Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 595758 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #285 on: October 20, 2020, 07:54:58 PM »

I think you have to be very careful about buffing TPC efficiency. It hits quite hard against armor/hull so you kinda have to block with shields unlike kinetics with similar efficiency. Maybe there's a balance point somewhere in there though. I think a big part of the problem is actually the range. TPC outranges kinetics so the onslaught has often already spent half its flux pool on TPCs before it can even use the kinetics that might compensate for its weaker flux stats.
Normally true, but not if Onslaught uses Gauss Cannon.  I have used Gauss Cannon a few times on Onslaught (during mid-game) for long-range assault.

That said, AI being too trigger-happy with TPCs is annoying.

I do not mind TPCs being efficient.  Trying to fill mounts with good weapons is hard enough even without TPCs interfering.  I would love to put HAG or better on Onslaught but it costs too much flux for comfort.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 20, 2020, 08:40:31 PM »

Onslaught needs all the help it can get in light of various other ship buffs that have come with time. If not better TPC or flux tweaks then slap another 250 armor on it to bring her up to 2,000. I was sad to see that only the Enforcer got buffs—I was expecting to see the Dominator and Onslaught on there too, Alex bringing the three low-tech boys up to par...

13 new super weapons though for some end game threat—that has me pretty stoked! To make use of 13 new weapons you'd probably need at least 4 brand new ships! Hoorah!

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »

How does the AI act with Breach pods so far?
Alex, please put 1 Locust, 2 medium Breach, 3 small Sabot on a Gryphon and have it fight an Apogee, both on autopilot
What is the order of Gryphon's weapons usage?

Please make Thumper cost 7 OP.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:23:24 PM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »

With regards to the TPCs: my main issue is that the AI will often fire the whole battery when only 1 of the guns is on target. Whenever that happens, the effective flux per shot doubles. IIRC there have been tweaks to firing logic so if thats no longer the case the weapons would be much better.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »

The easy fix for that, for player builds, is to put the TPC firing group on Alternating. That should probably happen to vanilla variants as well.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2020, 10:45:19 PM »

The easy fix for that, for player builds, is to put the TPC firing group on Alternating. That should probably happen to vanilla variants as well.

Alternating does nothing. TPCs are too rapid firing to try adjusting aim every single shot.

Putting them into separate groups and toggling autofire to use them works, but also has drawbacks:
- it's awkward compared to manual fire.
- you are left with only 3 remaining weapon groups, which is sub-optimal. Basically PD, Missiles and everything else. No fine flux management or manual control for most weapons possible.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2020, 11:00:44 PM »

TPCs don't need a buff - just loosen their inner firing angle a bit so we don't have to hit with one TPC and miss with the other. Easy.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 20, 2020, 11:14:22 PM »

TPCs don't need a buff - just loosen their inner firing angle a bit so we don't have to hit with one TPC and miss with the other. Easy.
Nah I like Alex's approach more. Making them hit closer to each other would be very bad for smaller ships. I think the whole point of those guns is to fire at massive targets and ravage everything without spending too much flux. I don't think they're supposed to be sniper weapons.
Please don't take me too seriously.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2020, 11:29:37 PM »

Alternating does nothing. TPCs are too rapid firing to try adjusting aim every single shot.
The AI can do it. Maybe I should have been more specific and said "player builds for AI use".

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2020, 12:57:58 AM »

@Alex
Any words about that terrible tariffs?
Maybe make them scale down based on reputation and commission?

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 21, 2020, 02:22:59 AM »

@Alex
Any words about that terrible tariffs?
Maybe make them scale down based on reputation and commission?
Yes please!

As well as increasing when your rep goes below zero.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:33:40 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

CoverdInBees

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2020, 03:15:56 AM »

Will we be able to go beyond 5 weapon groups next patch? I've seen it being suggested and discussed a couple of times but can't remember if you (Alex) weighed in on it or not, and if so what your opinion on it was.
Does seem like something that might easily have slipped the patch notes even you implemented it.

Nope! It's just enough of a pain to do that I'm hesitant to "just do it".

<snip>

Ah too bad. Seemed like something that might be relatively simple from my layman perspective. Then again i guess it would tie into quite a lot of different things including AI logic.

Oh well, i'm a lazy pilot in this game anyway so it won't make too much difference for the ships i personally fly. And i guess the cases where it might really be beneficial for an AI loadout are niche enough that it's not worth a lot of development time and effort either.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2020, 03:29:38 AM »

Do combat skills really make that much of a difference ???? They never seemed worth it to me, at least on paper, over the skill that get me a faster, cheaper, better, more resourceful, etc., etc., fleet and 10 officers to cover all my combat skill needs. One of the things I was actually hoping for in the next patch was logistics officers, people that can get the non-combat skills and leave me free to focus on combat without sacrificing my fleet's abilities, logistics profile and/or - somewhat importantly - combat performance. Fleet Logistics 3, Fighter Doctrine, Loadout Design, all useful skills that no officer in the game can cover for me...

Of course with all the changes coming I've no idea of that idea is still relevant - or whether it was even relevant in the first place, apparently - so we'll just have to see.
Your own skill at piloting ships by itself can better than any AI officer. If you augment that, your flagship can match entire fleets or space stations with just token support. Or without any support, if your flagship happens to be a Conquest or a Paragon.
Don't actually watch the Conquest stream, it's terribly boring most of the time.

About TPCs: the only comparison that makes sense is with ballistic weapons, because those are the only weapons you can choose to fire instead of TPCs. Against them, TPC has a bit of range and burst, but lacks efficiency. Since Onslaught has little flux, the best course of action is not to use TPCs at all, unless it's the only weapon in range and you have no flux. Increasing efficiency of TPCs makes firing them less of a mistake, which helps the AI which does this all the time...

Dampfnudel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 21, 2020, 05:20:45 AM »

Can we please get a buff to PD?

Like giving PD a modifier that increases damage to fighters and missiles but reduces damage to everything else.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 21, 2020, 05:30:34 AM »

I would like more efficient TPCs so AI does not kill itself by being trigger-happy with TPCs (by emptying two full clips at the earliest opportunity) then rest of the other weapons firing.

That is not good enough for AI.

What helps more is putting each TPC in separate groups, but the biggest problem with that is lack of weapon groups.  Five is not enough for comfort.  Two taken by TPCs, three left for everything else, and I would like one empty group for no group selected.  I would want at least seven weapon groups for Onslaught with TPCs in separate groups.  (Two for TPCs, four for the rest of Onslaught's weapons, and one more to de-select all weapons.)

Come to think of it, there should be a key to de-select all groups without reserving an empty group and selecting it.  It would make five groups more tolerable.

The AI can do it. Maybe I should have been more specific and said "player builds for AI use".
I would like to build for "everybody" use, since I frequently swap ships in mid-battle, and I do not want AI to kill itself if I give my flagship to it.  This is one reason Odyssey is my least favorite capital, thanks in part to plasma burn.

Added Breach SRM (small) and Breach SRM Pod (medium), a new anti-armor missile
Medium version has high ammo, small version is extremely cheap
I wonder how the pod compares with Annihilators.  It would be nice if the new Breach pod lasts at least as long as Locusts.  Even with Expanded Missile Racks, Annihilators do not last long enough in big battles, and Onslaught that relies on Annihilators feels like a quasi-SO ship.  If Breach pods last long, and are effective enough, they might replace Annihilator pods on my Onslaught loadouts.

Often, I pick Conquest over Onslaught because Locusts last longer than Annihilators.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:59:04 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 146