Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: money making guides?  (Read 2665 times)

Warlord-616x

• Commander
    • View Profile
money making guides?
« on: October 26, 2020, 10:22:50 PM »

hey guys so been playign for awhile now and bene looking high and low and trying everything little thing i can get my hands on, but im just not making any money.  missions are few and far between and ive recently tried bringing online 2 of the bigger ships ive found but now im chewing through resources at what seems triple the rate and because i have less fuel range my options are further limited.  trade system even on the black market just isnt enough with limited demands and shrinking prices.  in a few weeks ill be totally dead in the water at this rate so my only question is... what do you guys do for money?

im going to need a serious step up or even two to hope to keep these bigger ships going. not sure if the guides i had found elsewhere were just dated or what but their advice has just not been very lucrative at all....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:24:36 PM by Warlord-616x »

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: money making guides?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 12:52:30 AM »

(depending on your current situation it may be easier to just restart a new game)

Basically you want to minimise your expense and maximise your income.

Having your fleet doing nothing or roaming within a star system has a supply cost. Having you fleet roaming in hyper space has a supply+fuel cost. Also don't just pick any ship available for salvage, as the supply and fuel cost do increase the bigger your fleet gets. There are skills that reduce the supply and fuel expenses.

Now the question is: how do you generate sustainable income?

System bounties may be a good solution as you don't have to roam in hyperspace and can easily repair and re-supply your fleet.

Depending on your player experience, person bounties may have a higher risk/reward. These are especially interesting if you can do more than 1 at once - that is without going back to the core (and/or do something else like exploration mission in the same fringe area) - because then you reduce the overall resource consumption and increase the overall income.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 02:24:27 AM »

Your fleet has to match what you're trying to do. If you "luck out" and get slow destroyers or cruisers early, then try to catch system pirate fleets that are running away, your advantage has turned into a ball-and-chain. Salvaged ships (except for the tutorial ones which I believe you get repaired for free after NPC dialogue) are not worth to be restored. They may be worth keeping if the lasting damage is minor. Early game, your best bet for ships is the black market. Also if you get too many ships, as you did, you will get supply and fuel locked.

The early game is very much like a frog puddle-hopping from system to system trying to stay wet. So you have to weigh opportunities. Trade missions in bars are good when they happen to line up with your course. System bounties are not only lucrative, but they also give you an idea where you'll find a lot of salvage. Keep an eye out on your hyperspace surroundings as well. Grab every floater you can find - mostly for the scrap. You can get free crew and officers that way as well. Around bounty systems you often find debris fields that you can loot, or easy fights you can join in. These fights have a cost-gain ratio. You pay upfront in supplies, then make gains if you manage to do enough damage to win an excess in money back. Fast ships, snipers and decently fast carriers are first choice for ally battles. A phase flagship like the Afflictor can easily pay for its cost. Named bounties are your next line of income. These have to roughly match your power level and location / where you are willing to go. More ships may be worth it, filling officer slots is always worth it. Salvage every decent debris field twice, at least.

If you do well enough, you can come out ahead on supplies and fuel after battles. Meaning if you don't take too much damage and salvage twice. This way, you can keep yourself going even if you're out in the middle of nowhere doing a line of bounties. Ideally, you will come back with no less fuel and supplies than when you went out, but with a whole lot more money.

Early game means short fights. This gives an advantage to armor tanks / low tech as well as limited ammo finishers like Sabots, Harpoons and Torpedoes. Don't be afraid to put 2x3 Sabots or 2x2 Hammers on frigates. If missiles manage to delete an enemy ship early, your odds are immediately better. Later in the game more OP-efficient and ammo-efficient weapons tend to be better.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:27:48 AM by Schwartz »

Unsavory

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:48:38 AM »

Easiest $$ is to find a Survey mod early.  Load up ships with that and explore a few systems.  Will not take long before you are loaded with cash.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:46:26 AM »

Easiest $$ is to find a Survey mod early.  Load up ships with that and explore a few systems.  Will not take long before you are loaded with cash.

This, and you might start by putting points into industry skills.  50% bonus finds from ruins/derelict stations can be quite a lot of money.  Also, repairing half of all damage for free, combined with the extra salvage, means that your exploration won't be limited by supplies--only fuel.  Instead of buying supplies, you'll nearly always end up selling excess, as long as you don't make a habit of committing excessive forces to battle.

That said, if you want to go for more personal heroics, then focus on combat skills and bounties.

It's also possible to focus on science skills and make a fortune smuggling/trading with certain undesirables.

edit: And as previously mentioned, whichever of these paths you follow, you'll want to make sure to build your fleet appropriately and not carry around a lot of deadweight.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:48:58 AM by basileus »

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 08:13:26 AM »

I would say there is 3 ways to really play the early game.

1. Combat
Talk to one of the major factions, join them, go around killing their enemies.

2. Exploring
Go around and explore, in current version a bit easier cause you can search the ruins on all the core systems still.

3. Trading
Trade and do the trade quests. Smuggling is good too.

Also personally I start my own colony ASAP as it is pretty much a perma source of passive income and small early game colonies are easy to defend / manage. I always have a colony making me at least 10k a month before the fleet academy money runs out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:19:05 AM by DancingMonkey »

Warlord-616x

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:23 AM »

does that stuff respawn? was wondering if some of the ships and salvage ive been picking up were a one time thing.  and i picked up a salvage rig and decked it out with a survey equipment etc and had already explored most of the ring around the inner planets and that was how i found the 4 legion 14 battlecruisers in the first place but will try that out some more. was already scouring the closer regions looking for places with debris fields so that i could potentially salvage some fuel coming and going from the core and found 2 good places that seem to have lots of debris fields and salvage that let me get home when im otherwise out of fuel....

