Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 596085 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #630 on: November 12, 2020, 03:23:34 PM »

So we'll be seeing a 1 OP Universal weapon in vanilla, right? Right? ;D

EDIT: Is it required to set the primary type for HYBRID/SYNERGY/COMPOSITE/UNIVERSAL weapons?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:27:12 PM by SafariJohn »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »

IIRC it's not required.

Doubtful :)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 13, 2020, 04:07:47 AM »

Alex, I know you're tight lipped on spoilers, but can you describe at least one of the new colony boosting items?

Will they be distributed among core colonies?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 04:10:00 AM by Sabaton »

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2020, 06:01:08 AM »

Alex, I know you're tight lipped on spoilers, but can you describe at least one of the new colony boosting items?

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1210301167709937668
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 13, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1210301167709937668

I know about that, but I'm asking about a description so we get more info than a gif.

And since the gif is about a portable star.... how about making starless systems a bit dim/dark? Maybe with [REDACTED] creeping around?

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 13, 2020, 07:48:09 AM »

The weapon type stuff sounds like fun. I have a hard time thinking up weapons I'd actually want to straddle slot types (the closest I can think of is some kind of energy-missile or rocket-gun weapon), but knowing it's something I can do now fills me with glee.

I assume this is a decision that's linked to all the REDACTED special weapons you've been showing off?

Okawal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 13, 2020, 09:24:20 AM »

So after seeing the IR Pulse Laser flux cost reduction (and the general buff to energy weapons) i was thinking that maybe we hit the point were we can actually make Pulse Laser (Medium Size) a 1.0 flux/damage weapon.
As long Kinetic Damage is as good as it is right now it shouldn't affect the balance as much. Maybe you would switch out a HE Weapon for Pulse Laser(if you only face low armor targes).
Or does this cause energy weapons to become too efficient as a general purpose weapon? (as they get a -10% flux cost reduction [elite] AND a damage buff for short ranges / high flux levels skill)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:27:30 AM by Okawal »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 13, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »

So after seeing the IR Pulse Laser flux cost reduction (and the general buff to energy weapons) i was thinking that maybe we hit the point were we can actually make Pulse Laser (Medium Size) a 1.0 flux/damage weapon.
As long Kinetic Damage is as good as it is right now it shouldn't affect the balance as much. Maybe you would switch out a HE Weapon for Pulse Laser(if you only face low armor targes).
Or does this cause energy weapons to become too efficient as a general purpose weapon? (as they get a -10% flux cost reduction [elite] AND a damage buff for short ranges / high flux levels skill)
Oh god yes please, let Wolf actually be capable of firing something and not overfluxing in 2 seconds.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 13, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »

Oh god yes please, let Wolf actually be capable of firing something and not overfluxing in 2 seconds.
Yes.  Pulse Laser is too inefficient, even if it is more efficient than Heavy Blaster.

I suppose there is Graviton Beam plus Advanced Optics and that new hard flux beam hullmods, which seems like too many hoops to jump through (plus something new characters will not have).

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 13, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »

IIRC it's not required.

Doubtful :)

Ah, bugger. I guess my first 0.95a campaign whill have me feel extra painful for all those empty small mounts where a nice 1OP PD weapon could fit :P
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 13, 2020, 11:57:46 AM »

Hmm. Well, one of them has "cryoarithmetic" in the name :)

.... how about making starless systems a bit dim/dark? Maybe with [REDACTED] creeping around?

They are darker already! Just not to the point where stuff would be super hard to see.

The weapon type stuff sounds like fun. I have a hard time thinking up weapons I'd actually want to straddle slot types (the closest I can think of is some kind of energy-missile or rocket-gun weapon), but knowing it's something I can do now fills me with glee.

I assume this is a decision that's linked to all the REDACTED special weapons you've been showing off?

... maybe.

It might, but also I think the Pulse Laser is pretty good as-is - it's solid DPS and loadouts using it have a much easier time being flux-neutral on high-tech ships, which have generally better flux stats than ships using ballistics. Some of the help it's getting, actually, is from the new Breach missile existing.

The energy weapons skill might turn out to be too good overall, but we'll see :)

This is more of a Wolf thing - it has pretty poor dissipation, and trying to balance a medium energy weapon around this would be a mistake. That said, with the new autofire management AI changes, it can easily handle a Pulse Laser without running into any flux problems due to using it.

Ah, bugger. I guess my first 0.95a campaign whill have me feel extra painful for all those empty small mounts where a nice 1OP PD weapon could fit :P

Fair enough - but I'll just say that I don't see "having a 1 OP weapon that defaults into every empty small slot" as a good thing design-wise.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 13, 2020, 12:15:17 PM »

Hmm. Well, one of them has "cryoarithmetic" in the name :)
Did you google what Landauer limit is or something?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 13, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »

EDIT: Is it required to set the primary type for HYBRID/SYNERGY/COMPOSITE/UNIVERSAL weapons?

idk why but something in my brain would be deeply pleased if the player has an infinite amount of 0 OP mining lasers or something & a "fill empty slots with mining lasers" button
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2020, 05:35:41 PM »

idk why but something in my brain would be deeply pleased if the player has an infinite amount of 0 OP mining lasers or something & a "fill empty slots with mining lasers" button

My brain would not. I think it would look patently absurd for a Dominator or Onslaught to be spewing lasers all over the place. I think a 0-OP "default" weapon creates more problems than it solves for both gameplay and aesthetics. I guess I don't have a need to fill every weapons slot, or to put it another way, there are justifiable reasons to leave slots empty.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2020, 10:54:57 PM »

How about we have different weapon covers at 0 OP.

Jokes aside.

The only possibility I see that has some sense is to have multiple use functions for 0OP weapons. So players will have multiple options like flares, vents, armor, drones... etc like hull mods. But that already overlap. So maybe it could be a cool idea for mods.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 146