enough for the Conquest to get to low CR and start seeing permanent weapon malfunctions, was it? That could cause weapon group changes and I can imagine some kind of bug there.

Thanks for the report, regardless!

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »

Definitely didn't last long enough for malfunctions to start. I even tried running the same ship (same loadout) against the same Conquest 10 times, and everything was normal. Truly bizarre.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 11:41:01 AM »

Nevermind I got it again, guess it's not so rare after all, at least in this specific scenario.

I still have no idea what causes this. My guess is it tries to capitalise on the high flux ship so it fires everything it can. Idk I'll try to recreate this with a vanilla ship with no mods enabled to see what's causing this wacky behaviour.

I've noticed a trend it usually does it after it fires the Hurricane, as it's trying to maximize burst damage, but it also does it without the missile so maybe just a coincidence.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:50:09 AM by Grievous69 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »

The Liberator doesn't have an over-sized sprite, does it? If the sprite has a ton of empty transparent area around the actual ship, I could see that messing with the range estimates. Might also require the collision radius to be set pretty high, though.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »

Oh yeah that could be causing it, I'll message the ship author a bit later too see what's up.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »

It's about as bog standard of a topology that you can get.  The sprite has the minimum 1px border, and the collision and shield circles are nearly identical.

Also, its ship system has this configuration:
Code
{
    "id":"swp_punisherjets",
    "type":"ENGINE_MOD",
    "aiType":"CUSTOM",
    "aiScript":"data.scripts.shipsystems.ai.SWP_PunisherJetsAI",

"statsScript":"data.scripts.shipsystems.SWP_PunisherJetsStats",

"engineGlowContrailColor":[70,50,30,255],
    "engineGlowLengthMult":1.5,
    "engineGlowWidthMult":1.5,
    "engineGlowGlowMult":1.5,

"flameoutOnImpactChance":0.2,

"clampTurnRateAfter":false,
    "clampMaxSpeedAfter":false,
    "alwaysAccelerate":true,

"outOfUsesSound":"engine_disabled",

"aiHints":{
        "activeSpeedIncrease":0,
        "burstMovementPotential":500,
        "averageSpeedIncrease":35,
    }
}

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »

I guess that's that that idea out the window! Thank you for the details.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »

It's because the AI is deciding to use the Tactical Lasers as its "active weapon", so it switches to the 5th weapon group and, since all the weapons in the group are linked, it will waste shots on the Ion Pulser/Dual Flak (since the Liberator is in the firing arc of the weapon slot).

If the Conquest moved back into Mjolnir weapon range it'd probably go back to working as intended (edit: in fact that's exactly what happens at the end of the video).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »

Ah, you're right! The Pulser is indeed in the same group as the tac lasers; mystery solved.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 01:16:21 AM »

So wait, are the sim loadouts configured differently from the autofit ones you get in the missions? Because they're both Elite variant, have the exact same weapons, but weapon groups are totally different. Bug or not it really shouldn't have half of its weapons in one group. Disabled every mod and it still has all those guns on the 4th weapon group, in the end it really was just a vanilla thing.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 08:45:09 AM »

Not sure if autofit does an auto-generate of weapon groups when it's done or not; if so that might explain it. But in the actual default Elite Conquest variant the Pulser is in the same group as the tac lasers.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »

If you use the autofit to fit a goal variant, it does indeed automatically set the weapon groups - otherwise you'd probably have weird weapon group behaviour when you make an autofit without having the exact weapons specified in the goal variant.

(Actually, I'd really like it if that didn't happen assuming you had every weapon required for a given goal variant.)