Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: BUG: Eradicator Assault Laser (from a mod) does not target enemy frigades  (Read 1188 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile

First and foremost, I know this is not the right section to post this and I'm sorry for that, but I've searched for the mod containing this weapon for twenty minutes and could not find it. I will Copy/Paste the OP into the mod in question once it's pointed out to good ol' dumb me  :P

I've fiddled for about an hour with ship designs because I wanted to try mod weapons I did not use until now, when I noticed that the AI for some reason does not use the Eradicator Assault Laser against Frigades for a reason I can't even phathom. It works just fine against everything else but will not fire against frigades even when I control the ship myself and leave it on Autofire.

The Weapon in question:
Spoiler
[close]
It Targets Capitals
Spoiler
[close]
It Targets Cruisers
Spoiler
[close]
It Targets Destroyers
Spoiler
[close]
It Targets Carriers
Spoiler
[close]
It does not target Frigades (It also does not shoot at fighters, but I don't think that's a bug)
Spoiler
[close]

Things I've tried to fix it and did not work:
1) Removing Integrated Targeting Unit
2) Removing Point Defence AI
3) Installing it on Different ship
4) Installing it on a Vanilla Ship
5) Installing it on a Ship with a large ENERGY mount instead of a HYBRID one

Edit: Regarding the weapon, I think it either needs to be more expensive, cost more flux to fire, decrease the number of max charges to 2 or decrease its max range to at least be on par with the Autopulse laser to be viable and not quite disgusting if installed properly. It's a bootleg, medium range, non-EMP tach lance that does massive armor and HP damage but that also does a better job bursting small ships down than the Autopulse Laser in basically every way with Extended mags. The only two somewhat trivial drawbacks compared to the Autopulse is that it's 2 more OP to install and that it requires a lot more flux to fire per beam.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:25:12 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile

First and foremost, I know this is not the right section to post this and I'm sorry for that, but I've searched for the mod containing this weapon for twenty minutes and could not find it. I will Copy/Paste the OP into the mod in question once it's pointed out to good ol' dumb me  :P
ahem
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Well, I'm going to post it in the correct section next time :)

Thank you Retry and Thaago!

Edit: Autocorrect decided to call you Terry by the way, Retry :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:59:57 AM by Arcagnello »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Does the weapon have the "STRIKE" tag in the weapons.csv file?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Does the weapon have the "STRIKE" tag in the weapons.csv file?

I do not know where to go in order to see that actually. I'm on the phone right know but will get back to my laptop and see how to extract the necessary information required to see this bug through!

Edit: I've searched for weapons.csv in the game files and only stumbled upon three files:

mining_weapons, prism_weapons and prism_weapons_blacklist

and I have absolutely no clue a)if I'm in the right place b)how to see if the Eradicator Assault Laser has a strike tag if it's in there.

I'll search thru the forum for weapon.csv and see what I can gather by myself on the matter. Will surrender to my own inexperience and post in this thread again if I'm unsuccessful  ::)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:22:13 PM by Arcagnello »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

It's weapon_data.csv, and I went and checked Tahlan's weapon_data.csv; it does, indeed, have the STRIKE tag.

The chances are very good this is 100% intended behavior, and it fits the weapon design; better not to have it waste shots on fighters. If you want it to shoot frigates, you can add the USE_VS_FRIGATES tag with a comma:

Code
STRIKE, USE_VS_FRIGATES

And that should work just fine.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It's weapon_data.csv, and I went and checked Tahlan's weapon_data.csv; it does, indeed, have the STRIKE tag.

The chances are very good this is 100% intended behavior, and it fits the weapon design; better not to have it waste shots on fighters. If you want it to shoot frigates, you can add the USE_VS_FRIGATES tag with a comma:

Code
STRIKE, USE_VS_FRIGATES

And that should work just fine.

Thank you for the reply! I will attempt this code change soon.

I don't see the reason why it behaves differently than a tachyon Lance AI wise tough. It is arguably even better at dealing with frigades than it's non-bootleg stepbrother since it's way more damage efficient and can fire in a 3 to 4 beam burst.

The things the Eradicator Assault Laser does to small ships when installed on fast attack cruisers/destroyers.... You've got to treat yourself with the experience. The only thing that gets anywhere close to being as good is a [database_error] uber rare weapon that's basically a very flux inefficient supersized version of a heavy blaster that does something like 3k energy and 2k EMP damage with every incredibly slow shell it fires.