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 09:06:53 AM »

really easy way is to smuggle early. scavenge some small pirate ships, preferably with shielded cargo holds mod. now go find some conflict zones, really early that would be small pirate markets being raided by other factions. you should be able to sell supplies/drugs/organs there for huge profits. you can buy those in the same system. just learn how to stealth. although it's not always possible if there are 7 patrols around the same market.

Akogishi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 11:44:47 AM »

Items do not respawn in the debris fields.

System bounties can also be profitable. A couple of ways they can be profitable; 1) salvaging battles fought by AI 2)or, you can clear out pirates raiding a system with a small fleet and quick engagements.

Also, sometimes two factions will have simultaneous system bounties in the same system. Even more profitable...

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 12:43:24 PM »

Some one else already mentioned this, but there are are 3 main sources of income: bounties, exploration, and trade. I don't think you need to over-specialize for any of these, but understanding what makes you better at each of them lets you improve your fleet. It may be simpler (in terms of learning game mechanics) to pick one and focus on it, but I find it's often more efficient to mix and match as opportunities arise.

For combat, the only way you will make good money is by killing bounties, and you really need to scale your fleet to the available bounties, otherwise your supply consumption will be too high. System bounties will mostly involve fleets of frigates and destroyers, so you really don't need anything cruiser sized or bigger in your fleet. For person bounties, you want a similarly sized fleet to the bounty, maybe a little smaller or larger depending on your skills and piloting ability. If the bounties you see have no cruisers, then you shouldn't need any yourself (and same with battleships). As you become better at the combat layer, you can get away will smaller and smaller fleets. I would highly recommend storing the legions you have until you start seeing bounty fleets with capital ships. Officers are also very helpful for combat so consider hiring some.

For exploration, fuel efficiency is super important. Be every careful to check the d-mods on your ships and avoid the worst ones. Degraded engines and increased maintenance are killers unless you have the skills that mitigate d-mod penalties, and I would immediately trash any ships with those hull mods. Hull mods that reduce sensor range or increase sensor profile are also pretty painful since everything will see you before you see it. Low tech ships also tend to have higher fuel consumption so it can be worth avoiding them for exploration. Finding the surveying equipment hull mod and spamming it on civilian ships in your fleet can make all surveys cost 5 supplies, which is very helpful. Also make sure to put militarized subsystems on civilian ships. The skill that increases salvage also helps a lot for exploration. I would recommend trying to find 2-3 exploration missions to do in the same area, and then explore some of the surrounding systems looking for stations and wrecks to loot. New missions will have popped up by the time you return to the core. You really don't need a ton of combat ships to explore, so unless you're mixing in bounties on  your trips (i do recommend this), you can significantly reduce the size of your fleet. You will want lots of cargo and fuel space though, so grab some tankers and freighters.

For trade, you will not be able to make money by trading on the open market. The only way to be profitable simply buying/selling is to deal in high value commodities on the black market. You will need to approach with transponder off, so understanding the sensor mechanics is key here. You can also make money by doing trade missions that are given in the bar. The value of these is based on the amount of cargo capacity you have, so if you buy lots of freighters, you will get offered much bigger cargos that pay a lot better. You can make all of your money just doing these if you want. You can also cheese the game a bit by raiding small worlds (such as donn) and knocking out their space ports. This will create lots of shortages and missions that you can make money off of.

Warlord-616x

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »

so had basically had jumped into a gangfight with some pirates and patrols and had like half a dozen quick fights in a row, and then shortly afterward had a chain of missions that i did at the same time and now half the factions are finally at war with each other finally and missions have either been more common or ive just been getting luckier.  think ive finally gotten ahead and am about to drop my first colony.  thanks fellas.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:48 PM »

so had basically had jumped into a gangfight with some pirates and patrols and had like half a dozen quick fights in a row, and then shortly afterward had a chain of missions that i did at the same time and now half the factions are finally at war with each other finally and missions have either been more common or ive just been getting luckier.  think ive finally gotten ahead and am about to drop my first colony.  thanks fellas.

Be careful with colonies. Lay low with them by not using AI cores or installing very attention gaining industries like fuel production or heavy industries unless you've got the money to build defences and/or defend the planet yourself.

Hegemony will also attack your colonies if they have a Free Port status but that one is just way too profitable to pass up in most cases anyway, especially if your planet is barely in the positive.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 10:16:35 PM »

The core worlds also have ruins on uncolonized planets that are already explored(so you can see them in your intel/map tab if you click on the right filter on the bottom). If you explore them all you're bound to make some pretty nice quick cash with little effort. That isn't going to be viable in the next major update, enjoy it while you can!

Warlord-616x

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 05:11:46 PM »

ya the planet i ended up with had mid grade ruins and one of the others had low grade.  think it finished out my low grade set of blue prints.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 11:42:49 PM »

As of right now. The BEST way to make money is to take targeted bountied.

If you get bad rolls on targets, do a quick survey mission while you wait.

You could do trade missions or take the black market route, but it doesn't scale well as 2000 units of even mechs or drugs will not be anywhere near the profits of a high level bounty.

Not to mention if you don't do combat your not gonna get any real amount of EXP.
Pages: [1] 2