Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So... this game is just a really fleshed out version of Weird worlds: RTIS?  (Read 2058 times)

Radio Edit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I started playing because i loved Return to infinite space when i was a kid. I really liked the premise, i really liked the worldbuilding, and the various factions.

There's one thing that this games sorely lacks for me tho - tension, or an endgame akin to one of the random events of RTIS.

Anyone else noticed this? Anyone else here played RTIS, loved it and was looking for more than just a "quick game"?

Honestly i'm still torn, i'm having fun with this game, but it lacks a sort of "umph", like an endgame attack, or an endgame enemy.
It lacks even basic atmosphere stuff, like the black hole ripping you off in a way as to build tension, not just trapping you there and slowly nibbling away at your health.
But i have really high hopes if the next patch comes with a endgame enemy, or something else really than appropriating wealth just so you can supply your ship and appropriate more wealth.
Having colonies doesn't seem to be rewarding, and feels like a chore more (you can't create a home fleets to defend yourself/do jobs, can't initiate war) but i'm still kinda new to the game
Some pictures for reference [

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:36:51 AM by GAY_WEED_DAD_69 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

There's one thing that this games sorely lacks for me tho - tension, or an endgame akin to one of the random events of RTIS.

Very much in agreement as far as that, yeah - been building up to that, but an endgame is definitely the major missing piece!

(Could you please change your name to something more appropriate? Thank you!)

Radio Edit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

What's inappropriate with my name? It's been with me for the past 10 years :(

Also - do you have any mod suggestions that would fix any of the issues i have? Preferably the colony one.
I would love to divert some of my fleet for defense, so instead of selling them for a ridiculously low price - i could use them if any of my other ships get destroyed
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:38:01 AM by GAY_WEED_DAD_69 »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

HOLY ***, finally someone who played that game a ton as a kid. Man it's such a gem but I've never found someone who has heard of it. Played it so much after school (now have it on Steam :) ). The sequel was kinda eh, hoped more would come out of it, barely any mods out there unlike the RTIS. Anyways yeah, same as you, that game really scratched my itch for space combat and customisation, but when I found Starsector I could never go back to that point and click combat. Basically super fleshed out with actual balance, and then a thousand other things around it to make it a real proper game.

God I'm going through such nostalgia trips right now, thanks for reminding me of the good ol' days.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile

Also - do you have any mod suggestions that would fix any of the issues i have? Preferably the colony one.
I would love to divert some of my fleet for defense, so instead of selling them for a ridiculously low price - i could use them if any of my other ships get destroyed

Mods I'm using that enchance colony management, depth and also challenges (aside from Starfarer Mode):
-Second Wave Options
-Ruthless Sector
-Better Colonies
-Industrial Evolution
-Nexerelin

Edit: actually, the first two improve campaign difficulty, Second Wave actually improves AI colonies to be more of a challenge to take over tough.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:04:18 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

The combination of all caps, a drug reference, and a sex reference all wrapped up into one is a bit much. With all due respect, you can change it, or one of the mods can do it for you.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

HOLY ***, finally someone who played that game a ton as a kid. Man it's such a gem but I've never found someone who has heard of it. Played it so much after school (now have it on Steam :) ). The sequel was kinda eh, hoped more would come out of it, barely any mods out there unlike the RTIS. Anyways yeah, same as you, that game really scratched my itch for space combat and customisation, but when I found Starsector I could never go back to that point and click combat. Basically super fleshed out with actual balance, and then a thousand other things around it to make it a real proper game.

God I'm going through such nostalgia trips right now, thanks for reminding me of the good ol' days.

The mods for the game are great too!  It's a great game to fit into a spare 15 minutes.

The way WW and Stellaris have "end games" I feel really helps give the player an opportunity to call it a victory and quit.  And there's something about that, which really helps with a perception of how the game is.  There's probably a whole game-design theory around this, but I do think it's a useful tool in the game dev tool box.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

FYI, you can create a home fleet to patrol, defend and hunt pirates close to colony systems. The colonies do that automatically, and Patrol HQ / Military building size determines how big the fleets are.

You're right about actively declaring war.. that could be a low-hanging fruit to add to the game, since it's in effect just an insta relationship loss.

Radio Edit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The combination of all caps, a drug reference, and a sex reference all wrapped up into one is a bit much. With all due respect, you can change it, or one of the mods can do it for you.

Eh, that's the point of the name - it is what you make of it. Being gay isn't sex, neither is the number 69, weed isn't by definition marijuana. And yeah, the all caps just accenuates that. But if it's that bad - surprise me and change it. Love this community so far

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:25:11 PM by GAY_WEED_DAD_69 »

xrogaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Eh, that's the point of the name - it is what you make of it. Being gay isn't sex, neither is the number 69, weed isn't by definition marijuana. And yeah, the all caps just accenuates that. But if it's that bad - surprise me and change it. Love this community so far

Thanks guys!
Here's a suggestion: GWD LXIX

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: So... this game is just a really fleshed out version of Weird worlds: RTIS?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »

Thank you for understanding/being willing to go along with it! Changed it (to something I thought was pretty funny from a song... a long time ago, at this point); feel free to change it if it's not to your liking.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: So... this game is just a really fleshed out version of Weird worlds: RTIS?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 11:50:35 AM »